• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked WHO WILL BE NEBRASKA'S NEXT OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you point out where I was moaning?

In this thread or countless other instances since our former coach was canned? ;)

Do you think Riley will continue to do what he feels comfortable with offensively? And is that somehow a problem for you?

I think Riley will not only adjust to the talent on his team, but also to the conference he is playing in.

Those passing numbers might look like a lot to us. But when you compare them to other Pac12 teams, they really aren't anything out of the ordinary. On top of that, Riley has had multiple seasons in which his teams ran the ball more than they threw it.

If Riley says he'll adjust to certain circumstances, why would you not believe him?

I think he'll adjust, but it will still be within his general comfort zone... which is heavy in the passing game. Running the ball more than you throw it is the norm for just about any team not coached by Mike Leach. :)

I don't know why you continue to argue that he doesn't throw the ball a lot. The history is pretty clear.

Where have I said, or even implied, that I hope he will be bad? You're not making any sense. Again, you're probably better off calling into a radio program with this gibberish... please throw in another complaint about the Blackshirts while you're at it.

You sir, will still get one free Skunk Hug if we ever meet up at Smoker's tail gate!

I'll pass.

Oregon Sate 1,500-YARD RUSHERS
PLAYER YARDS ATT TDS
1. Ken Simonton (1998-2001) 5,044 1,041 59
2. Jacquizz Rodgers (2008-10) 3,877 788 46
3. Yvenson Bernard (2004-07) 3,862 876 38
4. Steven Jackson (2001-03) 3,625 743 39

Yet the Beavers never finished better than 40th in rushing offense. People expecting the offense to lean on the run over the pass are ignoring history and this list just goes to show MR had the players to run more.

I was actually bothered by Riley's comment about incorporating some option. He has never used it nor has anyone he's brought on board so far. He needs to stick with his strengths. Shaping the offense to fit the players is fine but it needs to be within a scheme he knows well. Frost as OC would change my feelings on that. Langsdorf would not.

I'm not all that wild about being a passing team in our climate and conference but the Banker hire has me more concerned about that side of the ball.

I thought we needed a change but I'm finding reasons to be optimistic about the future much harder than I thought it would be. Maybe this will turn out great but there's much more evidence on the side that this will be at best a break even proposition compared to the Pelini era, at least in terms of wins and losses.

Last edited:
I think he'll adjust, but it will still be within his general comfort zone... which is heavy in the passing game. Running the ball more than you throw it is the norm for just about any team not coached by Mike Leach. :)

I don't know why you continue to argue that he doesn't throw the ball a lot. The history is pretty clear.

No one is saying he hasn't thrown the ball a lot. It's not what I would label as a "pass-happy" offense. And I think it's not so much to not take him at his word when he says he will adjust to his surroundings.

Last edited:

No one is saying he hasn't thrown the ball a lot. It's not what I would label as a "pass-happy" offense. And I think it's not so much to not take him at his word when he says he will adjust to his surroundings.

His numbers may change naturally considering (we hope) that he'll be playing with a lead more often.

His numbers may change naturally considering (we hope) that he'll be playing with a lead more often.

Was his balance different in his 9 win seasons relative to the losing seasons? He had some years with records very similar to what we've seen the past 7 years. I'm too lazy to look but I don't recall a striking difference. Unless he hires an OC with a different background and turns over play calling duties (I don't think either will happen and would bring its own set of concerns if it did) I think what you see is what you get.

Last edited:

Was his balance different in his 9 win seasons relative to the losing seasons? He had some years with records very similar to what we've seen the past 7 years. I'm too lazy to look but I don't recall a striking difference. Unless he hires an OC with a different background and turns over play calling duties (I don't think either will happen and would bring its own set of concerns if it did) I think what you see is what you get.

I would be very surprised if he doesn't run the ball more here than he did at Oregon State.

First, he said he wants to adjust to the talent he has on the team. Secondly, he's not in the Pac12 anymore. Third, he will have more talent to work with here which means there will likely be more games in which Nebraska has the lead as opposed to Nebraska trying to catch up.

There will be an obvious difference, IMO. I'd be willing to place a friendly wager that Nebraska will run the ball on at least 50% of its attempts in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back