• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Music Thread

Vedder & Pearl Jam, Cobain & Nirvana drove the rock music scene for more than a decade. Some of their 'descendants' are among my favorite modern rock bands.

I think they were influential as well, but for different reasons. I think they ruined rock music.

Kraftwerk is a good entry on here.

I'd probably say Michael Jackson as well, but that's low-hanging fruit.

Agree with led zep. And I'd throw in Metallica for mainstreaming post-Sabbath metal.

I think they saved RnR from the sad parody it was becoming with hair metal. However, I don't know how folks can throw Nirvana and PJ in the same category. They both got the "grunge" label but that's only because the dilettantes thought two things; 1. They weren't hair metal and, 2. They were both from Seattle. I can see how some folks might find Nirvana to be a little grating. They had the DIY punk thing going (although their big albums were with Albini and Vig at the helm). However, and I'm not really a PJ fan, Pearl Jam was far from a 3 chord punk band. PJ's songwriting is a throwback. Yellow Ledbetter is a Little Wing ripoff, I think McCready has said as much. Nirvana was about attitude, honesty, and melody. PJ were song craftsmen.

I think they were influential as well, but for different reasons. I think they ruined rock music.

I think they saved RnR from the sad parody it was becoming with hair metal. However, I don't know how folks can throw Nirvana and PJ in the same category. They both got the "grunge" label but that's only because the dilettantes thought two things; 1. They weren't hair metal and, 2. They were both from Seattle. I can see how some folks might find Nirvana to be a little grating. They had the DIY punk thing going (although their big albums were with Albini and Vig at the helm). However, and I'm not really a PJ fan, Pearl Jam was far from a 3 chord punk band. PJ's songwriting is a throwback. Yellow Ledbetter is a Little Wing ripoff, I think McCready has said as much. Nirvana was about attitude, honesty, and melody. PJ were song craftsmen.

Hair metal was fun, but some of it was too bubble-gum. But metal band like Metallica and Megadeth kind of fell by the wayside. The slightly lighter rock bands (such as the Scorpions) fell out of mainstream appeal, too.

I admit that I like parts of "Ten," but aside from that I don't care much for Pearl Jam. Nirvana was never really in my wheelhouse. I think rock music became less fun, more downtrodden, at that point.

Metallica fell by the wayside? I think the "Black Album" came out about the same time as "Nevermind." Metallica was a fringe band (and, IMO, a good band) until the Black Album came out. That propelled them to super-stardom. The Scorpions were already past their prime by that point. There are a few PJ songs I like but, yeah, I'm not a big fan. I did like Bleach, Nevermind, and parts of In Utero so I suppose I'm a Nirvana fan. Also, although I like the whole spectrum, I typically prefer depressing, melancholy music as opposed to cheery, bubble-gum stuff.

Hair metal was fun, but some of it was too bubble-gum. But metal band like Metallica and Megadeth kind of fell by the wayside. The slightly lighter rock bands (such as the Scorpions) fell out of mainstream appeal, too.

I admit that I like parts of "Ten," but aside from that I don't care much for Pearl Jam. Nirvana was never really in my wheelhouse. I think rock music became less fun, more downtrodden, at that point.

Metallica fell by the wayside? I think the "Black Album" came out about the same time as "Nevermind." Metallica was a fringe band (and, IMO, a good band) until the Black Album came out. That propelled them to super-stardom. The Scorpions were already past their prime by that point. There are a few PJ songs I like but, yeah, I'm not a big fan. I did like Bleach, Nevermind, and parts of In Utero so I suppose I'm a Nirvana fan. Also, although I like the whole spectrum, I typically prefer depressing, melancholy music as opposed to cheery, bubble-gum stuff.

Yeah, the Black Album came out then, but it was kind of a last hurrah for that kind of music. Metallica, while achieving commercial success, hasn't really been able to re capture that sound (or anything like how they sounded before). Maybe that's due to the absence of Cliff, or maybe it's James' progressively worse vocals, or other things. Megadeth has continued to rock, but nobody really paid attention (not that they ever had the success of Metallica, of course).

I think there should be a place for upbeat music in the rock world. Maybe not to the extreme we saw with some bands, but it sure would be nice to hear something less depressing again some day. But that has been relegated to the realm of teeny bopper pop music. Unfortunate, in my opinion.

This is only my opinion, but I thought the Black Album was a departure from the Metallica sound. I LOVE Kill 'Em All. Hit The Lights is probably in my top 20 side 1, track 1s. I enjoyed Master, Ride the Lightning, and Justice but not nearly as much as the raw energy of Kill 'Em All. The Black Album was reaching for cross-appeal and found it. Megadeth has always been a niche thrash band. They're good at what they do but they've always had a limited audience. I don't know if there is a dearth of upbeat Rock music. The top 40 world, as you note, is certainly full of it. I look at the top touring acts of 2015 and none of them are dark or shoe gaze-y bands http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci...-highest-grossing-tours-of-2015/#7fc3ddd3e0e5

Yeah, the Black Album came out then, but it was kind of a last hurrah for that kind of music. Metallica, while achieving commercial success, hasn't really been able to re capture that sound (or anything like how they sounded before). Maybe that's due to the absence of Cliff, or maybe it's James' progressively worse vocals, or other things. Megadeth has continued to rock, but nobody really paid attention (not that they ever had the success of Metallica, of course).

I think there should be a place for upbeat music in the rock world. Maybe not to the extreme we saw with some bands, but it sure would be nice to hear something less depressing again some day. But that has been relegated to the realm of teeny bopper pop music. Unfortunate, in my opinion.

I don't think there is any doubt that Metallica died with Cliff Burton. I am guessing much of the music from '...and Justice for All' was Burton's doing as well. I was lukewarm to the Black album but I think most of the reason was that it just wasn't Metallica. If another band put that album out, I would have liked it more but it just wasn't Metallica to me.

This is only my opinion, but I thought the Black Album was a departure from the Metallica sound. I LOVE Kill 'Em All. Hit The Lights is probably in my top 20 side 1, track 1s. I enjoyed Master, Ride the Lightning, and Justice but not nearly as much as the raw energy of Kill 'Em All. The Black Album was reaching for cross-appeal and found it. Megadeth has always been a niche thrash band. They're good at what they do but they've always had a limited audience. I don't know if there is a dearth of upbeat Rock music. The top 40 world, as you note, is certainly full of it. I look at the top touring acts of 2015 and none of them are dark or shoe gaze-y bands http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci...-highest-grossing-tours-of-2015/#7fc3ddd3e0e5

'Kill 'em All' was brilliantly raw in its sound. The next three were definitely more polished in the studio but kept a pretty high energy imo. The Black album was just something else entirely.

I, much like you, enjoyed a lot of hair metal and while I now realize a lot of it was crap, I am still nostalgic for it and listen to it quite often. We just bought a new Toyota and we get Sirius satellite radio for free for 3 months..."Hair Nation" is one of my favs.

I like two PJ songs, Black and Yellow Ledbetter. Nirvana had some good songs littered throughout their collection but not enough for me to say I was a huge fan of them. I liked Soundgarden more than both of them.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, I'm 39 years old, I was raised on hair metal. I have a nostalgic soft spot for it as well. However, yeah, even though I'll still sing along when I hear it, it was generally crap music.

I. much like you, enjoyed a lot of hair metal and while I now realize a lot of it was crap, I am still nostalgic for it and listen to it quite often. We just bought a new Toyota and we get Sirius satellite radio for free for 3 months..."Hair Nation" is one of my favs.

I like two PJ songs, Black and Yellow Ledbetter. Nirvana had some good songs littered throughout their collection but not enough for me to say I was a huge fan of them. I liked Soundgarden more than both of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 39 years old, I was raised on hair metal. I have a nostalgic soft spot for it as well. However, yeah, even though I'll still sing along when I hear it, it was generally crap music.

Dokken is the perfect example for me. I used to love Dokken when I was in high school but when I hear it now, I cringe...as I sing along with it.
George Lynch was a good guitarist though imo.

Guys, keep in mind you should take all of this with a grain of salt... I'm still the guy who prefers the Monkees to the Beatles. :)

80s stuff wasn't that bad.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back