• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What will Michigan State do on offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If they are smart, they will do like Minnesota did...go to school on the 2012 CCG and find the best ways to incorporate THAT into their offense. Michigan failed to learn the Wisconsin or Minnesota lesson, perhaps because guys that think they are geniuses/experts often refuse to learn from others.

If they are smart, they will do like Minnesota did...go to school on the 2012 CCG and find the best ways to incorporate THAT into their offense. Michigan failed to learn the Wisconsin or Minnesota lesson, perhaps because guys that think they are geniuses/experts often refuse to learn from others.

I wouldnt be shocked in the slightest if they do that.

I think some coordiantors get caught up in their way of doing things that they want to maintain that and not adopt something else. MSUs track record against us in the last couple years hasnt gone all that well for them. I think we match up very well with them and create more headaches than possibilities. Plus, they now have video from last week that shows our ablity to stuff what has plagued us. Michigan tried the jet sweep several times, and it worked effectively once. Every other time it was stuffed. They also tried motion out of the backfield, that was stuffed. All in all, if we come with every intention on pressuring the QB, I really like our chances. If we sit back and only bring 4. I worry about another Minnesota type game.

Hopefully punt...a lot.

i hope they bring whatever they've brought thus far against NU, because we chew it up and spit it out...historically speaking.

Very well said....

I wouldnt be shocked in the slightest if they do that.

I think some coordiantors get caught up in their way of doing things that they want to maintain that and not adopt something else. MSUs track record against us in the last couple years hasnt gone all that well for them. I think we match up very well with them and create more headaches than possibilities. Plus, they now have video from last week that shows our ablity to stuff what has plagued us. Michigan tried the jet sweep several times, and it worked effectively once. Every other time it was stuffed. They also tried motion out of the backfield, that was stuffed. All in all, if we come with every intention on pressuring the QB, I really like our chances. If we sit back and only bring 4. I worry about another Minnesota type game.

I don't think it's so much that an OC stubbornly refuses to attack a defenses perceived vulnerability. It just has to be done within the system that the OC as adapted for the strengths of his team.

That being said, if a team is pass-oriented, they often are not very good at short-yardage situations (power-running). And vice-versa.

If I was an OC, I would certainly try to put in a package or two to attack a defenses perceived vulnerabilities. Power plays seem to be basic football, to me, not that complicated of blocking schemes. I would think most teams would have that in their arsenal.

MSU's QB, Connor Cook, is throwing for close to 60% on about 30 attempts per game, averaging 6.5 yards per completion, with 13 TDs, 3 INTs and 6 sacks on the season. He doesn't run.

Their top RB, Jeremy Langford, is averaging 4.6 yards per carry on about 20-25 carries per game, and has over 100 yards in the last four games (775 on the season).

MSU doesn't appear to have any homerun hitters on offense. Their MO on offense seems to be conservative plays and limiting mistakes (6 fumbles, 4 ints., good for #26) They're not super productive (60th scoring with 29.8) but with their defense they don't need to be.

If I were MSU, after seeing NU has apparently figured out how to play defense against the run, I think I would try to add a little of the Texas 2010 plan and get the QB some designed runs and scrambles to stress NU's secondary. I'm not sure they have the personnel to try the jet motion or any of that stuff wide.

But they don't need to do anything too crazy if their defense holds up. I expect a couple small wrinkles, but otherwise I think they'll stick with what they do and rely on their defense to keep the game close and wait for our offense or special teams to make a mistake.

Last edited:

There are good reasons why their offense is ranked 87th in the nation!! If they expect to win I think their offense is going to have to play better then they have most of the season. They have a very good D........ on paper! I don't think they've played anyone so far this season with an offense as good as ours! Going to be a very interesting game................

Hopefully punt...a lot.

i hope they bring whatever they've brought thus far against NU, because we chew it up and spit it out...historically speaking.

Our punt return unit is so bad that I actually hope we lure them into multiple 4th and 1 situations and stuff them when they go for it. Or hopefully they pass a lot because we have more yardage this year on interception returns than we do on punt returns.

If they are paying attention to Nebraska's sudden ten fold increase in blitzes, they'll run more screens and draws than either Northwestern or Michigan did. Crossing patterns from the slot and wide outs. Seam routes by the TE. If they can run the ball with any effectiveness, play action will add another layer of opportunity. I like some of the adjustments in pre snap positioning/rotation and responsibilities the Huskers have come up with for the DB's, but for everything you take away....you leave something open. Can MSU pick the right poison is the bigger question.

MSU's QB, Connor Cook, is throwing for close to 60% on about 30 attempts per game, averaging 6.5 yards per completion, with 13 TDs, 3 INTs and 6 sacks on the season. He doesn't run.

Their top RB, Jeremy Langford, is averaging 4.6 yards per carry on about 20-25 carries per game, and has over 100 yards in the last four games (775 on the season).

MSU doesn't appear to have any homerun hitters on offense. Their MO on offense seems to be conservative plays and limiting mistakes (6 fumbles, 4 ints., good for #26) They're not super productive (60th scoring with 29.8) but with their defense they don't need to be.

If I were MSU, after seeing NU has apparently figured out how to play defense against the run, I think I would try to add a little of the Texas 2010 plan and get the QB some designed runs and scrambles to stress NU's secondary. I'm not sure they have the personnel to try the jet motion or any of that stuff wide.

But they don't need to do anything too crazy if their defense holds up. I expect a couple small wrinkles, but otherwise I think they'll stick with what they do and rely on their defense to keep the game close and wait for our offense or special teams to make a mistake.

Good post. Very possible this game comes down to field position and special teams play. If our defense plays well, we should be able to limit their offense. I'd like to think Tommy Armstrong and our offense will be able to dent their defense, despite their record this year. However, the wild card for our offense will be how well our offensive line plays.

Here are a couple of mLive writers' thoughts on how MSU should attack when on offense. In a nutshell: play well, run the QB a little, throw downfield to challenge NU's man coverage, and utilize the TEs.

MIKE GRIFFITH

It's the moment of truth for Cook, who was selected as the starting QB largely because of his mobility. With Nebraska playing so much man-to-man defense, Cook will likely need to be more than just a game manager, and he'll have opportunities to run for yardage in chunks should he be able to recognize his opportunities and be willing to take off afoot.

Michigan State's receivers will need to show they can win one-on-one battles, because Cook has erred on the side of caution when it comes to throwing into difficult coverage situation.

Further, Michigan State's run game will be challenged to show it can move a sturdy front seven and keep Cook in advantageous down-and-distance situations and bring the play-action pass into effect.

Finally, the Spartans' tight ends have shown signs of emergence, and they could create some mismatches.

DIAMOND LEUNG

With Nebraska daring Cook to make throws down the field, accuracy will be important as will the receivers getting separation. At times, neither has been there.

So that means being a bit creative. As Mike mentioned, the tight ends could help or Michigan State could use R.J. Shelton on short routes as well.

It's just a matter of keeping the Cornhuskers off balance, as they've shown earlier in the season that their defense can be successfully attacked.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/11/spartans_issue_of_the_week_how_8.html

Last edited:

I hope they aren't spending much time working on that fool proof "jet-sweep" play. That play is incredibly hard to adjust to, or make tackles against. Why don't we run it? Treat those other teams with some of that offensive wizardry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back