• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Our next five opponents

@Purdue - play well and this is very winnable now
Northwestern - This will be a tight game but winnable
@Minnesota - most winnable game left on the schedule
@Penn State - loss
Iowa - toss-up

Not enough to save Riley's job, as none of these wins will be memorable or of any significance.
@Purdue - play well and this is very winnable now
Northwestern - This will be a tight game but winnable
@Minnesota - most winnable game left on the schedule
@Penn State - loss
Iowa - toss-up

Not enough to save Riley's job, as none of these wins will be memorable or of any significance.
I disagree. Unless something catastrophic happens, losing all the games, Riley will be here through next year.

If this team wins out, I'll take Riley back because something will have had to dramatically change. Flipped the switch, gelled, got it, bought in, whatever cliche applies. 5-0 down the stretch and he's earned another year.
Yeah, I can’t imagine the next couple of seasons making great strides, but we’ll see what happens soon. Simply can’t imagine the next team making huge strides. Not thrilled about QBs just trying to maintain the modern.

I disagree. Unless something catastrophic happens, losing all the games, Riley will be here through next year.
I wouldn’t want him maintaining the present. Riley can’t actually appear ready to to turn us into a talented team!

Yeah, I can’t imagine the next couple of seasons making great strides, but we’ll see what happens soon. Simply can’t imagine the next team making huge strides. Not thrilled about QBs just trying to maintain the modern.

I could never have imagine such sustained mediocrity either. I've typically been upbeat about possibilities and potential for improvement, but damn.

I wouldn’t want him maintaining the present. Riley can’t actually appear ready to to turn us into a talented team!

AP Top 25 college football poll: Nebraska up to No. 8, Cornhuskers' highest ranking since 2011
Updated on October 16, 2016
at 2:42 PMPosted on October 16, 2016 at 1:47 PM
I am not throwing in the towel at this point. Yes, some bad things have happened. But, we can and will get better. The Defense is the key. They must perform at a much higher level.

After watching Purdue v Wisconsin and then v Rutgers, I'm torn on what to think. Prior to yesterday, I thought Nebraska's chances of beating them were slim to none. Nebraska was fortunate to have its bye week when it did. Purdue now looks like a possibility but Nebraska needs to get its defensive problems figured out.

We saw what Nebraska did against Michigan State in '15 when their backs were against the wall at 3-6. Penn St on the road - after watching them against Michigan - looks torturous. But start rolling with some momentum and then who knows - it's why they play the games. Get wiped out at Penn St then it boils down to Iowa. Rating the final 5:
  1. Penn State: Weakness? I don't see one. Northwestern "had" a great defensive plan for Penn State's offense but their offense kept imploding.
  2. Iowa: problems all over the field but Ferentz seems to get his team sky high for Nebraska.
  3. Purdue: an even match-up statistically. Before Rutgers, I thought they were above Iowa.
  4. Northwestern: Jekyll & Hyde. Pass defense is nearly as bad as Nebraska's.
  5. Minnesota: the team is a mess. Buffalo, Oregon St and Middle Tennessee are their three wins.
I'm not the eternal optimist but it starts with the next game (cliché I know). A win builds confidence and multiple wins create momentum and that can change the psyche of an entire team. Unfortunately, Nebraska's psyche is in the dumpster. I don't see a shred of evidence that says the D has enough confidence to stop anything more than a Pop Warner team (e.g. Illinois and Rutgers). Beat Purdue and gain some confidence. Lose to Purdue, the smoke turns into fire and the tailspin starts.

After watching Purdue v Wisconsin and then v Rutgers, I'm torn on what to think. Prior to yesterday, I thought Nebraska's chances of beating them were slim to none. Nebraska was fortunate to have its bye week when it did. Purdue now looks like a possibility but Nebraska needs to get its defensive problems figured out.

We saw what Nebraska did against Michigan State in '15 when their backs were against the wall at 3-6. Penn St on the road - after watching them against Michigan - looks torturous. But start rolling with some momentum and then who knows - it's why they play the games. Get wiped out at Penn St then it boils down to Iowa. Rating the final 5:
  1. Penn State: Weakness? I don't see one. Northwestern "had" a great defensive plan for Penn State's offense but their offense kept imploding.
  2. Iowa: problems all over the field but Ferentz seems to get his team sky high for Nebraska.
  3. Purdue: an even match-up statistically. Before Rutgers, I thought they were above Iowa.
  4. Northwestern: Jekyll & Hyde. Pass defense is nearly as bad as Nebraska's.
  5. Minnesota: the team is a mess. Buffalo, Oregon St and Middle Tennessee are their three wins.
I'm not the eternal optimist but it starts with the next game (cliché I know). A win builds confidence and multiple wins create momentum and that can change the psyche of an entire team. Unfortunately, Nebraska's psyche is in the dumpster. I don't see a shred of evidence that says the D has enough confidence to stop anything more than a Pop Warner team (e.g. Illinois and Rutgers). Beat Purdue and gain some confidence. Lose to Purdue, the smoke turns into fire and the tailspin starts.

What's amazing is how good the schedule sets up for Nebraska if DONU had team that was ready to play that schedule!
PSU has no weaknesses NOW, but I guarantee you the week we play them Sorley and Barkley will not be the same players you saw last night against Michigan. They have two more very physical games to play (OSU and MSU) that will leave them vulnerable who they play us. NOT that we will be able to take advantage with the team we have but we SHOULD be able to, this was the year!

The other four are also eminently beatable, and also facing physical games before they play us.

BUT, the team that can't beat NIU in LINCOLN is unlikely to run this clearly winnable schedule, which is NOT the schedule's fault!!

Now if you want to see a schedule nightmare, go look at 2018: playing all the wrong teams, in the wrong cities. I may need to start medications in June if by some horror scenario Riley is still coach next year.

AP Top 25 college football poll: Nebraska up to No. 8, Cornhuskers' highest ranking since 2011
Updated on October 16, 2016
at 2:42 PMPosted on October 16, 2016 at 1:47 PM
I am not throwing in the towel at this point. Yes, some bad things have happened. But, we can and will get better. The Defense is the key. They must perform at a much higher level.

I can't take much stock in that ranking and the first half of that season when you look at what came before it and after it. We were winning at the time, but not looking like barn-burners . . . and, quite literally, everyone else ahead of us was losing when we got up that high. We were moving up more based on people ahead of us getting knocked off than us impressing anyone. And I think you'll recall how the last several games of that season went.

The defense has not been great, that's for sure. But the offense has been pretty abysmal to go along with it. Offense straight-up lost the NIU game. And that side of the ball has given away too many points (pick 6's), failed to sustain drives, and failed to score WAY more than should be expected in year 3 with "their system" fully in place.

Last edited:
Every game is winnable. You're being dramatic to suggest otherwise. So what if the odds do not favor us. Footballs don't dribble well and it might just bounce our way against the Penn.

It's time to drop Iowa as a rivalry. They are superior to us in culture under Riley, but inferior in about everything else.

Purdue and Northwestern both play Mr Jeckel against NU every year. It's time to bury the idea that either is equivalent.

Fleck will be dangerous when he gets the team in focus. Win while he's down. We might not see them disorganized in the future.

What happened to Mike Riley the underdog giantslayer? If NU doesn't go 5-0 it's because like everything else predicted about him, it's not reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back