• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bryan Munson on the Brett Kane Show (7/18/17) Discusses his interview with Blades in detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
FYI....very interesting stuff to say the least. A kid who did not understand the process or it appears had anyone around him to advise him.

Blades:

---He would not come out and say that he was duped or mislead. Bryan asked him in the interview if he felt like he had been tricked and he said 'somewhat'. Bryan though that was the biggest grey are of his whole conversation with him last night.

----People have to remember that he was a commitment to FL and the Huskers were not even on his radar. They would have liked to be in the running for him but just were not until Williams joined the staff. There came a point with other teams he spoke to in that 'could I become qualified at your school?' Nebraska told him was 'yeah we think you can get qualified.' Similar story with Watts. Pretty much a similar story with any kid who is trying to scrape by with a low GPA or questionable test score.

----He thinks what really happened was the Huskers were being supportive and were aware he many not become fully qualified. Thus when he did not become fully qualified and was given the option to be a partial qualifier that out of spite he said 'no I am going to go doing something else and go to JUCO.' Plus there were some other reasons behind that as well.

----JUCO coach at Western Arizona claimed he had not had any contact with Nebraska. Munson took that to mean that the Huskers thought he would either be fully or partially qualified thus he was going to end up in Lincoln regardless. Blades reached out to Arizona Western on his own because somewhere in the process he felt that Nebraska was not the right fit for him.

----Munson said Nebraska did the best they could to get him qualified. He thinks Blades has a real misunderstanding about qualifying be it Nebraska or another school. Bottom line is he was and is not D-1 fully eligible/qualified. He told Munson he could have gotten qualified at another D-1 school (which has we know is incorrect). This there is some resentment and ill will towards Nebraska.

----Bryan feels like there has been a real misunderstand on the part of Blades. Blades (for whatever reason) thought it would be easier at Nebraska. Needless to say that is what upset him the most when he did not fully qualify.

----Bryan said he thinks if Blades thinks the recruiting process is going to open back up for him again he has another thought coming. Going JUCO was not the easier route for him to take (said as much myself last night) that he now has to get an AA Degree.

----Said he loved the fans and Coaches Williams & Riley however, he thought Nebraska would be an easier route to get qualified than at another school (ie FL may have been a better fit but iof he could get qualified at Nebraska then he would go there---in my opinion committed for the wrong reason.). Thus he thinks it would be very difficult for the Huskers to reenter the picture with him two years from now.

http://www.theticketfm.com/category/brett-kane/

Baffling in some cases hearing the reasons behind this.

Bottom line is he just wanted to qualify somewhere....hell anywhere.

Huskers staff did all they could

Bottom line GPA and test scores were all on him

Finally he would not have been a fully qualified player at any D-1 school.

Yeah it is a case of a kid who really I think wanted to go to FL but knew he was not going to qualify and thus thought it would be easier at Nebraska and Munson got the feeling he was willing to go to any P-5 school that he thought he could qualify at. When in reality he was not going to fully qualify anywhere in the end. I think Nebraska was hopeful he could fully qualify and if not then go the Academic RS route. Which honestly would have been the best thing for him to do. JUCO like Bryan said in this case is a mistake for all the obvious reasons. With that being said his picking Nebraska was not done for the right reason so in that sense for the school its better that they parted ways and he want elsewhere. Hope that makes some sense? :)

Greg Smith from HV commented that everything in Blades' life seems to be happening to him, rather than as a result of anything he's done. Pretty much nails it.

Life is so much easier when you blame others for your problems and shortcomings. Then one day you find yourself on a street corner telling all of the other losers what might have been had you not been screwed over, all the while knowing deep down inside you blew it.

Life is so much easier when you blame others for your problems and shortcomings. Then one day you find yourself on a street corner telling all of the other losers what might have been had you not been screwed over, all the while knowing deep down inside you blew it.
I'm not sure the realization that YOU are the one responsible for your actions ever happens for a lot of these people. The rest of that statement is spot on.

Baffling in some cases hearing the reasons behind this.

Bottom line is he just wanted to qualify somewhere....hell anywhere.

Huskers staff did all they could

Bottom line GPA and test scores were all on him

Finally he would not have been a fully qualified player at any D-1 school.
Not even Ole Miss? I'm sure they would have found a way to get him qualified. They may have even bought him a car, gave his mom a job, and slipped him some cash too.

The NCAA says previous assistants Chris Vaughn and David Saunders instructed recruits to take the ACT college entry exam at a specific high school in Wayne County, Miss., in 2010.

Vaughn and Saunders instructed the recruits to leave blank any answer spaces they weren't confident about, the NCAA says. This would allow correct answers to be filled in later, presumably so they'd qualify at Ole Miss.

As a result, the NCAA says three Ole Miss players competed while they weren't eligible in 2011, and one continued to play while ineligible for three more seasons.

It's funny that he rejected us as a partial qualifier out of spite because Willa Cather, possibly the most accomplished UNL graduate of all time, was a partial qualifier. She had to take Latin classes at Lincoln High for a semester because she didn't test out in that requirement. She then of course went on to become one of the most acclaimed authors of the 20th century, and also biggest critics of UNL.

Anyways, I guess my point is, if he wanted to be here he'd be here

Nailed it

Absolutely correct. Don't know much about this kid, but sometime early on in his academic life he failed to employ the necessary function of working hard in the classroom. Now, the consequences come home to roost.

Too many good points being made in this thread about this situation...keep these Blades of truth coming, fellas. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
too bad for the kid, I know it falls on him, but he obviiously needed some better advice years ago, as well as some better modeling of what successful behavior looks like.

I was excited when Blades committed and had very high hopes for him at NU. This is just a shame for all parties involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back