• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs Illinois Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Final thoughts.

Okay, I’m going to take it a bit easy on these guys. They didn’t play well. Illinois played hard and made some adjustments in their off week—they deserve credit. Nebraska made some crucial mistakes that put themselves in a decent hole. It looked ugly, it looked grim.

When the dust settled, Nebraska gutted out a 31-16 victory that was short on style-points but once again showed how resilient this team truly can be.

Now no one is claiming that Nebraska beat a good football team. But the reason for some benefit of doubt here for the Cornhuskers is the number of injuries to the offensive side of the ball—particularly the offensive line.

Already down Tanner Farmer, David Knevel tried to go but could not. Cethan Carter went down early in the game—a big blow to the offensive line as he is perhaps the best blocker outside of Gates. Nebraska lined up against Illinois’ outstanding defensive line with Gates, Hahn, Utter, Whitaker, and Conrad. By the way, three former walk-ons in that group.

Already down Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp took a knee to the backside and left the game. After a critical Wilbon fumble, Nebraska lost Devine Ozigbo to injury leaving only Terrell Newby as the only RB the coaches felt they could trust. Apparently, Wilbon was injured on the fumble play.

Nebraska trailed 16-10 and under normal circumstances, fans would have been nervous but confident that there was plenty of time to wear down the Illinois team.

But where was the comeback going to come from? Bad Tommy had shown up in the first half. The Wilbon fumble brought back many bad memories of games where NU just couldn’t seem to punch the ball into the end zone. The offensive line was in tatters.

Enter Terrell Newby with his finest game as a Husker. Midway through the third quarter, Nebraska launched an epic 18 play 10 minute plus drive that had more twists and turns than any drive I can remember.

Now let’s be honest, Nebraska caught a few breaks. A silly horse collar penalty on third and long extended the drive. A touchy fourth down PI extended the drive. Then the fourth down play at the three that was too close for comfort.

In the end, Newby rushed the left side for paydirt and Nebraska had the lead again.

Having not seen the football for over a half hour of actual time, Illinois just had no offensive steam at that point. Nebraska forced a three and out. Illinois punted and Nebraska mounted yet another long drive for a touchdown capped by a third down TD pass from Armstrong to backup TE Trey Foster.

Then Nebraska forced another three and out, and Lovie Smith did something that made Husker fans smile, he decided to punt on fourth and two. On the second play from scrimmage, Newby raced 63 yards for the final score.

But the turning point may have come before all of that. Down 13-10, Illinois drove deep into Nebraska territory following the Wilbon fumble. They had all the momentum. NU was on the ropes. A touchdown might have been too much to overcome there. Nebraska’s defense found a way to hold Illinois to a FG, and from there it was all NU. Credit the defense for making a key stand there.

This game featured good Tommy and bad Tommy. Bad Tommy was very, very bad as usual. His first half interception was just a brutal play. He appeared to actually try to throw the ball through two defenders to get the ball to his receiver. If the first guy hadn’t made the play, the second guy would have. What was he looking at?

Oh well. His touchdown pass to Trey Foster was classic good Tommy as he avoided the rush and strong-armed it to Foster.

For the most part, Tommy played a very good game and if Brandon Reilly hadn’t dropped an easy (likely TD) pass early in the game he might have been off to a monster game.

Defensively, there were too many missed tackles to suit Coach Banker. The defense just seemed off kilter most of the game although they did generally do a good job keeping Illinois out of the end zone. Again, the key stop to force the last Illinois FG was one of the highlights and then they did a good job closing out the game.

But the star of the game was Terrell Newby who rushed for over 100 yards in the fourth quarter. After the game, he gave credit to the offensive line who patched it together in the fourth quarter to help NU win the game going away.

Some notes on this game.

After being robbed of his first season sack of the year against Oregon, Freedom Akinmoladun finally got his first sack of 2016—and first sack since getting injured early last year.

Trey Foster with his first catch of the season—a key 6 yard TD catch. “Next man up,” indeed.

Caleb Lightbourn never punted in this game. He could have stayed home.

Nice to see De’Mornay Pierson-El a bit more aggressive in his punt returns.

Drew Brown’s 56 yard FG try sure did look like a good kick. Just short.

Not sure our linebackers are going to enjoy watching this game film.

After outscoring Illinois 21-0 in the fourth quarter, NU has now outscored their opponents 78-6 in the fourth quarter this year. Wow!

This team is resilient. But they still shoot themselves in the foot far too many times to really give fans reason for unguarded optimism.

With all the injuries, Nebraska survived this game in more ways than one. Now with an off-week, the topsy-turvy world that is Nebraska football version 2016 can continue in two weeks as NU travels to Indiana to play the Hoosiers for the very first time in Big Ten play.

Time to heel up. And hey, Boe Wilson is still wearing a redshirt.

5-0. 2-0 in Big Ten play.

Just win, baby.

Take care all.

As always, HIO, I look forward to your final game updates every bit as much as I look forward to what Shatel, McKewon and Sipple have to say.

My midshipmen got beat by Air Force. Will have to see if the sun comes up in the morning.
No more rates and a loss! :O O:

Did anybody notice...did we stop running that swinging gate nonsense for extra points?
I thought we did for the most part. I don't know if we did at the end of the game but then again, we weren't going for two during any of those PAT tries. I mean after all, we aren't Oregon.:Biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back