• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Chris Bleich Commits To UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone will disagree with you that once we win a national title like Ohio State we can start recruiting everywhere and kids will travel. The problem that everyone neglects is that in the 500 mile radius for the Buckeyes, the amount of 4 and 5 stars isn't anywhere close to comparable for what we have. So while Meyer was trying to build that program while kids "weren't willing to travel", he had so much talent around him it didn't really matter, and didn't have to sell being away from home to kids while he built a winner. He had plenty of kids to do it with from his very own backyard. While I get what you are saying with "Ohio State's commit list is from all over the country", it actually wasn't always that way for Meyer. Take a look at what it was before their 2014 national title, here's amount of recruits from inside the 500 mile radius (I saw a distinct difference from 2012-2016 and then 2017 forward that's why the split is. Only reason I can think of is kids commit so early anymore that maybe the 2014 national title didn't really have a great help until the 2017 class?):

2012 - 23/25 92%
2013 - 14/24 58%
2014 - 19/23 83%
2015 - 18/27 67%
2016 - 21/25 84%
Average of 76.8% within the 500 mile radius that were coming to Columbus. Then all of a sudden they win the 2014 national championship and have been to the playoffs a couple times and your argument is starting to hold true:
2017 - 9/21 43%
2018 - 2/7 29%

They finally had less than 50% of their team from outside the 500 mile radius. Before that however, they weren't asking people to go that far to fill out their class. But we can even go one step further and talk about what Urban was getting from his own state during that time period to build a national title team. Here's who signed from Ohio to the Buckeyes:

2012 - 15/25 60%
2013 - 10/24 42%
2014 - 9/23 39%
2015 - 12/27 44%
2016 - 9/25 36%
His first five years he was getting 44.2% of his class from in his own state. People weren't traveling. He had the talent in his backyard. The scary thing is, now he's got the national title like you talk about, so he's able to not go after the "lower rated 4 star in Ohio" and he can go after the five star from IMG instead:
2017 - 6/21 29%
2018 - 1/7 14%

So I agree that they will come from all over if we win a national title, the problem is that our immediate radius and our own state does not have the talent anywhere close to what Ohio State does to help us build without asking kids to travel to get those "big wins". There probably isn't a huge difference between Columbus and Lincoln until you start talking mileage to get there. It always comes back to that.
It won't take a national title to lure recruits here. It'll take the ability to start winning games you're supposed to win, and preforming admirably in the bigger games, maybe winning a few, something NU hasn't done in a long time. For a while now, when NU gets on the biggest of stages, it gets its ass kicked. That's gotta stop. Knock on the damn door until you can break that ------ ------ down.

It won't take a national title to lure recruits here. It'll take the ability to start winning games you're supposed to win, and preforming admirably in the bigger games, maybe winning a few, something NU hasn't done in a long time. For a while now, when NU gets on the biggest of stages, it gets its ass kicked. That's gotta stop. Knock on the damn door until you can break that ------ ------ down.
I'm with ya there... quite honestly, if we just win the games we are supposed to, we are at 10 wins most every year and playing for conference titles at least every other year. There's our exposure.

I'm with ya there... quite honestly, if we just win the games we are supposed to, we are at 10 wins most every year and playing for conference titles at least every other year. There's our exposure.
Yep. Been 15 years since it's won most all the games it's supposed to. The current crop of recruits was just starting to walk the last time NU did anything on the big stage. Gotta fix that. How is the pressing question. I'm sure coach Riley will figure it out. After all, he's got a pro system. Nothing better than that.

Last edited:
Yep. Been 15 years since it's won most all the games it's supposed to. The current crop of recruits was just starting to walk the last time NU did anything on the big stage. Gotta fix that. How is the pressing question. I'm sure coach Riley will figure it out. After all, he's got a pro system. Nothing better than that.
Technically we did win all of the games in which we were favored last year but I get your point

I think it's fair to say - our B1G West (Iowa and Wisconsin) opponents have recruited better for their scheme and have ignored the analyst's rankings.

Entire point i've been making the last 24 hours. Didn't even get out of our own division despite recruiting better than our opponents.
Haven't gotten out of the division but one time. Had and have better talent by a decent margin than any other team in the west. Time for that to change. NU should win that division at least 3 out of every 5 years, minimum.

Nowadays you need a quarterback that at least can know when to pass the ball and can throw it accurately. While the rest of the recruiting is very important, it pales beside the need for a serviceable QB and generally speaking, if you want to win big, you need a good QB. So I take those arguments that we out recruited everyone the last few years and put it along side of our last 8 years of quarterbacking and I understand whey we didn't win conference titles or even division ones.

Nowadays you need a quarterback that at least can know when to pass the ball and can throw it accurately. While the rest of the recruiting is very important, it pales beside the need for a serviceable QB and generally speaking, if you want to win big, you need a good QB. So I take those arguments that we out recruited everyone the last few years and put it along side of our last 8 years of quarterbacking and I understand whey we didn't win conference titles or even division ones.
THIS!

Yes it does seem NU sucks.

Many Iowa fans (Colorado fans in the day) think NU sucks. Do we have a mole in our mist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back