• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Arkansas Game Thread (9/2/17)

I am happy with the win, but my excitement is definitely tempered by the fact we are in Riley's 3rd season and still 2 seconds away from a potential loss to a team from the Sunbelt...and it's 100% due to poor coaching decisions. There is absolutely no excuse. This should have been a 3 touchdown win. I desperately want Riley to succeed, but dang, the voices in my head are getting louder

My final thought (for anyone who gives a flip) is that for the most part the kids played hard. The coaches, however, are responsible for putting the players in position to be successful, and between DLs clock management and BDs passive scheme, they did not do a good job of that tonight. If this team is to go anywhere it has to start with the coaches.

Agree 100% in the fourth quarter.

My final thought (for anyone who gives a flip) is that for the most part the kids played hard. The coaches, however, are responsible for putting the players in position to be successful, and between DLs clock management and BDs passive scheme, they did not do a good job of that tonight. If this team is to go anywhere it has to start with the coaches.

Good quick analysis, the players played hard and that gives me optimism for the team, but the errors were stark tonight. This offense played as I would have expected against a team like Arkansas State, mostly serviceable, but not great and definitely not good in the 4th. The defensive performance speaks for itself tonight, playing vanilla to the point where the game is put away in the last few seconds doesn’t make sense and I am not going to try to pump sunshine and convince myself that it was a ploy getting ready for OU. If it was and the D smokes OU next week, great, be we will not know until then. After watching this game with the ASU offense, the team and coaches better bring their A game on D against OU.

I keep hearing this, "a team has the most improvement from the 1st to the 2nd game", while saying that one must not forget that applies to next week’s opponent and every team in the NCAA, they also have their most improvement then as well.

Final thoughts.

What a weird game. Such a long game. Our players seemed to be in a fog all night. When they were going good, they were going good. When they were going bad, they just seemed dazed—in a fog. The crowd left early. How fitting.

Another season, and one game in it is time for me to pull out a familiar theme.

We beat our opponent. We beat ourselves. Then we beat our opponent again.

We should get credit for three or four wins tonight. We kept beating them and then letting them back in again—over and over and over. First half and second half.

And it could have been worse. The touchdown they had taken off the board was awfully close. Tough call. I think it was the right call but still a huge break regardless. Morgan fumbled the safety kick but the whistle blew. Wow, we caught a break there. We just kept doing whatever we had to do to drag this game to a suspenseful BYU type finish.

Play calling. With seven minutes to go, a two touchdown lead, and gaining huge chunks of yards on the ground, why the swing pass to Stanley Morgan on second and five near midfield (which would have gained a whole yard if completed)? That forced a pass on third and five. Next series, we pass on third and four. We left huge chunks of time on the clock.

But also, why were we snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock when the game clock was running? Our game management added almost two full minutes to the end of the game by my quick calculations. (We did almost exactly the same types of things two years ago against BYU and Illinois. Remember how those games turned out.) I just don’t get it. It was like we were in a fog.

Okay, on to some positives.

Pretty good first outing for Tanner Lee. He made some big time throws. His last incompletion by the way was a pretty good play really—he threw it away because ASU was trying to sucker him into throwing a pick 6. His TD throw to Morgan was a thing of beauty. He used his TE.

I’ll repeat that. He used his TE.

He made a couple of huge third down throws to keep drives alive. He distributed the rock. He made some bad throws but given he hasn’t played a real game in two years or so, pretty nice performance. It was a performance he can build on nicely.

J.D. Spielman takes one to the house 99 yards on his very first touch. He also make a couple of nice grabs. He looks like something special.

Stanley Morgan gains over 100 yards. Could a 1,000 yard receiving season be in the works? Morgan looked like a leader out there tonight.

I guess Riley wasn’t kidding when he said they wanted to get Lindsey involved. Lindsey caught three early passes. Welcome to the Big Ten.

One more negative, De'Mornay Pierson-El. Young man, run the ball all the way into the end zone. Celebrating on the ten yard line and getting caught from behind is a good way to get royally embarrassed. Granted, that part of the play didn’t count anyway because he did step out of bounds AND he did end up being tackled in the end zone BUT he was tackled awkwardly from behind. A player can get hurt that way. Hopefully the coaches point that out to him.

Okay, back to the positives.

Tyler Hoppes with his first three career catches including one great catch at the one.

Mikale WIlbon with his first NU TD. I though Wilbon looked pretty good except for the screen play that was blown up because everyone in the stadium knew it was coming (including Arkansas State).

But the star of the offense had to be Tre Bryant. 31 carries for 192 yards is an outstanding day at the office. Bryant looked like a thousand yard rusher out there to me.

Defensively, I have commented that I am not sure what I saw out there. It seemed like we were keeping it pretty vanilla for the Oregon Ducks and we were trying to protect our young CBs. In the second half, I thought we did a much better job attacking their bubble screens which kept Arkansas State at bay for much of the half.

The substitution patterns were a bit weird to me. I saw reserves playing large chunks of minutes and some of the starters I don’t really remember seeing as the game progressed. I don’t know if there were some injuries but certainly some young players got some valuable snaps.

Ty Ferguson with his first career interception in what really amounts to his first game playing on the defense (as opposed to special teams). Luke Gifford had some nice stops especially tackling ASU players in bounds short of the first down or who knows how many more minutes we could have given them at the end of the game.

Perhaps the play of the game was Aaron Williams slapping the ball away in the end zone taking a TD off the board—that is, I believe it was Aaron Williams. Nice to see Kalu with a pick from the safety position.

By my line of sight, it seemed like Deontre Thomas actually played quite a bit. Didn’t see much of Stoltenberg in the second half. I may have just missed him.

Young with a sack. Carlos Davis with some nice pressures although his roughing the QB penalty in the first half was unfortunate.

All in all, just a weird, crazy game. Give Arkansas State credit for not only playing hard, but being patient in their game plan and approach. They never panicked. They made some costly mistakes but they kept coming at us.

First game in the books. We are 1-0 and next week’s trip to Oregon will tell us much, much more about this team.

I have no idea what I saw tonight. I suspect we are still in the same half-full, half-empty purgatory we have been in seemingly for a lifetime. Me thinks there may be some ugly games coming down the pike—hopefully some ugly wins in those games.

Better strap up and get ready for the ride. It’s going to be bumpy.

How good are we? Too early to tell.

Take care, all.

Last edited:

Don't think we needed "Dumbledore".

Sorry, but I just didn't understand Diaco's playcalling at all during this game. ASU CONTINUES to throw the screen pass time after time after time after time. Yet, NU/Diaco CONTINUES to play the DB's 10-15 yards off the ball and willingly let it happen.

I understand there will be growing pains, and I think most would attest that I didn't think NU's defense would come in and light the world on fire. But what I saw tonight, sans the first two possessions, was just downright awful, from the coaches down to the players.

We got the win, and that's great. But all I can sit here and think is: We head to Oregon in 7 days to play a much more high octane offense.
waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

I am happy with the win, but my excitement is definitely tempered by the fact we are in Riley's 3rd season and still 2 seconds away from a potential loss to a team from the Sunbelt...and it's 100% due to poor coaching decisions. There is absolutely no excuse. This should have been a 3 touchdown win. I desperately want Riley to succeed, but dang, the voices in my head are getting louder
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Final thoughts.

But also, why were we snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock when the game clock was running? Our game management added almost two full minutes to the end of the game by my quick calculations. (We did almost exactly the same types of things two years ago against BYU and Illinois. Remember how those games turned out.) I just don’t get it. It was like we were in a fog.

One more negative, De'Mornay Pierson-El. Young man, run the ball all the way into the end zone. Celebrating on the ten yard line and getting caught from behind is a good way to get royally embarrassed. Granted, that part of the play didn’t count anyway because he did step out of bounds AND he did end up being tackled in the end zone BUT he was tackled awkwardly from behind. A player can get hurt that way. Hopefully the coaches point that out to him.

Perhaps the play of the game was Aaron Williams slapping the ball away in the end zone taking a TD off the board—that is, I believe it was Aaron Williams. Nice to see Kalu with a pick from the safety position.

All in all, just a weird, crazy game. Give Arkansas State credit for not only playing hard, but being patient in their game plan and approach. They never panicked. They made some costly mistakes but they kept coming at us.

Better strap up and get ready for the ride. It’s going to be bumpy.

Yes, it was Aaron Williams making the great play in the end zone!

The above is what stood out to me.

Yes, terrible clock management in the 4th qtr, as you said, and not going for the jugular in the 4th really disappointed me. We just seemed to lose any desire to get the ball rolling and into the end zone, again. Playing not to lose tears me apart, especially when we had a substantial lead..........but, playing like we had a 1-pt lead!!

BTW, the offense is gonna' be great, I believe. Again, it's the D that worries me. Proud of what the offense did....when they allowed them to play offense!!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back