• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USC's Next Coach

LAPDHusker

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I would bet a bunch of money if Mike Riley wasn't sitting in Lincoln, Ne, USC would have gone after him hard!!

I bet you're right. USC tried for him twice before, and right now they need to hire a "nice guy" who won't drag the program into any drama.

I bet you're right. USC tried for him twice before, and right now they need to hire a "nice guy" who won't drag the program into any drama.

I can bet that they wouldn't go after him nearly as hard today. I don't mind a little drama if we are winning games.

I can bet that they wouldn't go after him nearly as hard today. I don't mind a little drama if we are winning games.

Why not, they did twice while he was at OSU and we all know by now how horrible he was there

Why not, they did twice while he was at OSU and we all know by now how horrible he was there

What is USC's program going to provide Riley with that NU can't. Of course the obvious would be the talent pool, but that doesn't always guarantee success. Riley has been to two different programs, with two different support systems, two different histories, and two different fan expectations, but has THUS FAR provided the same results.

USC going after him probably felt the same way that SE felt bringing him in. Give him the opportunity to be successful being that he doesn't have the best platform to be success while at OSU. Yes, he's a nice guy, but that doesn't make you a great coach. Honestly I would have like to seen him throw a headset in one of those losses (like Urban Meyer did vs Clemson & Michigan St a couple seasons ago), rather than walking off with a smile waving and shaking hands. A little fire would be a little more desirable, IMO.

Do you really think that USC is currently as optimistic over his potential based on his results in Lincoln vs the competition he's faced thus far. And it's not like he is a 35 year old HC coming up in the ranks. His teams, results showcase a pattern outside of the final score board. A program investing millions into an individual who will be in control of that program that brings in millions will pay more attention than most fans. Some SE should have considered when looking for a replacement for our previous coach. Mike Riley is a swell individual, and arguments can be made for his lack of success at OSU, but regardless, there is no way anyone can get me to believe he was the best coach available or even close to it.

I truly hope he has the type success that makes me forget, ignore, and deny that I doubted him early in his career here.

What is USC's program going to provide Riley with that NU can't. Of course the obvious would be the talent pool, but that doesn't always guarantee success. Riley has been to two different programs, with two different support systems, two different histories, and two different fan expectations, but has THUS FAR provided the same results.

USC going after him probably felt the same way that SE felt bringing him in. Give him the opportunity to be successful being that he doesn't have the best platform to be success while at OSU. Yes, he's a nice guy, but that doesn't make you a great coach. Honestly I would have like to seen him throw a headset in one of those losses (like Urban Meyer did vs Clemson & Michigan St a couple seasons ago), rather than walking off with a smile waving and shaking hands. A little fire would be a little more desirable, IMO.

Do you really think that USC is currently as optimistic over his potential based on his results in Lincoln vs the competition he's faced thus far. And it's not like he is a 35 year old HC coming up in the ranks. His teams, results showcase a pattern outside of the final score board. A program investing millions into an individual who will be in control of that program that brings in millions will pay more attention than most fans. Some SE should have considered when looking for a replacement for our previous coach. Mike Riley is a swell individual, and arguments can be made for his lack of success at OSU, but regardless, there is no way anyone can get me to believe he was the best coach available or even close to it.

I truly hope he has the type success that makes me forget, ignore, and deny that I doubted him early in his career here.

Inever said he was going only replying to you assuming they wouldnt based on what he has done here.

Inever said he was going only replying to you assuming they wouldnt based on what he has done here.

Not solely on just what he as done here but what he has done at all of his stops at coaching. NU is only his most recent stop. He hasn't excel at NU, OSU, NO Saints, SD Chargers......etc.....He obviously has some value and can develop some great talent, otherwise he wouldn't have been active this long in his career, but really, what on his resume says he would be successful at a program like NU/USC

I had a thread on this earlier this week and it has more to do with stability as anything else. USC has been in varying degrees of turmoil for the better part of 6 years now and Haden would like nothing better to have a degree of peace. Riley is both respected and a calming influence, he would be a popular pick with the media and you would be sure that Troy would enter a era of calm when it comes to drama around the program. I have no doubt if this happened Oct 2014 that Riley would be the likely next coach at USC, however it didn't and he will be our coach for the next decade or so.

I've often wondered why anyone points to USC as a benchmark for coaching hires. Other than hiring a guy who cheated his way to championships, USC had been horrendous in the hiring department.

I've often wondered why anyone points to USC as a benchmark for coaching hires. Other than hiring a guy who cheated his way to championships, USC had been horrendous in the hiring department.

Please explain how Carroll "cheated " his way to championship, and please use only facts, not internet rumor or folklore.

Riley is not going anywhere until NU fans go full Cosgrove and start threatening his kids at their high school football games. We still have a few games before that will happen

That's what I was saying. I agreed with the original post:

I would bet a bunch of money if Mike Riley wasn't sitting in Lincoln, Ne, USC would have gone after him hard!!

But since Riley is already in Lincoln, it's not happening (especially when you factor in our 2-4 start).

USC will probably hire someone who won't bring any drama with him. I'm not sure who that'll be. I know most of my friends really want Kyle Whittingham from Utah.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back