• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

San Antonio Spurs

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
I'm not a huge NBA fan... but I do pay attention more that most here, I'm sure.

Since moving to Texas, the only Texas team (all sports, all levels) I've truly grown to appreciate is the San Antonio Spurs. They are simply a class organization, with a collection of solid basketball players minus the apparent egos that so many NBA stars have. Not to mention arguably the greatest head coach in all of professional sports -- Gregg Popovich. Oh, and their team salary ranks 20th in the NBA. They are the ultimate "team," in that they are truly unselfish players who are in the mix every single season -- for quite a few years now. And it's hard not too root for the old guys in Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Those three have played together for 12 years. That's unheard of in today's professional sports world. Tonight, they are well on their way to winning their 111th playoff game as a trio. An all-time NBA record.

Go Spurs!

Last edited:

Once Green and Leonard got their feet on the ground this year, they became true title contenders. The defense that those 2 guys can play make them soooo much more dangerous.

Once Green and Leonard got their feet on the ground this year, they became true title contenders. The defense that those 2 guys can play make them soooo much more dangerous.

Danny Green struggled all playoffs offensively -- until the past few games (but yes, he is truly an asset defensively). Now, Green is on fire. And Leonard is simply one of the best defenders in the game. A perfect fit for that team. Patty Mills didn't do much tonight, but he's been a huge offensive spark plug this season. There's just too many weapons on the Spurs. No team has more players that can contribute in more ways than San Antonio.

I truly hope they win the NBA championship. Their game six loss to the Heat last season was one of the most painful losses you'll ever see. The Spurs should have won it last season. But this season's team is significantly better.

Last edited:
The Spurs make the NBA worth watching. As great as Durant and Westrbrook are, the OKC half court offense just makes me want to break my TV. Go Spurs.

Nothing makes the NBA worth watching in my opinion but San Antonio does seem like the least offensive team to root for.

The Spurs make the NBA worth watching. As great as Durant and Westrbrook are, the OKC half court offense just makes me want to break my TV. Go Spurs.

The Spurs are definitely the least "NBA" of the NBA teams. :)

With Duncan and Pop, they've always been the most fundamentally sound team. They pass the ball extremely well to find the open man. They lead the NBA in offensive efficiency. It is truly a basketball clinic watching the Spurs operate. Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are all locks to be Hall of Famers -- yet you never see them doing any national endorsements. If you play for the Spurs, you check you egos at the door and must be willing to play solid team basketball.

ESPN loves to show dunks and incredible shots. ESPN highlights players who are flashy and fun to watch. ESPN focuses on these shots and players in its game coverage and commentary of the league. Thus, teams and players who follow along these "guidelines of exciting basketball" are seen as important and covered more often. And those teams and players who are not are exiled to the cultural sidelines where they wait on the bench for their chance to play.

Enter the San Antonio Spurs. To the average fan, the Spurs are old, slow and boring. In an article I wrote last week, I tackled this perception of the Spurs, arguing that media portrays them in this light because they play decidedly non-flashy, team-oriented basketball: a style that does not lead to flamboyant highlights or sensational dunks. And, as suggested by the Agenda-Setting Theory, that perception is what everyone believes the Spurs embody.
The Spurs are not the Miami Heat. Tim Duncan is not LeBron James.

The team doesn't have players that fight during games or cause controversy off the court. The Spurs don't have players that over-commercialize themselves, seeking every endorsements and clothing deals available. The team just plays basketball, and over the course of the last 15 years they've played better than nearly every other sports franchise has played their sport.

You can rest assured that the management team in San Antonio has a very strong opinion about media attention: they don't need it and they don't want it. Anyone who is a fan knows that the Spurs strive to be quiet and intelligent, speaking with the media when necessary and always keeping the discussions positive and focused.

The Spurs don't do flash. They don't trash-talk teammates. They arrive on the court, do their job (which is to win) and then move on to the next game.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/2/14/3988612/san-antonio-spurs-information-age

When Duncan and Pop retire, you may never again see a team anywhere close to resembling the San Antonio Spurs.

The four teams still in contention are all fundamentally sound and all play as a team. I feel like there's a lot less isolation/one-on-one stuff than there used to be. You still have guys that will take bad (guarded) shots, but if you look at two nights back, Ray Allen hit four in-rhythm threes late, and that's what put the game away for the Heat. Most teams work really hard to get open shots, and the defense is really good in the playoffs. And I think Ray Allen is 50 or 60 years old.

I like all the teams except the Heat really, and even the Heat are okay. I wouldn't mind seeing any one of these teams win the championship, which is kind of a strange position to be in as a fan.

Last edited:
The four teams still in contention are all fundamentally sound and all play as a team. I feel like there's a lot less isolation/one-on-one stuff than there used to be. You still have guys that will take bad (guarded) shots, but if you look at two nights back, Ray Allen hit four in-rhythm threes late, and that's what put the game away for the Heat. Most teams work really hard to get open shots, and the defense is really good in the playoffs. And I think Ray Allen is 50 or 60 years old.

I like all the teams except the Heat really, and even the Heat are okay. I wouldn't mind seeing any one of these teams win the championship, which is kind of a strange position to be in as a fan.

Other than the Lakers and maybe the Knicks, I don't have any NBA teams I "hate."

Ray Allen has been a huge asset for Miami. He hit the three that basically won the championship for the Heat last season.

I do not like Miami because they are Miami.

Indiana looks like one of the most disfunctional teams in the league. Doesn't help chemistry when one player sleeps with another player's fiance. They are arguably the most talented deep team in the playoffs yet have guys like Stevenson who want to talk themselves up rather than let their performance do the talking.

San Antonio is hard not to like ... they epitomize teamwork, unselfishness. But I'm cheering for OKC. Love Durant, his work ethic and his talent.

What a great game! The Spurs had it tonight. Boris Diaw could very well be MVP worthy of that series (though Duncan would have a valid argument). Game 5 ... Pops decided to give Boris a bunch more minutes. Sitting Splitter. Plan was to pull Ibaka out away from the hoop, as Splitter is a mostly immobile big man, while Diaw can play all over the floor. And it worked. Game 6 as well, where Boris was huge! Simply put, the Spurs have a ton of weapons -- more than they've ever had.

San Antonio versus Miami. Again. But this time, the Spurs will have home floor. Go Spurs!

Last edited:
The Spurs are the only recognizable "trait" to the old NBA (Jordan Era) that is alive. That's true basketball, not 90% offensive isolation plays, dunks, and ZERO defense. I'd give $1000 to watch the old Detroit Pistons beat the living crap out of almost ALL of the NBA teams of today. I'm sorry, but that product has gone downhill so fast its not even funny. If the players actually took pride in their defensive performance as much as they do when they make a basket or flashy play, then maybe it'd get better over a decade or two. Having been best friends with Kirk Heinrich since HS, i can tell you that it's gotten soft, to the point where even some of the players play that "softness" to their advantage. Players care about their image now more than their performance in their job that makes them millions. BLAHHHHH!!!!:thumbsdown:

The Spurs are the only recognizable "trait" to the old NBA (Jordan Era) that is alive. That's true basketball, not 90% offensive isolation plays, dunks, and ZERO defense. I'd give $1000 to watch the old Detroit Pistons beat the living crap out of almost ALL of the NBA teams of today. I'm sorry, but that product has gone downhill so fast its not even funny. If the players actually took pride in their defensive performance as much as they do when they make a basket or flashy play, then maybe it'd get better over a decade or two. Having been best friends with Kirk Heinrich since HS, i can tell you that it's gotten soft, to the point where even some of the players play that "softness" to their advantage. Players care about their image now more than their performance in their job that makes them millions. BLAHHHHH!!!!:thumbsdown:

Actually, I think of the Spurs as a throwback to the 1980s teams -- like the Celtics or Lakers. Jordan was the start of the isolation play era.

the air conditioning went out in the arena tonight!?!?! crazy circumstance. never seen so many players/coaches/fans sweating so hard. seemed to lead to Lebron's cramps. and a Spurs win. crazy!

Not a Lebron fan, so I was happy to see them haul him off the court. I'm sure a lot will be made of the A/C going out since cramps was the word after the game. I say, oh well to that though. Both teams had to play in the same conditions. Go San Antonio!

Not a Lebron fan, so I was happy to see them haul him off the court. I'm sure a lot will be made of the A/C going out since cramps was the word after the game. I say, oh well to that though. Both teams had to play in the same conditions. Go San Antonio!

Yeah but come on ... San Antonio Texas ... AC is almost required in November ... it goes out on gameday and is not correctable?

AT&T Center (I stand corrected) people need to get their stuff together!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back