• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked [BREAKING] Nebraska-Wisconsin to play for the FREEDOM TROPHY

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
54f8741e01_Freedom-Trophy-spin.gif

“Trophy games are part of the tradition of college football, and I’m thrilled that we’re going to be introducing one into our rivalry with Nebraska,†Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez said. “The Freedom Trophy brings recognition to two historic football venues and it honors our nation’s veterans. It is something I know the coaches, student-athletes and fans of both programs will embrace for years to come.â€
“We are honored to partner with Wisconsin in an annual Freedom Trophy game, as both of our football programs and stadiums have rich histories and traditions,†Nebraska Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst said. “The Freedom Trophy provides a unique opportunity for us to pay special tribute to the brave men and women who have and will continue to defend our nation’s freedom.â€

http://sports-trivia.info/nebraska-wisconsin-to-play-for-freedom-trophy/

Last edited:

First impression - I like the trophy, it's well crafted and doesn't look like a collection of bowling trophies hot glued together (see: MSU/PSU Land Grant Trophy). I also can appreciate the war memorial ties, although it still doesn't scream college football to me.

I've been saying for years that Wisconsin should be the Battle of the Big Reds, and a recent Tom Shatel article also echoed that idea - having the winner of the game get the "right" to wear the Home Reds in next year's game. Can you imagine the Badgers waltzing into Memorial Stadium wearing red jerseys and forcing the Huskers to wear white? Talk about adding gas to a fire. That's one way to instantly add some crazy amount of hatred to an already heated rivalry.

Sorry Duck, I posted the same after yours. LOL!!! RR if you could merge or delete mine. Thank you!

Freedom will be what the Nebraska fan base feels if we win this game. Gone will be the shackles (at least for awhile) that weigh down so many on this forum.

It should be the cheesehead versus cobhead game with the losers having to wear the winners headgear.

Very few will pay attention or even remember. Like the thing created for Iowa, does anyone remember what it is? I don't. Waste of time by all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back