• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Talent?

I'm not trolling. I'm saying, we need NFL talent. I already said this is not a Rhule critique, he's barely been here. What I think is clear by my post is we've had a really bad trend when it comes to draft picks which directly relates to what we've seen on the field. I guess I'm just stating the obvious but I thought it was interesting to see that decline in NFL talent.
I am 100% with you and have been saying the same thing for a long time now. Pelini towards the end was barely putting anyone in the league. Riley and Frost were both disasters. Hardly any of the kids they recruited became better football players by the time they left. What good is the #19 recruiting class if you whiff on half of them and the rest hardly get better after 3 or 4 years? The “but there’s talent on the roster” statement is a joke. No there isn’t.

Rhule appears to have got some good kids in here that fit his system. As a staff, they are serious about development. We are going to start seeing this unfold in the next year or two. I suspect we will start getting more kids drafted. You have to have Sunday players at each level of your defense if you want to be a really good football team. You also have to have Sunday players on your line.

Rhule will turns things around and we will have multiple players drafted in future years. Rhule and his coaching staff have players staying for another season when they could have entered the draft! This speaks volumes for the culture and confidence in their coaching and trust! GBR

While its been true we have had better overall talent, our best is usually lower in numbers than our opponents.
Fix that, then also fit better. Don't square peg round hole, put players in positions to win. Use that better talent instead of nullifying it.
Plus, don't be stupid. Don't work the athleticism out of your players.

Learn to hit and be hit, its likely as safe or safer, and sure beats just taking the joy out of the game through over preparation which involves little growth and little coaching.

Other teams have been played smarter than us in the past and is why we've lost. Sure, we beat the bad coaches, not so great with good ones.

We are way ahead of the curve on our past failures imo

You could also argue the roster has been mismanaged, for a long while. I don’t believe one team can consistently underperform its recruiting ranking. Name one other school who usually recruits top 20, but preforms like they have the 80th ranked classes? There isn’t one. That tells me, in many cases, over the years, many players have been wasted, for a variety of reasons. A good portion never reached their potential.
Some left. Some didn’t develop. Player development has been poor for some time previous to Rhule. In prior stops, Rhule’s player development has been pretty good. Let’s see how well he develops his recruits. I suspect Hutmacher, Ty Robinson and Benhart to all get drafted along with Tommi Hill and maybe another one or two guys. All of those guys could have come out this year and most would have been drafted.

Last edited:
Some left. Some didn’t develop. Player development has been poor for some time previous to Rhule. It prior stops, Rhule’s player development has been pretty good. Let’s see how well he develops his recruits. I suspect Hutmacher, Ty Robinson and Benhart to all get drafted along with Tommi Hill and maybe another one or two guys. All of those guys could have come out this year and most would have been drafted.
Which is the core of the eight I mentioned earlier, plus a few others that are MR guys, but too Young yet.

Some left. Some didn’t develop. Player development has been poor for some time previous to Rhule. In prior stops, Rhule’s player development has been pretty good. Let’s see how well he develops his recruits. I suspect Hutmacher, Ty Robinson and Benhart to all get drafted along with Tommi Hill and maybe another one or two guys. All of those guys could have come out this year and most would have been drafted.
Should be a handful one year from no, barring unforeseen things that could always arise.

I'm not trolling. I'm saying, we need NFL talent. I already said this is not a Rhule critique, he's barely been here. What I think is clear by my post is we've had a really bad trend when it comes to draft picks which directly relates to what we've seen on the field. I guess I'm just stating the obvious but I thought it was interesting to see that decline in NFL talent.
I agree that there is definitely a correlation between NUs success and our total draft picks, but including Rhule on this list seems bizarre to the point that trolling seems like the simplest answer. If you posted this *after* the 2024 draft, I could at least understand the sentiment, but the man hasn't even had his first draft yet.

I agree that there is definitely a correlation between NUs success and our total draft picks, but including Rhule on this list seems bizarre to the point that trolling seems like the simplest answer. If you posted this *after* the 2024 draft, I could at least understand the sentiment, but the man hasn't even had his first draft yet.
It’s the number of players drafted after each season, organized by the person who coached them their final year in college. Those are points of demarcation, representing a trend. It says more about the previous staff than the current staff.

It’s the number of players drafted after each season, organized by the person who coached them their final year in college. Those are points of demarcation, representing a trend. It says more about the previous staff than the current staff.
The appropriate way to do this would be to start counting draft picks *after* a coach has actually completed a season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back