• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev says $15-20 million per year for player salaries

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
That's just for starters. How many universities are going to play this new game of pro ball? Interesting times. I'm guessing he could see the handwriting on the wall in Lincoln. A&M can spend into oblivion and never miss it.

Last edited:

That's just for starters. How many universities are going to play this new game of pro ball? Interesting times. I'm guessing he could see the handwriting on the wall in Lincoln. A&M can spend into oblivion and never miss it.

Probably a pretty good guess. Trev looking ahead and trying to lead to the future and getting push-back from university administration. Hope Dannen picks up that mantle and gets NU ready for the coming major changes.

Do these salaries include the full boat schollie, rent and food etc?
I would think so, as any employer would do so. And is this only for schollie players?

Not that I am defending Alberts, but Rhule was saying the same thing the other day iirc (himself quoting Trev). Wild times for colleges that are going to break a lot of banks, and shudder other programs. GBR
Rhule knows what's coming. He's dropped hints again and again. Wants an elite program. AD must be forward thinker, a doer. If the university can't/won't commit to and pay for the future of college athletics, say goodbye to Rhule and relevancy. Rumblings of kicking teams out of conferences if they don't draw viewership/dollars. Hello/goodbye Rutgers, Maryland. Nebraska?

Rhule knows what's coming. He's dropped hints again and again. Wants an elite program. AD must be forward thinker, a doer. If the university can't/won't commit to and pay for the future of college athletics, say goodbye to Rhule and relevancy. Rumblings of kicking teams out of conferences if they don't draw viewership/dollars. Hello/goodbye Rutgers, Maryland. Nebraska?
I know teams like Iowa are on the fence. Hopefully this doesn't come to a quick have have not scenario.
SEC and the big twelve will get decimated as well as much of the Big.

If college football becomes NFL lite, which appears to be where this is headed, the changes will be enormous.

I honestly wonder what the point of college football will be once this happens. The NFL might as well get involved and just recruit out of high schools. That or buy up the college teams as their minor leagues.

How ever this evolves, one thing is for certain. Season ticket holders and single ticket purchasers will get every dollar squeezed from their pockets. Food prices will go up even higher, playoff and championship tickets will be unaffordable for most. It's going to take a lot of money to feed this new beast so fans better be ready to fork it over.

Last edited:
I know teams like Iowa are on the fence. Hopefully this doesn't come to a quick have have not scenario.

Agree. There are only a few programs that can play this game long term. Probably count them on 2 hands and have a finger or two left over?

Last edited:

If college football becomes NFL lite, which appears to be where this is headed, the changes will be enormous.

I honestly wonder what the point of college football will be once this happens. The NFL might as well get involved and just recruit out of high schools. That or buy up the college teams as their minor leagues.

How ever this evolves, one thing is for certain. Season ticket holders and single ticket purchasers will get every dollar squeezed from their pockets. Food prices will go up even higher, playoff and championship tickets will be unaffordable for most. It's going to take a lot of money to feed this new beast so fans better be ready to fork it over.

I can almost hear the bubble burst now. Hopefully Trev didn't leave because the UNL admin was opposed to the idea of revenue sharing. The courts are leaning toward making this a reality and the NCAA is powerless to stop it. NU is likely one of the few small schools (in terms of enrollment) that will survive. The KSU's of the world likely won't be able to compete financially.

I can almost hear the bubble burst now. Hopefully Trev didn't leave because the UNL admin was opposed to the idea of revenue sharing. The courts are leaning toward making this a reality and the NCAA is powerless to stop it. NU is likely one of the few small schools (in terms of enrollment) that will survive. The KSU's of the world likely won't be able to compete financially.

I wonder how long Nebraska can survive because we all know this is just the beginning. Player bidding only escalates from here and we aren't a big state.

Some schools will either have to drop football completely or split into leagues for the haves and have nots.

Last edited:

Not to derail the thread, cause "who cares about Iowa", but isn't their athletic department in the hole with money? Or was that just during COVID as BIG10 money should have gotten them out of that jam by now "mshrug:. GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back