• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Our next five opponents

If he wins 8 with the bowl win, that will be better than most people that saw practices predicted.

I believe *** said if we win 9 Riley should get thoughts of coach of the year.

We're young, if the players can rally and play well the rest of the year, we should keep Riley unless there is a lock home run hire out there. Right now, there isn't such a hire anyone knows of.
Actually, I would let Riley go one loss quicker if Frost becomes available this year than if he doesn't. If our AD is any good he's going to get some ears on Frost about that. I can fully imagine Riley getting another year at a worse record if Frost isn't seeking to move this year. And I'm not saying it will happen because it would be out of the ordinary, but I can even see a potential deal out there about it, depending on what's most important to the parties.

Not because Frost is definitely better than any other candidate, but if he moves Nebraska wants him. I agree with you the other coaches that might be available are not unique opportunities.

Last edited:

He's no where near Urban status, that's just absurd.

How's Tom Herman doing? What about McElwain? Which is about where Frost is at.

Frost may be great but saying he's a home run hire right now is a guess at best. Plenty of coaches have done well for a year.
I didn’t say he was a good as Urban, I’m just saying he’s the “next big thing.”

I’d take MeElwain’s results any day over Riley’s and twice on Sunday.

It’s mid year in Herman’s 1st year at TX. He didn’t inherit a 9 win team with 17 returning starters like Riley. No one is saying Frost will win the BIG in year 1.

If you judge Penn State solely by how they looked against Michigan, yeah, they will completely dominate us.

But if you also look at how they played against a mediocre Iowa team, they're as susceptible to having a bad game as anyone else.

Still, I agree that it will be almost impossible for us to beat them. Every other team on the schedule is beatable.

Iowa made some plays to keep the game against PSU close, and that's to their credit. However, if you just looked at the box score you would have thought Penn State would have won by four plus touchdowns. PSU would roll Iowa nine times out of ten.

Our stretch run highlights how bad the B1G West really is. It's a chance for Riley to get some needed wins but there's not really much opportunity to make a statement that the program is progressing unless the Huskers win those games with some degree of comfort through solid play from start to finish. We're in the right division to make rapid progress if we get the program headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

@Purdue - play well and this is very winnable now
Northwestern - This will be a tight game but winnable
@Minnesota - most winnable game left on the schedule
@Penn State - loss
Iowa - toss-up

Not enough to save Riley's job, as none of these wins will be memorable or of any significance.

Hard to argue with that. We really SHOULD be able to beat Purdue, NW & Minny . . . and if we can't, that speaks volumes. Purdue looked pretty bad yesterday--not sure if that's more representative of them not really being that good or of them having a more 'off" day. But their offense is the kind that worries me as they throw a lot at you and run a lot of the same concepts that have torn us up (just with less talent). NW always seems to be a tight game and they have been hot/cold. Minny played MSU tight.

I don't think we have a prayer at PSU beyond something purely miraculous . . . like half their team gets the flu the morning of the game and NU plays the game of it's season. I think we get rolled hard in that one. Iowa is 50/50 as you said.

Little room for error, IMHO--I'd much prefer Riley and his guys figure it out, but nothing really leads me to believe that's realistic. Really wish we weren't back at this point already. Here we are, though.

Actually, I would let Riley go one loss quicker if Frost becomes available this year than if he doesn't. If our AD is any good he's going to get some ears on Frost about that. I can fully imagine Riley getting another year at a worse record if Frost isn't seeking to move this year. And I'm not saying it will happen because it would be out of the ordinary, but I can even see a potential deal out there about it, depending on what's most important to the parties.

Not because Frost is definitely better than any other candidate, but if he moves Nebraska wants him. I agree with you the other coaches that might be available are not unique opportunities.
I think they will be able to find that out. Mentioned this before and take this with a grain of salt because this came from a friend of a friend but Frost indicated he’d be on the next flight out if a call was placed asking him to come home. But things could change, he’s having a kid. Maybe momma wants to stay in FL. But the bottom line is Moos will know whether he is open to coming or not.

This discussion will reset with every remaining week, with new twists depending on how Nebraska looks in each game, as well as how big the team wins or loses. It's inevitable, and something that plays out on Huskermax and elsewhere as all this drama unfolds.

That being said, if Purdue fixes what was broken versus Rutgers and manages to defeat Nebraska at home Saturday night, this whole thing gets even uglier. Nebraska cannot lose to Purdue 2 out of 3 years, especially when the Boilers are being led by a new coach in that 3rd year.

I think they will be able to find that out. Mentioned this before and take this with a grain of salt because this came from a friend of a friend but Frost indicated he’d be on the next flight out if a call was placed asking him to come home. But things could change, he’s having a kid. Maybe momma wants to stay in FL. But the bottom line is Moos will know whether he is open to coming or not.
Gotta figure. If nothing else, TO could ask and then tell Moos without it officially having been Moos's question. After all, Frost is on the record as respecting Tom Osborne quite a bit. ;) That would make hm a good go-between.

Last edited:
Very possible. Or you could be wrong, too. And we speculate that Riley needs to win 4 of those, but pure speculation it is at this point.

It's madness for sure though, that Nebraska is in such a position.

I agree. I think a coaching change is likely but not yet a foregone conclusion. The margin for error is razor thin. It might not just take winning four of five for Riley to stay, but also having our play "look like football."

My guess is Green, Bounds and Moos have a pretty strong idea of what will happen. The rest of us are just guessing. I think we have the most favorable administrative structure in place that we've had during our wandering in the desert. That gives me some hope we finally have a chance to get it right.

Last edited:

@Purdue - play well and this is very winnable now
Northwestern - This will be a tight game but winnable
@Minnesota - most winnable game left on the schedule
@Penn State - loss
Iowa - toss-up

Not enough to save Riley's job, as none of these wins will be memorable or of any significance.
This is not a true statement. Any win on the road is big these days. Ask OU or Clemson or better yet NIU. Our guys have the talent and the ability to win out except for the Lions which will be a tall order but if you stop Mc Sorely and Barkley or at least slow them down it can be a game. If the Husker sleep walk through the games ala OSU, we wont win any. They need to realize they are playing for respectibility and come out with their hair on fire.

As an added note, their PSU WHITEOUT is a dismal show of loyalty. God it looked like the seats had been snowed on and where were the fans.

Frost is appearing to be the real deal and he is tough as nails and remembers the old PHYSICAL days. He cannot be allowed to go to another P5 school.

Last edited:
I think the dye is cast and there will be a change at the end of the season.
But, I will give this a one game at a time approach for now.

Purdue has less talent than NU but is playing better than NU.

Yes, that is sad to say after Purdue lost to Rutgers. Statistically they dominated Rutgers, but they turned the ball over. They also played much better against Wisconsin than we did. They actually held up physically to the Badgers. Nebraska obviously did not.

From what I have watched Purdue is a tougher and more physical team than NU.
That was hard to type.

I expect Purdue to bounce back and give NU a real tough time as they will come out with emotion and fire. They will be ticked off and still see NU as an opportunity to show progress. Can NU match that emotion and play up to it's potential? Recent history says it's doubtful.

This game will be close IMO. A loss ends all speculation about Coach Riley's future in Lincoln. A win gives the Northwestern game a small bit of meaning.

So many other threads to comment as such instead of coming into a thread that is actually trying to have a discussion on the final five games of the season. Why not actually try to comment on the OP instead of turning this into yet another Riley is gone thread?

Thanks

RR
Not any worse than members taking personal attacks at others for expressing an opinion

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back