• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What I want..a Husker wishlist

Yep

Not as pretty as Kevin Kugler
5 Year Member
First post, finally joined...

I think the discussion has been too focused on "a guy" rather than what Husker football should be again. As Moos puts together his blueprint for Husker football I hope it includes this list (and more).
  • Toughness (physical and mental)
  • Player/position competition
  • Discipline (stern, straightforward and fair)
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Players being benched for mistakes
  • Players that practice like its Saturday every day
  • Playtime based on how you practice
  • Counters, Traps and Options
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
These are qualities of the teams I remember watching and some of what I would like returned to this program. If Moos defines Husker football as something I remember watching for a long time, I will be fine if he keeps Riley, hires Frost or the man on the moon. As long as he thinks that person is the right one to restore Husker football to what it once was and should be again.

One of the beat writers said when Riley was hired he well could be a transistional coach. I think we have the answer. Moos knows what he wants, needs and evidently it is similar to what Green and Bounds think we need as well. He is the first step in their vision of Nebraska football.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

I think the discussion has been too focused on "a guy" rather than what Husker football should be again. As Moos puts together his blueprint for Husker football I hope it includes this list (and more).
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
These are qualities of the teams I remember watching and some of what I would like returned to this program. If Moos defines Husker football as something I remember watching for a long time, I will be fine if he keeps Riley, hires Frost or the man on the moon. As long as he thinks that person is the right one to restore Husker football to what it once was and should be again.
Welcome aboard! I agree with all of your bullet points, especially the very first one and the last one. If those two things happen, everything in the middle will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yep
One of the beat writers said when Riley was hired he well could be a transistional coach. I think we have the answer. Moos knows what he wants, needs and evidently it is similar to what Green and Bounds think we need as well. He is the first step in their vision of Nebraska football.

Welcome to the forum.
I was hoping that's what Eichorst had in mind when he hired Riley . I'm fairly certain he didn't, so its almost ironic how this could play out.

Last edited:

duplicate, still learning

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I agree with all of your bullet points, especially the very first one and the last one. If those two things happen, everything in the middle will take care of itself.
Thank you...agree the middle will take care of itself ...

Welcome. For the record, we all want that.
Yep, that is what we all want. Some are saying Moos better hire Frost, fire Riley or else. I say Moos needs to define Husker football they way we all want and hire the guy he thinks best fits that. Not the other way around.

The list is nice superficially, but not realistic IMHO.
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
Toughness is role modeled. Frost is a tough role model. Riley plays a weak, frail leader.

I can't argue about needing competition. I want 3-4 scrimmages going at reps time. Mix up the opposing scouts while the side of the ball being focused upon gets reps. Run your depth chart so guys eat, sleep, live it. Every once in awhile play 1v1, 2v2, etc to see what side of the ball is ahead. What used to impress me about the walk-on program wasn't the game players. No I was always impressed how NU had a better scout team than many others had second strings. We lost that focus on manufacturing mass scrimmages. Even if you don't play in games its fun for the scrubs!

I disfavor 'benched' versus 'promotion'. Be ready for your promotion. Earn it.

Practice all-Americans are not every down players. Competition will weed out talent to a certain degree. But coaches need to rotate on potential, too. Get some quality reps in for backups every other series at least, not each game. Backups eventually want to be starters. Keep them involved.

• Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
Good post. Personally, all I look for is crispness in execution and physical play. The rest of your list IMO, are implied tasks.

The list is nice superficially, but not realistic IMHO.
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
Toughness is role modeled. Frost is a tough role model. Riley plays a weak, frail leader.

I can't argue about needing competition. I want 3-4 scrimmages going at reps time. Mix up the opposing scouts while the side of the ball being focused upon gets reps. Run your depth chart so guys eat, sleep, live it. Every once in awhile play 1v1, 2v2, etc to see what side of the ball is ahead. What used to impress me about the walk-on program wasn't the game players. No I was always impressed how NU had a better scout team than many others had second strings. We lost that focus on manufacturing mass scrimmages. Even if you don't play in games its fun for the scrubs!

I disfavor 'benched' versus 'promotion'. Be ready for your promotion. Earn it.

Practice all-Americans are not every down players. Competition will weed out talent to a certain degree. But coaches need to rotate on potential, too. Get some quality reps in for backups every other series at least, not each game. Backups eventually want to be starters. Keep them involved.
Be sure to have your resume ready when the time comes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back