• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dirks "For And Against" Article

Interestingly I don't feel the same way about beer at NU football games. mostly because of logistics though. first of all its so easy to smuggle your own liquor in there. secondly that stadium is so hard to get in and out of your row and aaaallll the way to the concession areas I'd never go down there during the game anyway. and to have roaming beer guys...they'd need a lot of them and they'd be pretty annoying. Memorial Stadium just isn't fan friendly in a lot of way...increasing traffic to the restrooms and concession areas would suck. modern stadiums are set up better and a stadium that's half empty would be less of a hassle too.

It would definitely cut down some on those that feel the need to get bombed innthe last half hour right before the game if they knew they could get a beer or two AT the game.

Just logistically is so much easier at a basketball/hockey game.
Good points about the stadium not being friendly for concessions and elimination/evacuation. I know that the away games I went to where beer was served were super annoying because certain fans were so drunk by halftime that they pretty much had to be dragged out by their friends. Think of CU getting an entire section kicked out of a game... how does that even happen?

Miles: 73-81 and 31-53 (4.5 years)
Sadler: 101-89 and 34-64 (6 years)
Collier: 89-91 and 36-60 (6 years)

I'm fine giving Miles the same amount of time as Sadler and Collier, not like we have momentum we need to keep.

More than coaching, recruiting counts immensely in CBB. Look at the kids he's bringing in.
I am.

Why are people acting like these last couple classes are something amazing? some solid recruits but let's not make them something they aren't.

Last edited:
Good points about the stadium not being friendly for concessions and elimination/evacuation. I know that the away games I went to where beer was served were super annoying because certain fans were so drunk by halftime that they pretty much had to be dragged out by their friends. Think of CU getting an entire section kicked out of a game... how does that even happen?
Smashed by halftime is only possible if you're already drunk when you get there. What's the max # of beers a person can acquire and consume in a packed stadium in 1/2 of football? 3 or 4 of they try really hard and totally blow off the game?

cu students were also likely partying all day and likely smuggling hard stuff into the game....just like 1000s of nu students do. I'm guessing the cu thing had as much to do with them traditionally being trash PLUS the booze.

I am.

Why are people acting like these last couple classes are something amazing? some solid recruits but let's not make them something they aren't.

If you look at the numbers, Nebraska's last two classes when compared to the rest of the league, rank right smack dab in the middle. Like you said, some solid young talent, but not the type of talent that will compete for a league title. To me, recruiting in the middle means you can usually finish anywhere in the middle third of the conference depending on several variables. With good coaching and talent development, it's a group that may be able to get to the NCAA tournament. They may not, either.

When people like myself say they like our roster next year, we are not only looking at the last two recruiting classes, we are also taking into account our transfers that will become eligible to play; Palmer and Copeland. Myself and like-minded people are wondering if those two, along side our current roster, are enough to push us over the top. Propel us into the top third of the league.

Transfers can be hit-and-miss. Copeland is somewhat of a proven commodity as he was a 13 and 5 guy in the Big East and made their all-freshman team. Palmer, I'm told, is doing quite well in practice. We will see how they transition, I don't count on anything until they produce in the court. However, I think there are some reasons to be optimistic about these two.

If those two come in, do well, and are starters or high rotation players, it definitely changes the entire dynamic of the team. Knocking out two unproductive players in our rotation and replacing them with quality players can make a huge difference. That remains to be seen though. I see a lot of coaches winning games with less talent than that.

It's Nebraska basketball. I've come to realize that you should never count on anything. If Eichorst does give Miles another year, I would be cautiously optimistic about next year.

When people like myself say they like our roster next year, we are not only looking at the last two recruiting classes, we are also taking into account our transfers that will become eligible to play; Palmer and Copeland. Myself and like-minded people are wondering if those two, along side our current roster, are enough to push us over the top. Propel us into the top third of the league.

Transfers can be hit-and-miss. Copeland is somewhat of a proven commodity as he was a 13 and 5 guy in the Big East and made their all-freshman team. Palmer, I'm told, is doing quite well in practice. We will see how they transition, I don't count on anything until they produce in the court. However, I think there are some reasons to be optimistic about these two.

If those two come in, do well, and are starters or high rotation players, it definitely changes the entire dynamic of the team. Knocking out two unproductive players in our rotation and replacing them with quality players can make a huge difference. That remains to be seen though. I see a lot of coaches winning games with less talent than that.

It's Nebraska basketball. I've come to realize that you should never count on anything. If Eichorst does give Miles another year, I would be cautiously optimistic about next year.

In order to think about next years team, you must remember the rules of a Tim Miles coached team:

-- There can be no transfers out of key players, for that is an excuse for losing
-- There can be no injuries, for that is an excuse for losing
-- There can be no reliance on young talent, for that is an excuse for losing.

As long as those things do not happen, there is reason to be cautiously optimistic

If you look at the numbers, Nebraska's last two classes when compared to the rest of the league, rank right smack dab in the middle. Like you said, some solid young talent, but not the type of talent that will compete for a league title. To me, recruiting in the middle means you can usually finish anywhere in the middle third of the conference depending on several variables. With good coaching and talent development, it's a group that may be able to get to the NCAA tournament. They may not, either.

Transfers are definitely hit and miss.

Palmer has to be much better than he was at Miami. He wasn't very good there...hopefully the new scenery helps.

Copeland...not sure where you got those numbers. In conference he scored 8 year 1 and 10 year 2. Anyway, I could see him being a solid role player...8-10 and 5-7 boards. Nothing wrong with that. I'd keep him away from the 3 point line. He likes to shoot from outside but he's not good at it.

Middle of the pack recruiting for a team that's basically at or near the bottom of the conference isn't all that inspiring to me...but as far as recruiting goes I guess that's about as good as NU should expect right now. What NU really needs is for one of the young guys to greatly exceed his expectations. Really NU has always needed that. It's almost uncanny that it hasn't happened much in the last 15 years. They also will need the coaching to be top 1/2 of the league quality in order to break through. I just don't see that from Miles. Have yet to see it in 5 years.

To your last sentence baring some sort of 1-6 finish I don't think the plug gets pulled. But next year is pretty huge for Miles. NIT at a minimum. That's not a high bar but failing to get to the NIT pretty much cements the idea that Miles just isn't good enough.

Transfers are definitely hit and miss.

Palmer has to be much better than he was at Miami. He wasn't very good there...hopefully the new scenery helps.

Copeland...not sure where you got those numbers. In conference he scored 8 year 1 and 10 year 2. Anyway, I could see him being a solid role player...8-10 and 5-7 boards. Nothing wrong with that. I'd keep him away from the 3 point line. He likes to shoot from outside but he's not good at it.

Middle of the pack recruiting for a team that's basically at or near the bottom of the conference isn't all that inspiring to me...but as far as recruiting goes I guess that's about as good as NU should expect right now. What NU really needs is for one of the young guys to greatly exceed his expectations. Really NU has always needed that. It's almost uncanny that it hasn't happened much in the last 15 years. They also will need the coaching to be top 1/2 of the league quality in order to break through. I just don't see that from Miles. Have yet to see it in 5 years.

To your last sentence baring some sort of 1-6 finish I don't think the plug gets pulled. But next year is pretty huge for Miles. NIT at a minimum. That's not a high bar but failing to get to the NIT pretty much cements the idea that Miles just isn't good enough.

Yeah, i read it last night and fudged the numbers from memory. It looked like he averaged 11.1 and 5.4 his second year according to an OWH article. You really can't base production or carry over high school recruiting rankings on a transfer, too many factors. We'll see.

Middle-of-the-pack recruiting isn't great, but it's significantly better than we've been at for quite a while. At Nebraska, that's more than acceptable. You have to be able to coach and develop the talent. I see some okay talent development, what I don't see is consistent, quality coaching, and that's a problem.

In order to think about next years team, you must remember the rules of a Tim Miles coached team:

-- There can be no transfers out of key players, for that is an excuse for losing

As long as those things do not happen, there is reason to be cautiously optimistic

There will be a transfer for sure. At least a grad transfer and someone else. That's college basketball, there were over 700 last year. It just better not be one of your best players.

You keep talking about excuses and I'm not sure why. IF Miles is brought back for an additional year, there is literally nothing short of the entire team dying in a freak gasoline fight accident that would excuse another poor season. It's practically NCAA tournament or bust. I'm also on record as saying that if we can make a quality hire, I'd support a change now. If it's a status quo Collier/Doc/Miles type of hire, I'll take my chances with Miles another year. I think our positions are nearly identical.

I will say this about the injuries, losing Morrow for what 7-8 games hurt this team. They only win 1 in the stretch when he was gone. Then he comes back and they lose to a top 10 team in OT by 1. I don't think I am speculating to say that NU probably wins at least 3-4 games in that stretch if he is playing. His loss hurt, losing Gill IMO wasn't a big deal, because he wasn't doing all that much anyway.

I say they keep Miles 1 more year, I wouldn't make a move unless they have a line on a real good coach. I don't want to see them go after the mid major flavor of the month.

I personally like the talent he has on the team. I agree with Shatel when he says this is the best talent since late Danny Nee era. I think the big guy Jordy takes a big step forwards next year. He is already light years better than he was at the beginning of the season. I like the other freshman also they all look like they are ready to be better. The Aussie is starting to find his stroke.

I do think if they look the same next year they need to let him go though.

I'd like to see Gill come back next year and prove me wrong in thinking that he'll never amount to much as a basketball player in the NCAA. :)

I am.

What they are is a big improvement over the classes that preceded them for more than a decade.

I will say this about the injuries, losing Morrow for what 7-8 games hurt this team. They only win 1 in the stretch when he was gone. Then he comes back and they lose to a top 10 team in OT by 1. I don't think I am speculating to say that NU probably wins at least 3-4 games in that stretch if he is playing. His loss hurt, losing Gill IMO wasn't a big deal, because he wasn't doing all that much anyway.

I say they keep Miles 1 more year, I wouldn't make a move unless they have a line on a real good coach. I don't want to see them go after the mid major flavor of the month.

I personally like the talent he has on the team. I agree with Shatel when he says this is the best talent since late Danny Nee era. I think the big guy Jordy takes a big step forwards next year. He is already light years better than he was at the beginning of the season. I like the other freshman also they all look like they are ready to be better. The Aussie is starting to find his stroke.

I do think if they look the same next year they need to let him go though.
Yeah, the problem of a young, extremely shallow talent pool, albeit more talented, is that injuries become far more pronounced. That's why, unless you're Kansas or North Carolina, it takes a couple of years to develop a quality of continuity.

Yeah, i read it last night and fudged the numbers from memory. It looked like he averaged 11.1 and 5.4 his second year according to an OWH article. You really can't base production or carry over high school recruiting rankings on a transfer, too many factors. We'll see.

Middle-of-the-pack recruiting isn't great, but it's significantly better than we've been at for quite a while. At Nebraska, that's more than acceptable. You have to be able to coach and develop the talent. I see some okay talent development, what I don't see is consistent, quality coaching, and that's a problem.
It always amuses me on the basketball threads. Ya'll honestly do seem to think its only the next hot young coach who can turn the program around. Dudes, its Nebrasketball; we have a legacy of mediocrity.

It always amuses me on the basketball threads. Ya'll honestly do seem to think its only the next hot young coach who can turn the program around. Dudes, its Nebrasketball; we have a legacy of mediocrity.
In 6 years (or 5 really) you can get a pretty firm grasp on what you have in a coach. I think most people understand Miles is a pretty middle of the road coach...if this supposed influx of talent vaults them into the post season next year great. if not you try again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back