• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Music Thread

goodnterribles

Optics and Kool Aid
10 Year Member
Since most of us are probably tired of talking politics (lord knows I am), I thought I'd do something a little lighter. In the modern era of music, who do you think are the most important (not necessarily best, but most important) musicians or groups? By modern era, I'm saying post WWII because before that, only the true audiophiles would know some obscure blues musician who had 582 unreleased songs, each around 51 seconds long. :)

I'm going to say #1 is Elvis Aaron Presley. I know it's obvious, but I wonder how the trajectory of music would have changed if he didn't come around at that exact time. He made it ok for white people to like black music, and he influenced John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, and loads of other acts. Without him, do the Beatles happen? Without the Beatles, does the rest of the British invasion happen?

The other one is a little less obvious. I'm going with Black Sabbath. If you aren't a fan of heavy metal, you probably won't agree with this. But almost every heavy metal group in the last 40 years has been influenced by Sabbath. It's hard to think one genre of music where one band or person has had so much influence.

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks and who your choices are.

I can't argue with Elvis being at or near the top. I would add Bob Dylan. Before Dylan, most popular music had lyrics with "moon/June/spoon" rhymes. Dylan utilized complex poetry, and also wrote and recorded songs that were longer than the typical 2 1/2 or 3 minutes.

I can't argue with Elvis being at or near the top. I would add Bob Dylan. Before Dylan, most popular music had lyrics with "moon/June/spoon" rhymes. Dylan utilized complex poetry, and also wrote and recorded songs that were longer than the typical 2 1/2 or 3 minutes.

Also another very good choice. There are a lot of folk singers from the 60s that changed music lyrically (the Byrds, Mamas and the Papas, etc). I think Dylan gets overlooked a lot because he was such a horrendous singer, and so many of his songs were popularized by other artists.

The other one is a little less obvious. I'm going with Black Sabbath. If you aren't a fan of heavy metal, you probably won't agree with this. But almost every heavy metal group in the last 40 years has been influenced by Sabbath. It's hard to think one genre of music where one band or person has had so much influence.
And Queen

John Lennon. As Steven Stills once said he was a like a pied piper to song writers once he started writing the songs he did around the Rubber Soul album and on. It made then realize it was okay to tell stories and not just write just one love song after another.

John Lennon. As Steven Stills once said he was a like a pied piper to song writers once he started writing the songs he did around the Rubber Soul album and on. It made then realize it was okay to tell stories and not just write just one love song after another.
I'd put Eddie Vedder in the same vein of writer/story teller

Last edited:
Like it(them) or not, but Led Zeppelin was and still is a huge influence on bands and the way bands recorded. Zeppelin and it's producers and sound engineers pioneered many studio tricks and techniques and even though so many things have changed since the late 1960's early 1970's, Zeppelin helped pave the way for many bands.

Like it(them) or not, but Led Zeppelin was and still is a huge influence on bands and the way bands recorded. Zeppelin and it's producers and sound engineers pioneered many studio tricks and techniques and even though so many things have changed since the late 1960's early 1970's, Zeppelin helped pave the way for many bands.

true story.

A couple of bands who aren't quite as iconic but were tremendously influential:

1. Kraftwerk - Like them or not, their "Krautrock" blueprint was all over new wave, '80s/'90s pop, recent indie rock, U2, REM, Radiohead, etc.

2. Pixies - Along with Husker Du, they laid the foundation for the last 25 years of guitar-oriented indie rock. The "loudquietloud" dynamics aren't necessarily anything new but the Pixies mastered the formula. Cobain admittedly ripped them off on many occasions.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back