• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When Will The Huskers Return To An Elite Level? The Final Chronicles!

When will the Huskers return to championship form?

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 14 26.9%

Votes: 21 40.4%

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • 2021 or beyond

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

We put everyone on notice this year when we win the B1G West.
I believe we have a decent shot to make it to the Big 10 Championship game this season. In my opinion, that Wisconsin game is absolutely huge in determining that. The Badgers have more returning starters than any other team in the Big 10 West and they have the easiest conference schedule of anyone in the West this year. Iowa probably has the hardest schedule of anyone in the West and Minnesota has a new coach. If Northwestern beats us out for the Big 10 Title game then we need to re-evaluate some things. We can't be losing out to Stack of Books U (I had a teammate from Northwestern and that's what I always told him his school was :)). Good nickname for a college, not necessarily for a football team though. If we do make it to Indy, you never know what can happen in a one game scenario. But we get the Badgers at home this year. It's all about the Nebraska look alike game!

Last edited:

I feel good about the direction of things but I feel we're 2-3 years from making a serious push at returning to elite status. But I look forward to seeing this team grow during the course of the season with a lot of new guys, guys taking on more lead roles, and the adjustment to a new scheme on defense.

Never with MR in charge, he is a .500 career coach.

C
Sarcasm? I do think that Mike can win a championship in Lincoln. After all, that's the reason he took the job. It won't be this year, might not be next year, but should happen soon.

I believe we have a decent shot to make it to the Big 10 Championship game this season. In my opinion, that Wisconsin game is absolutely huge in determining that. The Badgers have more returning starters than any other team in the Big 10 West and they have the easiest conference schedule of anyone in the West this year. Iowa probably has the hardest schedule of anyone in the West and Minnesota has a new coach. If Northwestern beats us out for the Big 10 Title game then we need to re-evaluate some things. We can't be losing out to Stack of Books U (I had a teammate from Northwestern and that's what I always told him his school was :)). Good nickname for a college, not necessarily for a football team though. If we do make it to Indy, you never know what can happen in a one game scenario. But we get the Badgers at home this year. It's all about the Nebraska look alike game!
We will beat Wisky, Iowa, NW and Minnesota.

We will beat Wisky, Iowa, NW and Minnesota.
You certainly hope so.

Unfortunately, we'll probably also lose to OSU and PSU. Anybody predicting a win over Wisky should simply acknowledge that they've been better than the Huskers since we joined the conference. The great irony of that is that the entire UW program has been built on the model Devaney and Osborne constructed. Until we actually do beat the Badgers there is zero reason to believe it's going to happen. Two or three losses in conference keeps us out of the conference championship.

I feel good about the direction of things but I feel we're 2-3 years from making a serious push at returning to elite status. But I look forward to seeing this team grow during the course of the season with a lot of new guys, guys taking on more lead roles, and the adjustment to a new scheme on defense.
Hear, hear!

I am going to go with this year! Honestly though, I would like it to be and think it will be by next season. We will have to wait and see how this year shakes out, but I think we can be back on the scene as early as next year. If we aren't winning a lot by 2019, I will be worried anew.

Wisconsin's schedule this season is cake. Unless they have severe attrition it's tough to see many losses on their schedule. Their Big Ten slate:

Northwestern
at Nebraska
Purdue
Maryland
at Illinois
at Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
at Minnesota

One issue is the bye week is before Northwestern so they have nine consecutive conference games without a bye week.

NU wins division this year and loses a close one in the B1G Championship.

Next year, NU throws that tough schedule to the curb and makes the playoff....finishing what was started this year. Unfinished Business II.

You certainly hope so.

Unfortunately, we'll probably also lose to OSU and PSU. Anybody predicting a win over Wisky should simply acknowledge that they've been better than the Huskers since we joined the conference. The great irony of that is that the entire UW program has been built on the model Devaney and Osborne constructed. Until we actually do beat the Badgers there is zero reason to believe it's going to happen. Two or three losses in conference keeps us out of the conference championship.
Actually, it was built on the model that Devaney constructed.

GET TICKETS

Back