• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Riley: Parrella's impact on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costa Rica Red

Scout Team
5 Year Member
"John Parrella is still only four game into his Nebraska coaching career, but he’s already won over the Husker fan base for his work both on the field coaching the defensive line and on the recruiting trail.

The first-year NU assistant was the lead recruiter on defensive tackle commits Deontre Thomas and Deiontae Watts and defensive end commits Robert Porcher and Guy Thomas.

He’s also working on defensive line prospects Damion Daniels, Tyler Shelvin, Ben Hutch, Andrew Van Ginkle, and Martin Andrus, all of which either have or are planning on taking official visits to Lincoln.

'I think he’s one of those guys who’s hard to say no to,' Riley said. 'He works at it real hard, but there’s a special uniqueness that you guys already know because of of his background at Nebraska that he brings that is special. There’s a passion that he brings to his recruitment."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/monday-notebook-offensive-line-injuries-a-growing-concern

“I think he first of all believes in Nebraska, and so he recruits to that well. But I also think that he believes in what we’re doing. So he can combine that real well as he recruits. It’s a great combination that he brings.”

I read those arguments that he didn't have experience but then watched that tape of him talking to high school players in a gym and it was clear to me his personality and communication ability would make it work. We were fortunate such a complete package was sitting there basically under-employed and then that he was former Nebraska? That's ridiculous. Smart hire by Riley.

Last edited:

Yep all the folks that were harping on the, "he has never recruited D1" are sort of looking silly now huh?

It was a fair question and legitimate concern since he had done neither at this level. I certainly don't feel silly for having asked the question and have no problem saying, great hire! I didn't question MR's decision to hire him as much as just wonder and ask if JP could do those things well. He's answered that question hands down and I couldn't be more thrilled.

It was a fair question and legitimate concern since he had done neither at this level. I certainly don't feel silly for having asked the question and have no problem saying, great hire! I didn't question MR's decision to hire him as much as just wonder and ask if JP could do those things well. He's answered that question hands down and I couldn't be more thrilled.
My recollection of your concerns was that they were much like this post. So this post is not necessarily directed at you. There were others however that went much further. Saying MR was a fool for hiring someone without D1 recruiting experience. Or that he was only hired to give MR some husker cred and we should hire the best guy not just because he is from NE. those are the people I was addressing.

I think we all agree that Parrella has proven in a short time to be a great get by MR. teaching players proper technique and how to play as a Black Shirt. Icing on the cake is recruiting like a madman.

I get why people questioned whether he could do things on the D1 level...it's a natural question to ask if someone doesn't have the ability. It's possible that Riley might have had some of those same questions before the interview. However, I think we are all seeing why Mike Riley was blown away by Parrella during the interview process. His work ethic in coaching his players and in recruiting as well as his passion for coaching and for Nebraska are blowing away the rest of us.

My recollection of your concerns was that they were much like this post. So this post is not necessarily directed at you. There were others however that went much further. Saying MR was a fool for hiring someone without D1 recruiting experience. Or that he was only hired to give MR some husker cred and we should hire the best guy not just because he is from NE. those are the people I was addressing.

Fair enough.

I get why people questioned whether he could do things on the D1 level...it's a natural question to ask if someone doesn't have the ability. It's possible that Riley might have had some of those same questions before the interview. However, I think we are all seeing why Mike Riley was blown away by Parrella during the interview process. His work ethic in coaching his players and in recruiting as well as his passion for coaching and for Nebraska are blowing away the rest of us.

Agree, it's great having a link to the past on staff (albeit, not a requirement). I think it goes a long way in instilling passion in the players the way it once was. That's been missing since '03 IMO.

Agree, it's great having a link to the past on staff (albeit, not a requirement). I think it goes a long way in instilling passion in the players the way it once was. That's been missing since '03 IMO.
And with Parrella, none of this is forced; it's all completely genuine. He appears to be a "What you see is what you are going to get" kind of guy. He comes in at a time when NU was needing the spark on the d-line. Perfect timing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back