• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tim Beck's Salary

• Thread starter Deleted member 3561
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3561

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/12/12/tim-becks-700000-salary-third-highest-in-big-ten-no-11-overall/

In my opinion, Tim Beck is clearly overpaid since he's the third (and extremely close to second) highest paid assistant in the Big Ten and Nebraska finished 6th in total offense in the Big Ten. Moreover, his offeneses have led the Big Ten in give aways two years in a row now. You can argue injuries all you want, but it is his job to develop depth. I think Pelini jumped the gun on Beck's monstrous pay raise, and now we're likely stuck with him for a while since no one else will pay him more, and Bo won't fire his buddy. I'm not suggesting we should fire him. I am just saying he'll be here for a while given his boss' loyalty and the market's appetite for him.

We were 2nd in total offense last year, suppose anything had to do with mass injuries on offense?

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I do think the 6th place offense this year had far more to do with losing so many players to injury, and before you bring up depth again, let's remember the difference between a three-year starter at a position and a redshirt freshman.

I love the "stuck with him" comment. You're stuck with him because you don't like him. I think he's a pretty good OC, based on his offenses of 2012 and 2011 to a lesser extent. I look forward to his continued improvement at calling the plays.

Blaming the OC for fumbles is about as nonsensical as blaming the HC for the fumbles.

Wasn't there just a Beck thread a couple days ago? History repeats again.
Combat a "hater" in that one? LOL

Slice it anyway you want, a "great" OC (which is what Beck's salary would indicate he is) should know what his players can and cannot do, should stick with what's working (usually the run game), shouldn't consistently call plays that aren't working simply because "the numbers call for them", and shouldn't be so quick to give up the run a certain points in the game.

I don't think that it's unreasonable to surmise that our style of offense and the manner in which it's taught may have some connection to the turnover problem. Beck has admitted publicly that our offense is a bit high risk, high reward. A bit too much risk if you ask me.

blaming the OC for fumbles is about as nonsensical as blaming the HC for the fumbles.
I agree it's stupid to blame the oc for one fumble, but when you lead the big ten in turnovers two years in a row... That's coaching. Martinez also led the nation in fumbles his freshman, sophomore , and junior year. There's something wrong with ball security on this team

Agree that ball security is a major, recurring problem for this team. And that's coaching. As for Beck, IMO, he should have realized this, and tailored his offense to minimize turnovers.

Agree that ball security is a major, recurring problem for this team. And that's coaching. As for Beck, IMO, he should have realized this, and tailored his offense to minimize turnovers.

While I'm not a huge fan of Beck, I don't really know how you "tailor his offense to minimize turnovers". How does one do that? Do you go conservative and just run the ball all the time? That wouldn't work, as Abdullah is a first rate culprit. Do you pass more? That wouldn't work, as the receivers all had fumbling issues this season. Turnovers can only be controlled by coaches, to the extent the coaches bench the one's fumbling and bring in guys until they find guys who will secure the ball. However, you then risk bringing in a guy who might not fumble, but might not run as well as Abdullah, or catch as well as Bell. There's no exact science to minimizing turnovers in my opinion. Turnovers were prevalent on Osborne teams as well. Most of the time, our defense was able to mask said turnovers by forcing a team to go 3 and out or just not give up points on those turnovers. The key to minimizing turnovers is to create a defense that gets the ball back quickly when we do turn it over and not give up points off of those turnovers.

Definitions of 'prevalent' [prev-uh-luhnt]
Dictionary.com - (Showing 1 definitions)

adjective
1. widespread; general

TO turnover's from '95 thru '97

'95 - 15 (1.25 a game)
'96 - 22 (1.7 a game)
'97 - 21 (1.6 a game)

I don't think that it's unreasonable to surmise that our style of offense and the manner in which it's taught may have some connection to the turnover problem. Beck has admitted publicly that our offense is a bit high risk, high reward. A bit too much risk if you ask me.
It was this past season, for certain.

While I'm not a huge fan of Beck, I don't really know how you "tailor his offense to minimize turnovers". How does one do that? Do you go conservative and just run the ball all the time? That wouldn't work, as Abdullah is a first rate culprit. Do you pass more? That wouldn't work, as the receivers all had fumbling issues this season. Turnovers can only be controlled by coaches, to the extent the coaches bench the one's fumbling and bring in guys until they find guys who will secure the ball. However, you then risk bringing in a guy who might not fumble, but might not run as well as Abdullah, or catch as well as Bell. There's no exact science to minimizing turnovers in my opinion. Turnovers were prevalent on Osborne teams as well. Most of the time, our defense was able to mask said turnovers by forcing a team to go 3 and out or just not give up points on those turnovers. The key to minimizing turnovers is to create a defense that gets the ball back quickly when we do turn it over and not give up points off of those turnovers.
Taking a player out is always a double-edged sword. Take out Ameer and you're left with Cross or Newby. I'd rather have Ameer.

Take out Bell and you're left with Burtch. I'd rather have Bell.

Same thing at QB. Given my options I'd rather have the best play-maker out on the field, and I don't care how small his hands are.

Coaches can only do so much to redirect issues on the team before they are actually hurting the team. As you put it, there is no exact science. Where you get conservative, you take away the big play ability of your dynamic players. Where you try to open it up, you raise the % of mistakes made, especially by young and inexperienced players.

The coaches can do drill after drill on ball security but it is truly up to the player to understand his duties and the importance of every detail of his job. Pain causes a person to redirect his steps. The coaches can't just keep benching players when they drop balls or fumble it. That would mean Martinez, Abdullah, Eunuwa, Carter, and a couple others would be sitting on the sideline is many of the games. But in the same since, you don't want to continue to give the ball away.

This is where the team has to come together and change it. Hold each other accountable for mistakes in practice and in the game. I see "cute" little hand shakes by the RBs after every score by one of them. (Newby/Abdullah have a different one from Abdullah/Cross. Cross/Newby have a different one from Abdullah/Cross. Etc..) When I played, certain issues were greet with some "non PG" language and attitude. Especially if it is a reoccurring issue. Some players will never since the urgency of a situation if they can fumble once a game and run back to the sideline with his teammates slapping him on the ass saying "we'll get it next time". I had no problem getting in the face of my running back on the sideline if he was treating every other carry like it was the day before Christmas. Accountability has to be met with urgency and a since of fear. Not fear of being hurt, but fear of letting your brothers down. Fear of looking them in the face if week in and week out, you are making the same mistakes that's keeping the team from reaching a goal. The coach can only tell a team to do so much. After a while the team needs to address it's own demons and put their foot in a not so comfortable place of that demon.

I'm tired of seeing the risk. ready to watch the reward part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back