• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Maryland and Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are sick and tired of cold weather. I'm in the professional recruiting business and these numbers directly reflect what we hear from potential candidates. This trend will continue.

However, I have never believed the notion that warm weather states have better athletes. I think there are just as many good athletes in the North. Just a matter of keeping them in the the North. Refer back to my first sentence.

I don't know if there are as many good athletes in the North. I do still think there are a lot. But less than there once was, due to the population shift. And yes, keeping them in the North is another story.

There was a time when this country largely revolved around the family farms. All throughout the Midwest. This kept those kids close to home. But as family farms have become less and less (more large, corporate entities), families have found less reason to remain North to deal with the harsher winters.

The demographic trends are an overstated reason for SEC dominance. The same trends were apparent in the '90s and '00s, and Nebraska managed to be pretty competitive. TOSU and Michigan picked up titles as well. There is plenty of talent to go around. Texas alone produces an average of 170 FBS athletes every year. They can't all go to Texas.

It all comes down to coaching and QB play. The SEC got better when the coaching got better (eg, Saban, Miles, Spurrier). The elite teams had the benefit of quality QB play (eg, McCarron, Murray, Flynn). It's no real mystery as to why FSU has re-emerged - they finally found a QB in Winston. Ditto Texas A&M with Manziel. Ditto Auburn with Cam Newton. Ditto Texas with V. Young and McCoy.

Agree...all of which comes down to recruiting. I always kind of laugh when a northern school signs a player from the state of Florida and then everyone instantly thinks this kid is going to be great (simply because he came from the south). Most of the time if a northern school gets a player from the south, its because the southern schools didn't want him. There are exceptions like (Tommie Frazier, etc...). But there are alot of good football players in the north, the B1G just needs to keep them here. Braxton Miller for example is a dynamic athlete...he grew up in Dayton, Ohio. Lebron James is a dynamic athlete...he grew up in Akron, Ohio...etc, etc, etc...

Last edited:
The demographic trends are an overstated reason for SEC dominance. The same trends were apparent in the '90s and '00s, and Nebraska managed to be pretty competitive. TOSU and Michigan picked up titles as well. There is plenty of talent to go around. Texas alone produces an average of 170 FBS athletes every year. They can't all go to Texas.

It all comes down to coaching and QB play. The SEC got better when the coaching got better (eg, Saban, Miles, Spurrier). The elite teams had the benefit of quality QB play (eg, McCarron, Murray, Flynn). It's no real mystery as to why FSU has re-emerged - they finally found a QB in Winston. Ditto Texas A&M with Manziel. Ditto Auburn with Cam Newton. Ditto Texas with V. Young and McCoy.

Trends like this do not have an immediate impact; there is always a lag in such long-term effects. The trend on the map I showed is a 40-year trend. It wasn't like all of a sudden Florida tripled in population. And it also took having the teams in the South improve enough to convince the kids to stay close to home. Slowly over decades they gained more athletes locally. Slowly they improved as a whole. And now that they are at a high level -- and the population is already in place -- it's going to be much more difficult to change that trend the other direction. Be certain, the population shift is a huge reason for the shift in college football powers.

Moving to the Western division was the best thing that ever happened to Nebraska since joining the Big 10. You'll still get the marquee match-ups with the cross over games.

We've been over this ground before. We play Michigan and PSU once each in the next 6 years. Neither team will be visiting Lincoln again this decade. Prior to expansion, we'd have 12 games with those teams in the same time frame. It's the worst thing to happen to NU since the OU rivalry ended.

We've been over this ground before. We play Michigan and PSU once each in the next 6 years. Neither team will be visiting Lincoln again this decade. Prior to expansion, we'd have 12 games with those teams in the same time frame. It's the worst thing to happen to NU since the OU rivalry ended.

Absolutely agree.

Both going down in bowl games.

I guess they are a perfect fit for B1G!

B1G = Washington Generals of college football!!

:rolleyes:

I get the vibe that Maryland will not stay for long in the B1G. There is already a ton of second guessing going on in the state of Maryland that they should have never left the ACC. Coach K was talking on the radio over the summer and made several statements that led me to believe that he doesn't believe Maryland's move to the B1G will be permanent.

Trends like this do not have an immediate impact; there is always a lag in such long-term effects. The trend on the map I showed is a 40-year trend. It wasn't like all of a sudden Florida tripled in population. And it also took having the teams in the South improve enough to convince the kids to stay close to home. Slowly over decades they gained more athletes locally. Slowly they improved as a whole. And now that they are at a high level -- and the population is already in place -- it's going to be much more difficult to change that trend the other direction. Be certain, the population shift is a huge reason for the shift in college football powers.

Agreed. I didn't argue it was immediate. NU's dominance happened 25 years after the demographic shift began. How? Tom Osborne and Tommie Frazier. I'm not suggesting that demographics aren't a challenge. They have been for a long time. I just think it's overstated. Coaching and QB play are bigger reasons why one team succeeds and another fails than population trends. Just ask Texas.

Agreed. I didn't argue it was immediate. NU's dominance happened 25 years after the demographic shift began. How? Tom Osborne and Tommie Frazier. I'm not suggesting that demographics aren't a challenge. They have been for a long time. I just think it's overstated. Coaching and QB play are bigger reasons why one team succeeds and another fails than population trends. Just ask Texas.

Or Ohio State. While they fell short this season, they were still in the national mix, and likely will be most seasons (or at least as long as Urban is drawing in recruits). There will always be exceptions to the rule. And so there is always opportunity -- even for a team like Nebraska. But outside of the occasional school that is the exception, I think the landscape as a whole has changed -- and for the most part, permanently -- with the trend being South.

I think in time you will see that it was a good thing. It definitely paves a more managable path to the Big 10 title game...which pays huge dividends. To me its more about where you finish than just a few great regular season match-ups. I think being in the West gives us a better chance for that. Not to mention it is easier on fans traveling to and from away games.

Last edited:
I get the vibe that Maryland will not stay for long in the B1G. There is already a ton of second guessing going on in the state of Maryland that they should have never left the ACC. Coach K was talking on the radio over the summer and made several statements that led me to believe that he doesn't believe Maryland's move to the B1G will be permanent.

In the end, money rules the day. So long as Maryland has a significantly higher revenue by being a part of the Big Ten, it's probably in their best interest to stay. I cannot imagine them returning to the ACC. Now, if and when the day comes that conferences continue to merge and grow, they may very well leave. But the ACC as it is now, I don't see it. I guess we'll see. :)

Out of curiosity, I checked the academic ratings by conference.... http://collegespun.com/national/whi...onferences-has-the-best-schools-academically#

Don't buy it. What Nebraska needs are heated rivalries, not big name match-ups with teams that aren't necessarily better than the team's we do play.

Tell me honestly how either PSU or Michigan are better potential series than Wisconsin, MSU, or Ohio State.

Or Ohio State. While they fell short this season, they were still in the national mix, and likely will be most seasons (or at least as long as Urban is drawing in recruits). There will always be exceptions to the rule. And so there is always opportunity -- even for a team like Nebraska. But outside of the occasional school that is the exception, I think the landscape as a whole has changed -- and for the most part, permanently -- with the trend being South.

Time will tell. I remain in the camp that believes there is plenty of talent to go around and that Nebraska has the resources to compete with the southern teams.

One thing I'd like to see to level the playing field a bit is unlimited official visits. If I were in BP, SE or HP's shoes, I'd be screaming bloody murder about this inequity at every opportunity. If you are in a population center, you could have 100 kids making unofficial visits to campus on any given weekend. Teams in the sticks should be afforded the same opportunity to show what they have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back