• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Connie Yori out as Nebraska Women's Basketball Coach

Why do you do that? It's so stupid and infantile. The man played his heart out for DONU and came home to help resurrect a wayward program. Maybe it hasn't worked out as well as everyone wanted, but the man deserves more than to be belittled by some anonymous message board poster whose name means a dirty nutsack.

Excellent post, Mack. Same when he calls him The Volunteer Assistant 4 years into the job, rather than by his name. He was a great and loyal Husker, a man of impeccable character, has a great young family. I too had hoped for better on the field results, but but he doesn't deserve the kind of crap Fromunda throws at him. Says more about Fromunda than it does Darin.

Last edited:

From outward appearances she didn't seem to put up much of a fight in resigning. Maybe she is burned out and needs some 'me' time.

That might be the most absurd post I have ever read.
You are way off base here, factually and in every other way. We have been nowhere near "awful" since the Sweet 16 appearance (sic).
Well...other than that...
Absolutely she was a quality coach.

I am the first to admit that I am no expert in the ways of women's college hoops -- I only get to follow the team occasionally on the radio and when they are televised, which isn't often. But after their second Sweet 16 in three years it seemed like the program was on the cusp of BIG things. The last two seasons (Yori's 13th and 14th at NU) have instead been incredibly disappointing and I would welcome anyone's explanation or insight into why Yori doesn't play at least some role in that.

Losses|>10pts|>20pts|>30pts
2014: 7|3|0|0
2015: 11|3|1|1
2016: 13|9|5|3

RPI
2014: 18
2015: 41
2016: 111

Series Record (Same Span)
Iowa: 2-4
Maryland: 0-3 (Average Margin: 29pts)
NW: 2-3
Ohio State: 1-2
Purdue: 2-3
Rutgers: 1-3

I am genuinely interested in what would account for the program's fall and whether you all regard it as a blip in the larger trend.

Last edited:

I'm no expert on women's bball either, mort...bUT if someone did for the men's program what yori did for the women's program there would be a statue of him and the arena would probably be named for him. A couple off seasons (that weren't awful) could be tolerated. Now the off court stuff changes that dynamic...

I am the first to admit that I am no expert in the ways of women's college hoops -- I only get to follow the team occasionally on the radio and when they are televised, which isn't often. But after their second Sweet 16 in three years it seemed like the program was on the cusp of BIG things. The last two seasons (Yori's 13th and 14th at NU) have instead been incredibly disappointing and I would welcome anyone's explanation or insight into why Yori doesn't play at least some role in that.

Losses|>10pts|>20pts|>30pts
2014: 7|3|0|0
2015: 11|3|1|1
2016: 13|9|5|3

RPI
2014: 18
2015: 41
2016: 111

Series Record (Same Span)
Iowa: 2-4
Maryland: 0-3 (Average Margin: 29pts)
NW: 2-3
Ohio State: 1-2
Purdue: 2-3
Rutgers: 1-3

I am genuinely interested in what would account for the program's fall and whether you all regard it as a blip in the larger trend.

Well, if you want to narrow the focus to a 2 year period vs. the last 6 years vs. a 14 year track record (which can be pretty misleading): Your assumptions are still wrong that there was a "program fall". That I suppose could be an opinion but it certainly isn't a fact. And "incredibly" disappointing would seem to be hyperbole on the level of saying our program has been "awful".

For crying out loud we made the NCAA tournament in one of the two years you are looking at. Prior to our best player and point guard breaking her foot in February, we were rated, had a high RPI, were ranked at the top of the conference. Even with the injury to a very key player (point guards are pretty huge in post-season play, and ours was a difference maker), we made the tournament, and lost at the buzzer to a rising Syracuse team, which had enough talent to make the NCAA finals this year.

We had 4 senior starters on that team. 3 of them had over 100 career starts each. 2015-16 was always going to be a rebuilding year. Despite that, we had a good season going, with some tough Big 10 road wins, when we lost 2 of our 3 starting guards for the season. Despite the rebuilding year, we still finished in the middle of the league, went 18-13, made the NIT.

While we had some transfers out, the recruiting classes were still highly ranked. There was no sign of a cratering of the program.

Did Yori's approach contribute to the rash of injuries/conditions? Are any of the other allegations valid? I don't know. Smallwood and Shimmy leaving signs of some underlying issues? All these things warning signs of a big problem? Could be. But in terms of results, this program was humming along, with a very successful track record both athletically and academically. Recruiting was solid, with connections across the country paying dividends. A good hire in Brittany Brown to keep that moving.

I hope our fans aren't to the point where they describe 4 NCAA tournament berths in 5 years as "awful". If our worst year is 18-13 and an NIT bid, well, we're doing pretty well. Realistically, this is still Nebraska. We're not going to make the tournament every year. We play in a tough league. Maryland joining it will reduce our chances for championships no doubt, it is a BEAST. While we produce more D1 girls than in boys basketball, recruiting is still a challenge.

Perhaps by having 2 sweet 16 squads, regular and tournament league championships, and being a consensus NATIONAL coach of the year in the sport of basketball at Nebraska, Yori was a victim of her own success, and expectations got a little out of whack. Again, I'm not saying there could't be legitimate problems leading to a surprising termination, but it wasn't do to what was happening in recruiting and on the court results, I can assure you of that.

Last edited:
My conclusions could absolutely be tied to the early success that Yori had. Legit point.

It is also an admittedly small sample size, but folks seem to be ignoring how this team has been getting absolutely boat-raced by the conference elite (Maryland, Ohio State) and seems to have forgotten how to beat Iowa.

The women's game enjoys far less parity than the men's side and I felt that Nebraska had established itself as a "have" (certainly has the facilities and personnel to compete), but was brought back down to reality these last few years.

I appreciate everyone's insight here. I don't think that labeling as awful a season in which a Husker team gets beat by a wide margin in 30% of its games, but we are all entitled to our opinion.

I hope that the recent heights of the program (undoubtedly thanks in major part to Yori) will help lure a great new coach and reverse recent fortunes.

My conclusions could absolutely be tied to the early success that Yori had. Legit point.

It is also an admittedly small sample size, but folks seem to be ignoring how this team has been getting absolutely boat-raced by the conference elite (Maryland, Ohio State) and seems to have forgotten how to beat Iowa.

The women's game enjoys far less parity than the men's side and I felt that Nebraska had established itself as a "have" (certainly has the facilities and personnel to compete), but was brought back down to reality these last few years.

I appreciate everyone's insight here. I don't think that labeling as awful a season in which a Husker team gets beat by a wide margin in 30% of its games, but we are all entitled to our opinion.

I hope that the recent heights of the program (undoubtedly thanks in major part to Yori) will help lure a great new coach and reverse recent fortunes.

Well, admittedly you don't follow it closely and don't know much about the college women's game. I do, and have for 25 years. You insist that a basketball team from Nebraska which makes the NCAA tournament is awful. That is sad, but carry on.

Well, if you want to narrow the focus to a 2 year period vs. the last 6 years vs. a 14 year track record (which can be pretty misleading): Your assumptions are still wrong that there was a "program fall". That I suppose could be an opinion but it certainly isn't a fact. And "incredibly" disappointing would seem to be hyperbole on the level of saying our program has been "awful".

For crying out loud we made the NCAA tournament in one of the two years you are looking at. Prior to our best player and point guard breaking her foot in February, we were rated, had a high RPI, were ranked at the top of the conference. Even with the injury to a very key player (point guards are pretty huge in post-season play, and ours was a difference maker), we made the tournament, and lost at the buzzer to a rising Syracuse team, which had enough talent to make the NCAA finals this year.

We had 4 senior starters on that team. 3 of them had over 100 career starts each. 2015-16 was always going to be a rebuilding year. Despite that, we had a good season going, with some tough Big 10 road wins, when we lost 2 of our 3 starting guards for the season. Despite the rebuilding year, we still finished in the middle of the league, went 18-13, made the NIT.

While we had some transfers out, the recruiting classes were still highly ranked. There was no sign of a cratering of the program.

Did Yori's approach contribute to the rash of injuries/conditions? Are any of the other allegations valid? I don't know. Smallwood and Shimmy leaving signs of some underlying issues? All these things warning signs of a big problem? Could be. But in terms of results, this program was humming along, with a very successful track record both athletically and academically. Recruiting was solid, with connections across the country paying dividends. A good hire in Brittany Brown to keep that moving.

I hope our fans aren't to the point where they describe 4 NCAA tournament berths in 5 years as "awful". If our worst year is 18-13 and an NIT bid, well, we're doing pretty well. Realistically, this is still Nebraska. We're not going to make the tournament every year. We play in a tough league. Maryland joining it will reduce our chances for championships no doubt, it is a BEAST. While we produce more D1 girls than in boys basketball, recruiting is still a challenge.

Perhaps by having 2 sweet 16 squads, regular and tournament league championships, and being a consensus NATIONAL coach of the year in the sport of basketball at Nebraska, Yori was a victim of her own success, and expectations got a little out of whack. Again, I'm not saying there could't be legitimate problems leading to a surprising termination, but it wasn't do to what was happening in recruiting and on the court results, I can assure you of that.

Would have to agree here. Without an investigation, she is still coaching. Even with the player complaints, she may still be there. My guess is that asking staff to lie for her in divorce proceedings was the straw that broke the back, as it were. Everything being rumor at this point, if that part is true, you would have a university official asking subordinates to possibly lie to a civil court. Really an unfortunate situation.

I think it's something that has gotten bigger over the last couple years. The record has shown it. Injuries have played a part in that, but are the injuries also part of the problem.

I know one thing. If we were on the football forum and a player decided to leave it would be discussed for a week. And if a coach left it would be the same.

The women's basketball program has far fewer players and coaches then the football team. Yet according to the article in the original post, since 2014, 2 players transferred, 3 left the team, 1 recruit was released when her older sister left. Two coaches left, and a program director. If there was that much turnover in the football program, without a head coaching change, people would be screaming something must be wrong.

And here is the latest from the Father of Jess Shepard.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_2543fd00-fc33-11e5-a60b-971120c1acab.html

" Mark Shepard, the father of Nebraska Big Ten Freshman of the Year Jessica Shepard, said the Fremont native and Husker star is likely to stick with NU after the resignation of coach Connie Yori.
"The bottom line is, since she was young, Jessica has only wanted to go to Nebraska," Mark Shepard said of his daughter, arguably the top recruit in Husker history and a first-team All-Big Ten player. Even with Yori leaving, Mark Shepard said, that's not likely to change.
But Jessica Shepard was "very close" to Yori, Mark Shepard said, and liked playing for her. Mark Shepard said he'd heard no complaints from his daughter about Yori's coaching style."

Last edited:
Chill out, Sandhills. You may be an expert, but you are taking this way too seriously. And you have yet to provide a reasonable explanation for Nebraska being absolutely noncompetitive against the elite teams of the conference and often stymied by the mid-level teams.

Yori may be a great coach, but most great coaches are able to sustain success while keeping every game competitive. There is a different standard being applied here. If the football team lost 30% of their games by more than 3 possessions the board would be apoplectic.

Chill out, Sandhills. You may be an expert, but you are taking this way too seriously. And you have yet to provide a reasonable explanation for Nebraska being absolutely noncompetitive against the elite teams of the conference and often stymied by the mid-level teams.

Yori may be a great coach, but most great coaches are able to sustain success while keeping every game competitive. There is a different standard being applied here. If the football team lost 30% of their games by more than 3 possessions the board would be apoplectic.

I don't take orders from you, and could care less about your myopic focus on margin of victory. Me thinks you are a football fan who knows not much about college basketball. By that standard, all teams in the NCAA tournament except UConn are awful, because none of them kept the game competitive.

She was the BIG coach of the year in 2014 for goodness sake. BTW, Syracuse lost more than 30% of their regular season games, most by more than 10, then made it to the men's final four. Basketball is not football. Yori is a great coach. Divorce messes crap up sometimes.

The LJS ran a story about the former women's bball staffer who filed the complaint.

A former Nebraska women’s basketball staff member confirmed to the Journal Star on Wednesday that she had filed a complaint against the University of Nebraska alleging discrimination.

Jan Bethea, who was the program’s director of basketball operations for five seasons before leaving in 2015, said she filed the complaint this year. At NU, she coordinated the Huskers' scheduling and team travel, among other duties, and also was on the bench during games.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/former-women-s-hoops-staffer-says-she-filed-discrimination-complaint/article_256e341c-a9b0-5dcd-9c14-624902862dc7.html

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back