• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim Walden says Nebraska's getting a new head football coach

There is no way anyone should believe that MR will step away without getting 100% of what he is owed, nor should he. Is this the new Nebraska way, steal his money on the way out after shortchanging him on time? I don't think so...

If he's fired, he gets it all. No question. I'm not suggesting NU 'steal' anything, merely that rather than fire him a negotiation would take place and a new agreement reached. It happens all the time in all businesses. Nothing underhanded about it in the least. He can say 'Nah, I'm good' and get fired. Great.

There is no way anyone should believe that MR will step away without getting 100% of what he is owed, nor should he. Is this the new Nebraska way, steal his money on the way out after shortchanging him on time? I don't think so...

If two parties come to an agreement, it’s not stealing.

People are simply suggesting that people are complex and what motivates one person will not necessarily motivate another. It’s just as legitimate to think MR might retire, or come to some settlement, as it is to assume he would demand every nickel “coming to ‘em”.

Mike is the nicest coach in football. That makes him unique in and of itself.

Well, MR was stupid enough to not install his offense for 2 years, so maybe he will be dumb enough to leave in disgrace and without the money he is owed, could be.

Well, MR was stupid enough to not install his offense for 2 years, so maybe he will be dumb enough to leave in disgrace and without the money he is owed, could be.

Maybe it's me, but with the money he's made in his career thus far and his allegedly frugal lifestyle, he's more than likely set for life before any buyout or negotiation.

Personally, I'd rather sit down with an employer and negotiate a settlement fired. I've never been fired and would like to keep it that way. I'm guessing Riley would also like to save face in the coaching community and walk away with a modicum of dignity. He seems to me to be a very genuine person and most folks I've met like that wouldn't take what they didn't feel they didn't earn. I guess it's really down to that. What's important to him may not be the money, but his own self respect.

Maybe it's me, but with the money he's made in his career thus far and his allegedly frugal lifestyle, he's more than likely set for life before any buyout or negotiation.

Personally, I'd rather sit down with an employer and negotiate a settlement fired. I've never been fired and would like to keep it that way. I'm guessing Riley would also like to save face in the coaching community and walk away with a modicum of dignity. He seems to me to be a very genuine person and most folks I've met like that wouldn't take what they didn't feel they didn't earn. I guess it's really down to that. What's important to him may not be the money, but his own self respect.
Yeah, there's no reason he couldn't "retire" and settle for less that the terms of his remaining agreement (or all of it really) but it seems like it's all good.

Last edited:

Crab, don't bother. I'm sure he'll take a shot at Osborne, the women's volleyball team, the sellout streak, and academics soon enough.

If we are going to pay him anyway I'd like to see us use him in some role befitting his skill set. Assistant ad of some sort.

Riley should be fired, and the terms of his contract fulfilled. I don't see a negotiation... that already happened when the parties agreed to the contract.
I guess it depends on how his contract was worded and written. None of us knows what's actually in his contract as far as that goes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back