• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tanner Lee Named Starting Quarterback

I am excited at the thought of O'Brien now having to supplant Lee and being pushed by Bunch and Gebbia behind him. Should both be positives in accelerating his potential if he responds the right way and I think he will.

Things would have to go drastically south for Gebbia to see the field this year . . . they really want to RS him at all costs like POB last year. If Lee and POB were to somehow go down, then Bunch would almost certainly be the next one up. Only way you play Gebbia is if all 3 of the others are out. And if that happens, then we've probably hit a really bad stretch and you might not even play Gebbia anyway and come up with an emergency option . . . especially if it's late in the year and we're out of contention for anything meaningful.

Things would have to go drastically south for Gebbia to see the field this year . . . they really want to RS him at all costs like POB last year. If Lee and POB were to somehow go down, then Bunch would almost certainly be the next one up. Only way you play Gebbia is if all 3 of the others are out. And if that happens, then we've probably hit a really bad stretch and you might not even play Gebbia anyway and come up with an emergency option . . . especially if it's late in the year and we're out of contention for anything meaningful.

Agreed. I think Darlington sees the field before they burn Gebbia's redshirt. Knock on wood, but I don't recall NU ever having to dig 4 deep on the depth chart at QB.

I'm excited to see Lee play. He just might be the best passer Nebraska has ever had. One stupid question, Lee does have two years of eligibility correct? Meaning he'll be a junior in fall 2017?

Have they named all the starters or just QB? Will a 2-deep be forthcoming soon?
See my post about timing between QB and WRs. QB is really the only position that it is important to identify early to get that timing down. Also their role as a leader needs to be established as well.

Good call by the coaching staff. Lee had the edge over O'Brien all spring and the spring game only clarified that further.

Gebbia looks like he's going to be a stud for NU, but no sense in playing an undersized kid now when you have 2 capable QB's already on board. Save him for 2019.
Start Gebbia this year and O'Brien would have surely walked.

The whole decision makes perfect sense. If Lee struggles, O'Brien gets the call.

I'm excited to see Lee play. He just might be the best passer Nebraska has ever had. One stupid question, Lee does have two years of eligibility correct? Meaning he'll be a junior in fall 2017?

Correct. He has 2 more years at NU.

Last edited:
It kind of shocks me to read so much discussion/angst at the fantastic quarterback situation that MR has created. We have an abundance of riches at the QB spot and no matter how it ultimately shakes out, we are in a great position moving forward. We also have passing game experts at the controls now who will keep the talented QBs/WRs coming...we are in great shape, let's enjoy it!

Last edited:
I think all you really have to do is look at the one 31 yard TD pass he threw to the corner of the end zone to understand why he is starting. That is an NFL throw. He has a stronger more accurate arm than POB. I really don't think that is up for debate.

I am not baging on POB either. If TL wasn't at Nebraska I would still feel pretty good about the QB situation with him and TG. POB is a very nice looking QB and I think has made ton of improvement since last spring. I think Lee is just better.

If Lee has a monster year, say 3500 with a 30 TD and 6 Int at about at 68% completion rate. He would be stupid not to at least look into the draft. If he has a monster year like that that means NU is winning a lot of games. I like that. :Rockon:

Would Riley use a 2QB rotation?

Interesting question....seems like the two guys are pretty much carbon copies except POB looks a little more mobile. What would be really nice is the Huskers wipe the floor with everyone in the first half and POB gets the 4th quarter.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back