• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Talent?

Nightman Cometh

Recruit
5 Year Member
Rhule recently said you can tell where a program is by the number of draft picks. I’ve been making that point for years and the pushback is always, look at our recruiting rankings, we have talent. It is clear, we have been extremely undermanned for many years.

I look at this team and I have to ask, do we have NFL talent?

Solich 25 players drafted Avg 5/yr

Callahan 15 players drafted Avg 3.75/yr

Pelini – 25 players drafted. Avg 3.57/yr

Riley – 6 players drafted. Avg 2/yr

Frost – 9 players drafted. Avg 1.8/yr

Rhule – 0 players drafted. Avg 0/yr

Rhule recently said you can tell where a program is by the number of draft picks. I’ve been making that point for years and the pushback is always, look at our recruiting rankings, we have talent. It is clear, we have been extremely undermanned for many years.

Several guys stayed to MR's credit who might have been drafted. But let's let him start getting his recruits drafted first.

You could also argue the roster has been mismanaged, for a long while. I don’t believe one team can consistently underperform its recruiting ranking. Name one other school who usually recruits top 20, but preforms like they have the 80th ranked classes? There isn’t one. That tells me, in many cases, over the years, many players have been wasted, for a variety of reasons. A good portion never reached their potential.

I think you’ll see 4-5+ drafted in the next cycle, 2025. We’ll see. it’s going to uptick from here on out. Rhule knows what he is doing. As soon as the wins come (this year), the recruiting rankings will rise. This program is about to get hot, as it’s long overdue for some favor. Just my own view, barring something unforeseen.

Several guys stayed to MR's credit who might have been drafted. But let's let him start getting his recruits drafted first.
To be clear. I’m not posting this as a Rhule critique. Heck, the guy agreed with me! What I am saying is until we have a team where 3-4 guys are getting drafted every year I’m not going to be predicting 10 win seasons.

To be clear. I’m not posting this as a Rhule critique. Heck, the guy agreed with me! What I am saying is until we have a team where 3-4 guys are getting drafted every year I’m not going to be predicting 10 win seasons.
I always looked at the Big list, who made the team.
Some honorable mentioned made it, most 3rd stringers did, almost all second string and all first did.
They did a breakdown on hail varsity years ago on this, I just expanded it some for my usage.
While of course nothing is ever exact, I can see us having as much as or more than Frank under MR.
Best developer we've had, as good as or best recruiter talent decisions and overall best recruiter in getting guys imo.

How many drafts has Rhule been a Husker coach for, again?

I see eight guys right now, possibly more. Or some that are close might be overtaken by others on the team still making it eight.
Now all that isn't necessarily this coming draft either.

I'm not trolling. I'm saying, we need NFL talent. I already said this is not a Rhule critique, he's barely been here. What I think is clear by my post is we've had a really bad trend when it comes to draft picks which directly relates to what we've seen on the field. I guess I'm just stating the obvious but I thought it was interesting to see that decline in NFL talent.

I'm not trolling. I'm saying, we need NFL talent. I already said this is not a Rhule critique, he's barely been here. What I think is clear by my post is we've had a really bad trend when it comes to draft picks which directly relates to what we've seen on the field. I guess I'm just stating the obvious but I thought it was interesting to see that decline in NFL talent.
A few things. Coaching turnover, and that starts at the top. What I mean by this is, have our head coaches really put together good staffs, especially as they change, whats the standard?
Then there's SnC, huge, and I believe we have an excellent one currently, wouldn't say thats been consistent either prior to now.
Finally, there's recruiting the right players, not athletes, but players. You want self starters, guys who're taking care of business whether there's a practice or not. This comes down to loving the game and loving competition.
We didn't have a lot of that previously either.
Along with the above comes development. If you don't have the above you're too far from a finished product continually. Getting players to coach players contains all the above, and the coaches can then fine tune the players.
The best examples I can think of are under TO, our wrs rarely dropped passes but were the best at blocking. Same for the O line, us a run team rarely giving up a sack.

You are right, facts are facts. Fact, there have been exactly 0 drafts since Rhule coached his first game for us.
Well, I suppose that explains our struggles both last year and the years before Rhule got here. But isn’t it a little early to be criticizing Rhule for no draft picks when the draft hasn’t occurred yet?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back