• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB GAME #30 (3/3)(20-9)(10-8) Nebraska vs (15-13)(7-10) Rutgers @ SOLD OUT PBA (Senior day) 5:30 PM CT BTN GAME THREAD

Nebraska didnt miss any open shots?

did Nebraska defense force the situation where the Rutgers player had to scramble to save the ball from going out of bounds?

Lol
The real question on luck is. Was Nebraska lucky or was Rutgers unlucky? ;)

I'd say a team that was good enough to beat Wisc and NW but lost to NU, who was having an off night shooting, was an unlucky team. Then again, maybe NU is better than Wisc or NW and that's why they won while the other lost, and luck or being unlucky had nothing to do with it.

Sure, don't disagree at all, but when that team has open shots, that are close to the bucket, yet still don't fall, there is luck involved.. That is what chance is, luck.

about the defense, luck and defense are not exclusive.. Defense can still be outstanding, yet still have luck to win. Like I mentioned above, defense doesn't come into play when you have uncontested shots around the hoop that don't fall, that normally do.
I don't know why you attribute poor shooting or good shooting to luck? Form, mechanics, fundamentals and that key mental ingredient; confidence are the real factors in shooting well or not. I had a roommate who was a really good shooter, but had a nightmare game down in Missouri one night. He knew himself well enough to go and watch the film the next day before we played our next opponent, and sure enough, it showed his hand placement and angle of his elbow were just a little off. That was a mechanics issue. We've also seen it a million times when guys are struggling at the line, only that is nearly always a problem between the ears.

And on those crazy plays that the defense is incredible, and a guy hits some falling out of bounds prayer, that is at most a couple of possessions a game, that isn't going to change the outcome if I'm playing defense, rebounding and hustling at a higher level than my opponent. When a player chases down a ball and without looking, heaves it over his head to someone standing alone under the basket, was that luck? Probably a little, but why was the guy standing alone under the basket?

Last edited:

3. The Conclusion

My main takeaway from this is that luck really does matter. Of course, it isn’t as important as having a good team or performing well, but it can definitely impact a team’s performance a lot more than you might think. There are plenty of external factors that can affect your team’s luck as well, such as what referee or umpire shows up to your game, a certain type of weather that might hurt your performance or a fluke injury.

You cited Rutgers missing easy shots as lucky for Nebraska, but when Nebraska went 6 minutes without scoring a basket, that wasn't lucky for Rutgers......
For some reason every time I see a post on this subject I think of this.

s-l1600.jpg

You only see it going one direction
That is how it works sometimes, it doesn't always go both ways.. Did you ever play sports growing up? Serious question.. luck happens all the time, and just because one person, or team, gets lucky doesn't automatically mean another team in the same situation will also get lucky. It isn't a constant.

I will say you seemed pretty obsessed with this whole luck thing..

That is how it works sometimes, it doesn't always go both ways
for sure, and sometimes you ascribe luck when skill and hard work fit better
.. Did you ever play sports growing up?
Like in real life? And get owies?
Serious question.
seems serious
. luck happens all the time
ALL THE TIME. Not only was Nebraska lucky, Rutgers was lucky as well. For whatever reason, you only choose to see Nebraska as lucky.
, and just because one person, or team, gets lucky doesn't automatically mean another team in the same situation will also get lucky. It isn't a constant.
No shitt Sherlock. For every lucky thing you ascribe to Nebraska, i could ascribe one for Rutgers.
I will say you seemed pretty obsessed with this whole luck thing..
Perhaps I'm dense, just trying to understand your logic.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back