• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dirks "For And Against" Article

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Good points by Dirk. I want everyone who pulls out the "young" card for Miles to read point #5 against Miles coming back, which details how young the Big 10 is

http://www.omaha.com/sports/blogs/m...opular/&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

5. Nebraska isn’t the only young team in the Big Ten. This is a point often overlooked by Miles’ supporters.

▸ Iowa’s 11-man rotation includes five freshmen, four sophomores and a junior. Peter Jok is the only senior.

▸ Minnesota’s top nine players consist of three freshmen, two sophomores and three juniors. Richard Pitino loses one senior, role player Akeem Springs.

▸ Penn State’s top eight is senior-free. Three freshmen, a sophomore and four juniors.

▸ Indiana’s top 10 looks like this: three freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors. No seniors.

▸ Maryland’s top four guys consist of three freshmen and a junior.

▸ Of Tom Izzo’s top nine, seven are scheduled to return, including four freshmen and two sophomores.

▸ Eight of Ohio State’s top nine players should be back — only Marc Loving graduates.

▸ Northwestern’s top seven has one senior, role player Sanjay Lumpkin. The other starters are two juniors and two sophomores.

▸ How ‘bout Purdue? Its eight-man rotation has just one senior. Maybe sophomore Caleb Swanigan leaves for the NBA, but the Boilers should be fine next year with three or four senior starters.

See the pattern here? Everybody’s young! Almost everybody anyway — Wisconsin is a notable exception.

The Big Ten will be better in 2017-18. Perhaps much better. So Nebraska must be better just to maintain its position — and that’s without Tai Webster. Georgetown transfer Isaac Copeland should be an impact player. Anton Gill and James Palmer bolster Nebraska’s depth.

But if you’re betting on an NCAA tournament team, you’re effectively saying that Watson, Morrow, Roby, etc., won’t just progress, they’ll progress at a faster rate than the young rotations at Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, Penn State, etc.

Good points by Dirk. I want everyone who pulls out the "young" card for Miles to read point #5 against Miles coming back, which details how young the Big 10 is

http://www.omaha.com/sports/blogs/mad-chatter-the-case-for-and-against-tim-miles-a/article_b013466a-efb3-11e6-8b76-c335a80e03e1.html#utm_source=omaha.com&utm_campaign=/newsletter/breakingheadlines/popular/&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

5. Nebraska isn’t the only young team in the Big Ten. This is a point often overlooked by Miles’ supporters.

▸ Iowa’s 11-man rotation includes five freshmen, four sophomores and a junior. Peter Jok is the only senior.

▸ Minnesota’s top nine players consist of three freshmen, two sophomores and three juniors. Richard Pitino loses one senior, role player Akeem Springs.

▸ Penn State’s top eight is senior-free. Three freshmen, a sophomore and four juniors.

▸ Indiana’s top 10 looks like this: three freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors. No seniors.

▸ Maryland’s top four guys consist of three freshmen and a junior.

▸ Of Tom Izzo’s top nine, seven are scheduled to return, including four freshmen and two sophomores.

▸ Eight of Ohio State’s top nine players should be back — only Marc Loving graduates.

▸ Northwestern’s top seven has one senior, role player Sanjay Lumpkin. The other starters are two juniors and two sophomores.

▸ How ‘bout Purdue? Its eight-man rotation has just one senior. Maybe sophomore Caleb Swanigan leaves for the NBA, but the Boilers should be fine next year with three or four senior starters.

See the pattern here? Everybody’s young! Almost everybody anyway — Wisconsin is a notable exception.

The Big Ten will be better in 2017-18. Perhaps much better. So Nebraska must be better just to maintain its position — and that’s without Tai Webster. Georgetown transfer Isaac Copeland should be an impact player. Anton Gill and James Palmer bolster Nebraska’s depth.

But if you’re betting on an NCAA tournament team, you’re effectively saying that Watson, Morrow, Roby, etc., won’t just progress, they’ll progress at a faster rate than the young rotations at Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, Penn State, etc.
Man it's not like players aren't getting better. Morrow and Jacobson are way better this year than last, and Glynn has improved as well. Heck Roby is a completely different player last night than he was a week ago. Give your vendetta against miles a break, things are looking up in a big way for this program whether you see it or not

Last edited:
Man it's not like players aren't getting better. Morrow and Jacobson are way better this year than last, and Glynn has improved as well. Heck Roby is a completely different player last night than he was a week ago. Give your vendetta against miles a break, things are looking up in a big way for this program whether you see it or not

Not to speak for FC...although I'm sure you think I have a "vendetta" too...but the evidence is simply not there to back up the bold. It's entirely hope v. reality. That's not to say that that NU won't go 22-8 next year and cruise into the Dance. But few outside of Nebraska will likely be predicting that (i.e. unbiased).

You mention that individual NU players are improving. Certainly true. But for that to translate to an improved record it assumes everyone else is standing pat. I'm sure Iowa's young guys are improving too...as are NW's...etc. Looking at recruiting...Illinois, MSU, Wisco and Michigan are all in the top 35 currently so they appear to be bringing in players that will help them going forward. The loss of Webster is huge and based on his first 2 and a half years I'm surprised I'm saying that.

The point made in point 5 is legit.

In Dirk's 5 points in favor of Miles I'd say only #2 (Morrow's injury) holds much water. #1 (young players) has been addressed.

#3 (Schedule)...eh...as dirk said, if it was an "average" schedule they are probably 12-12 instead of 10-14 and the big 10 record would be the same. Still not good.

#4 (inherited a weak roster) is the weakest argument of all. Miles has 2 winning records and 3 losing records at NU. It was with that "weak roster" that he inherited that he had winning records (and went to a tourney). It's with teams that are more stocked with his own recruits that he has racked up 3 consecutive losing records. With exception of collier's first 3 years at NU that is an unprecedented level of futility in a program where futility is the only real constant. That's downright bad.

Facts aren't vendettas.

I thought it was a fair article. Probably how a big portion of husker nation feels. Thats why almost everybody is for giving Miles at least another year. Not sure how if we end up having 3 straight losing seasons a person wouldn't feel a little bit concerned about the program. If things are looking up in a big way then next year should be NCAA's for sure.

I guess the bottom line is some don't see any real improvement next season...right?

I guess the bottom line is some don't see any real improvement next season...right?

It's certainly entirely possible but it's not something I would bet on. And I think it's entirely fair to expect significant improvement coupled with consequences for failing. Of course, nobody, including Dirk, is exactly breaking new ground with these ideas/opinions.

Lol, yeah, as if I NEED a vendetta against Miles to make a case against him.
Cheese, I'm thinking vendetta because you have continually made threads against Miles, where you focus on the "against" not the "for" part of Dirk's article. I acknowledge Mile's deficiencies, especially on offense (he should run more set plays), but in some weird way I see losing by one in OT to Wisconsin with 22 TOs as a win and get excited when I look at our lineups for next year.

And many of those teams with no or few seniors Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland we already beat this year.

Not to speak for FC...although I'm sure you think I have a "vendetta" too...but the evidence is simply not there to back up the bold. It's entirely hope v. reality. That's not to say that that NU won't go 22-8 next year and cruise into the Dance. But few outside of Nebraska will likely be predicting that (i.e. unbiased).

You mention that individual NU players are improving. Certainly true. But for that to translate to an improved record it assumes everyone else is standing pat. I'm sure Iowa's young guys are improving too...as are NW's...etc. Looking at recruiting...Illinois, MSU, Wisco and Michigan are all in the top 35 currently so they appear to be bringing in players that will help them going forward. The loss of Webster is huge and based on his first 2 and a half years I'm surprised I'm saying that.

The point made in point 5 is legit.

In Dirk's 5 points in favor of Miles I'd say only #2 (Morrow's injury) holds much water. #1 (young players) has been addressed.

#3 (Schedule)...eh...as dirk said, if it was an "average" schedule they are probably 12-12 instead of 10-14 and the big 10 record would be the same. Still not good.

#4 (inherited a weak roster) is the weakest argument of all. Miles has 2 winning records and 3 losing records at NU. It was with that "weak roster" that he inherited that he had winning records (and went to a tourney). It's with teams that are more stocked with his own recruits that he has racked up 3 consecutive losing records. With exception of collier's first 3 years at NU that is an unprecedented level of futility in a program where futility is the only real constant. That's downright bad.

Facts aren't vendettas.

Does this team feel depleted like it has in years past? WE HAVE BIG MEN! YOUNG BIG MEN! Sorry to get excited but in years past one was a luxury, and now we have a few. Miles has had success recruiting (or do you not like jordy, roby, Horne, Jacobson), these guys compete and do well in the big ten. I'm disappointed we haven't closed some games, but I didn't really expect we would make the tournament this year, especially after Andrew White dipped out. I guess we had different expectations for the team

Last edited:
Does this team feel depleted like it has in years past? WE HAVE BIG MEN! YOUNG BIG MEN! Sorry to get excited but in years past one was a luxury, and now we have a few. Miles has had success recruiting (or do you not like jordy, roby, Horne, Jacobson), these guys compete and do well in the big ten. I'm disappointed we haven't closed some games, but I didn't really expect we would make the tournament this year, especially after Andrew White dipped out. I guess we had different expectations for the team
There are some good players. Has he recruited well enough to win at a higher than 35% clip in the big 10? Not yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back