• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Gut Reaction to Mark Banker Being Fired

Do you agree with Mark Banker being fired?

• Yes

Votes: 83 96.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

Since Hank Hughes had not worked with Riley prior to 2015, he has really only fired two of his friends. That said, Mark Banker did recommend Hughes.

I understand that this could be concerning, but sometimes what looks like it might work just doesn't. Riley had expectations of what he wanted and what he thought would work and it apparently wasn't working. He could have held on to both and said let's see if this works for another season. That could have been worse. His sense of urgency can be good if these new hires are as good as the Parrella hire appears to be.

Banker could definitely be tied into recruiting as he was not the lead recruiter on any of the 2016 class or any of the current 2017 commits.

If he gets the right guys for these positions, he can retire happy. If not, he might be retiring much earlier.

My thought on the concern of firing 3 coaches in 2 years is this: when Riley was hired, he had to throw together a staff really fast so they could salvage the recruiting class that year. He hired people he knew and was comfortable with/had worked with for a long time. I don't find it all that surprising that some of his long time guys didn't work out. Maybe they weren't really 100% up for starting a new challenge, who knows. I'm just glad to see Riley sees the problem and has the ability to fire his friends. Here's hoping he's got someone great lined up.

My thought on the concern of firing 3 coaches in 2 years is this: when Riley was hired, he had to throw together a staff really fast so they could salvage the recruiting class that year. He hired people he knew and was comfortable with/had worked with for a long time. I don't find it all that surprising that some of his long time guys didn't work out. Maybe they weren't really 100% up for starting a new challenge, who knows. I'm just glad to see Riley sees the problem and has the ability to fire his friends. Here's hoping he's got someone great lined up.
Why do you say he had to throw a staff together really fast? He was hired very, very early.

Why do you say he had to throw a staff together really fast? He was hired very, very early.
Maybe my memory sucks (probably does), I was just thinking he was hired early December which would've given him less than 2 months till signing day. Not a ton of time to interview potential staff, IMO.

Maybe my memory sucks (probably does), I was just thinking he was hired early December which would've given him less than 2 months till signing day. Not a ton of time to interview potential staff, IMO.
You're right about the timing, but that's still early in the game. Interviewed and accepted the job on Tuesday following the end of tree regular season. Doesn't happen any earlier than that.

GET TICKETS

Back