• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ameer Abdullah

I still liked what I saw out of Mikale Wilbon.
Been saying this for 2 years. I'd sure like to see him on the field, like in a repetitive role. Get into a groove. Get a feel for what's happening out there. Maybe, he just can't be block, I wouldn't know, he's usually only on the field for like 3 snaps a game. Sure do like his running ability though.

Been saying this for 2 years. I'd sure like to see him on the field, like in a repetitive role. Get into a groove. Get a feel for what's happening out there. Maybe, he just can't be block, I wouldn't know, he's usually only on the field for like 3 snaps a game. Sure do like his running ability though.
From what I've watched his pass protection has considerably improved. I think the coaches really like Tre Bryant. It's hard not to like that speed he possesses.

I loved what he had to say about Baby Ferentz. He seemed very optimistic about the offense and QB position going into next season. I have yet to hear an offensive guy say they prefer going against the 3-4 defense. Almost all of them say the 3-4 is harder to play against. I'm looking forward to watching Ameer next season now that he's healthy and he'll be the feature back in Detroit!
Yup, ask anyone playing the Seahawks about a 3 / 4, with Bennett taking a position he wants, the offense is off guard all the time. We just need to find a Bennett. :Corn2: Ameer is the real deal.

Ahman Green was faster than Phillips, but there was a reason Phillips was the man. We like to decide playing time on one intangible. Unfortunately football is about many different intangibles. Ultimately one guy will get a great discrepancy in the number of touches compared to his teammates. I don't think Tre Bryant is that guy now. But he has potential to be really good. Under Langsdorf we just don't have 'that guy' defined. He's always playing by committee. Unfortunately he's using a professional level organization of an offense to dictate his college level organization. In college you usually have a super star define your team. The backups get reps, but when the game is on the line everyone knows whom to depend upon.

Last edited:

Ahman Green was faster than Phillips, but there was a reason Phillips was the man. We like to decide playing time on one intangible. Unfortunately football is about many different intangibles. Ultimately one guy will get a great discrepancy in the number of touches compared to his teammates. I don't think Tre Bryant is that guy now. But he has potential to be really good. Under Langsdorf we just don't have 'that guy' defined. He's always playing by committee. Unfortunately he's using a professional level organization of an offense to dictate his college level organization. In college you usually have a super star define your team. The backups get reps, but when the game is on the line everyone knows whom to depend upon.
LOL...LP was "the man" because he was a Junior while AG was a true freshman. Despite this AG averaged the same YPC as LP did that year and considerably more than LP did as a freshman. I'm not arguing that AG was better, but for crying out loud you just can't compare the 1995 leading Heisman contender to a true freshman and be taken seriously.

And one cannot argue that a guy like Tre Bryant is a championship level runningback if he's not even the best all-around runningback on the team.

Out of curiosity, where would you guys rank Ameer on a the list of all time great Husker running backs?
1. Rozier
2. LP
3. Ahman
4. Roger Craig
5. Calvin Jones
6. IM Hipp
7. Helu
8. Burkhead
9. Abdullah
10. Kinney

The reason i have him so low is that all the others had real competition splitting time with them. Rozier overlapped with Craig who overlapped with Redwine who overlapped with Hipp.

Helu and Burkhead had a lot of overlap. Then Rex overlapped with AA however. AA Junior and Senior year there was no one really splitting time with him. So he ended up with crazy numbers.

Thom's top four is clear. Ameer's definitely in the conversation for the fifth spot. I think Ameer ran behind offensive lines that were not nearly as good as our lines from the eighties and nineties. He made got more yards out of razor-thin holes than any RB I've ever seen.

1. Rozier
2. LP
3. Ahman
4. Roger Craig
5. Calvin Jones
6. IM Hipp
7. Helu
8. Burkhead
9. Abdullah
10. Kinney

The reason i have him so low is that all the others had real competition splitting time with them. Rozier overlapped with Craig who overlapped with Redwine who overlapped with Hipp.

Helu and Burkhead had a lot of overlap. Then Rex overlapped with AA however. AA Junior and Senior year there was no one really splitting time with him. So he ended up with crazy numbers.
Nah, IMO, it's a lot more like this:

1. LP
2. Ahman
3. Rozier
4. DuBose
5. Abdullah
6. Ken Clark
7. Redwine
8. R Craig
9. Kinney
10. C Jones
11. Rick Berns
12. Bobby Reynolds
13. Burkhead
14. IM Hipp
15. TIE
----K Jones
----D Brown
----H Wilson
----F Solich
----T Davis
----B Jackson
----R Helu
----C Ross
----J Smith

Last edited:
Scott Baldwin was our wrecking ball before the incident in Omaha. I'd of ranked him in the top 10 as an underclassman.

And guys like Clinton Childs were under-rated. He was an all-around talent, just a step off in the top gear. But inside the 10 he was great.

Ken Clark so high and Roy Helu Jr so low? No mention of Cornell Buckhalter? Kind of dates you. And where is Marlon Lucky on the list? I guess once you get past the top 3 it's all debatable.

Last edited:

Scott Baldwin was our wrecking ball before the incident in Omaha. I'd of ranked him in the top 10 as an underclassman.

And guys like Clinton Childs were under-rated. He was an all-around talent, just a step off in the top gear. But inside the 10 he was great.

Ken Clark so high and Ron Help so low? No mention of Cornell Buckhalter? Kind of dates you. And where is Marlon Lucky on the list? I guess once you get past the top 3 it's all debatable.
Scott Baldwin...LOL, not for this list. Clinton Childs...lol. Next you'll say Damon Benning, Leodis Flowers and Jay Sims. Not sure who Ron Help is (Roy Helu is where he belongs, as is Ken Clark), but but Lucky and Buckhalter were a nudge or two below the guys listed. Hell, if I forgot anyone it was Cory Ross & Jeff Smith, who I'm adding.

Last edited:
Scott Baldwin...LOL, not for this list. Clinton Childs...lol. Next you'll say Damon Benning, Leodis Flowers and Jay Sims. Not sure who Ron Help is (Roy Helu is where he belongs, as is Ken Clark), but but Lucky and Buckhalter were a nudge or two below the guys listed. Hell, if I forgot anyone it was Cory Ross & Jeff Smith, who I'm adding.
Highlighted was pretty much my response. I am old enough to remember Scott Baldwin but he was unimpressive enough that I had forgotten him until Rat mentioned him. Our lists are at least in the same neighborhood.

You might have been asleep some of those years. To think Buckhalter was a couple rungs down is simply comical. If Baldwin had played his last two years without the psychological issues we'd probably have rated him up there with LP. And to mock Clinton's abilities to score in the redzone is ignorant behavior. Clinton ran through the line and could break the chalk with the best. To lump guys like Correll or Clinton with Damon Benning was probably some undertone of insult. I'm not going to belittle any of them like that. They were all part of the Husker legacy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back