• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could NIL be used to destroy a team?

Are osu's qbs getting no NIL?
I'm going to say there are very few, if any, Power conference players getting $0 from NIL. That's part of my objection to the premise laid out by the OP. There are definitely some players getting minimal money (few thousand bucks, maybe), but those are players who wouldn't make an impact regardless if they were on a roster. Anyone who does or could make an impact to the roster is probably getting a nice amount of walking around money.

The schools with impactful talent buried on their roster (like OSU), have guys making good money, even if they aren't playing. Part of luring them in is what NIL they can get.

I'm going to say there are very few, if any, Power conference players getting $0 from NIL. That's part of my objection to the premise laid out by the OP. There are definitely some players getting minimal money (few thousand bucks, maybe), but those are players who wouldn't make an impact regardless if they were on a roster. Anyone who does or could make an impact to the roster is probably getting a nice amount of walking around money.

The schools with impactful talent buried on their roster (like OSU), have guys making good money, even if they aren't playing. Part of luring them in is what NIL they can get.
Yep
Guys like Kienholz https://247sports.com/player/lincoln-kienholz-46130719/
Sayin https://247sports.com/player/julian-sayin-46102486/
Will Howard https://247sports.com/player/will-howard-46056477/
Air Noland https://247sports.com/player/air-noland-46102927/

Four deep,what's that, maybe 6 million there? Maybe only 4?

Was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works within the Minnesota Basketball department on NIL and what he’s seeing.

The topic came up about using NIL as a weapon? I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have this kind of $$$ or even know of someone who does, but it was a fun discussion none the less.

The idea is could some Mark Cuban sized mega donor get in touch with specific agents or camps for players on an opposing team and say something a long the lines of “I’ll pay you $100,000 if you transfer from that school?”

Take Colorado for example, the Sanders boys and Travis Hunter are getting their fair share of NIL, but is anyone else? Could someone with deep enough pockets go in and completely destroy a programs depth to where they didn’t have enough quality athletes to be competitive?
This is why there needs to be a College Sport Czar. A Committee that sets rules, sets limits, creates a system that is fair & equitable to all schools. A VERY weird time we are in. On the positive side, at least for now, Nebraska is handling the whole NIL thing very well. Maybe someone (SUH) needs to chat with Warren Buffett and his Family.
Keep the Faith! (Close the door at 8-4)

Last edited:
Was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works within the Minnesota Basketball department on NIL and what he’s seeing.

The topic came up about using NIL as a weapon? I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have this kind of $$$ or even know of someone who does, but it was a fun discussion none the less.

The idea is could some Mark Cuban sized mega donor get in touch with specific agents or camps for players on an opposing team and say something a long the lines of “I’ll pay you $100,000 if you transfer from that school?”

Take Colorado for example, the Sanders boys and Travis Hunter are getting their fair share of NIL, but is anyone else? Could someone with deep enough pockets go in and completely destroy a programs depth to where they didn’t have enough quality athletes to be competitive?
Oregon State got collectively destroyed this off-season. It really can't get much worse than what they lost.

This is why there needs to be a College Sport Czar. A Committee that sets rules, sets limits, creates a system that is fair & equitable to all schools.
We have one. Supreme Court and lawyers dismantle all the rules, limits and the system that was designed to be as fair and equitable as it could. Now the jury is still out if the system is more equitable now or before NIL and transfer portal.

Last edited:
Oregon State got collectively destroyed this off-season. It really can't get much worse than what they lost.

Oregon State got destroyed because they don't have a conference, so everything from the $ to the chance to legitimately play for a championship is unknown. Nobody is signing up for that.

This is going to happen more and more regardless of whether a conference implodes or not. As Dannen mentioned, conferences are moving to an "eat what you kill" model. You don't win, there goes your $ and then everything else goes after that.

We have one. Supreme Court and lawyers dismantle all the rules, limits and the system that was designed to be as fair and equitable as it could. Now the jury is still out if the system is more equitable now or before NIL and transfer portal.

As "fair and equitable" to the schools, not the athletes (or anybody else.) The Sherman Antitrust Act was enacted in 1890. The entire system restricting athlete compensation has been illegal since day one, and the people who created the NCAA knew it.

The NCAA was originally created to standardize football playing rules in response to President Theodore Roosevelt's threat to ask Congress to pass a law banning the sport. The association that emerged in 1906 renamed itself the NCAA in 1910. Up until the late 1940s, the NCAA operated with a set of voluntary recruiting rules called the "sanity code." After WW II a bunch of schools didn't like the fact some schools kept violating those rules and doing things like paying players. Some schools didn't like the proliferation of post season games, and everybody was afraid of television cutting into attendance. Thus, you get the modern NCAA and its HQ in KC in 1951. The NCAA has been on a slow death watch ever since Oklahoma successfully sued over the NCAA's illegal monopolization of TV broadcasts in 1984.

The "core" problem now is one the NCAA and member schools actually really can't solve: Athletes should have the right to earn $ playing sports. Unfortunately, the NFL and NBA won't create a minor league system that allows athletes to be drafted after graduating high school. It's cheaper to allow colleges to act as the minor league system. From a university's point of view, nobody wants to go to a system where the best athletes don't play college ball, because that's a slope that ultimately results in a loss of a ton of $$.

I don’t know what to say to this. You started referencing 135 year old laws. The last 3 years have been so dynamic that the relevance is hard to determine.

The Accusation that the NBA and NFL are at fault is counter productive to college football. Believing them putting together a minor league system being helpful to any side is a little wild.

I don’t know what to say to this. You started referencing 135 year old laws. The last 3 years have been so dynamic that the relevance is hard to determine.

The Accusation that the NBA and NFL are at fault is counter productive to college football. Believing them putting together a minor league system being helpful to any side is a little wild.

1. The people who created the NCAA knew that restrictions against athlete compensation were illegal so they started with a system of voluntary rules to restrict schools from paying players.
2. That didn't work, so they changed the rules. Those rules are illegal. History matters. Laws matter, regardless of when they were passed.
3. I'm not arging from a position that's favorable to college football. I'm arguing from a position that's in favor of an athlete being able to monetize their skills/fame, etc. in any way that is legal under US law.

Last edited:
I can't think of a bigger locker room divider for kids aged 18-22 than a group of players receiving NIL money while another group in the same locker room isn't.

That's just me though.

We already have one. International students can't earn NIL money like domestic students. The terms of international student visas don't allow it. That impacts schools/teams differently depending on the sport, location, etc

What I suspect occurs is that there's some under the table dealing going on so those athletes are "taken care of" by their teammates.

Last edited:
We already have one. International students can't earn NIL money like domestic students. The terms of international student visas don't allow it. That impacts schools/teams differently depending on the sport, location, etc

What I suspect occurs is that there's some under the table dealing going on so those athletes are "taken care of" by their teammates.

Are you saying that Nebraska will be scouring Canada for more future talent?

1. The people who created the NCAA knew that restrictions against athlete compensation were illegal so they started with a system of voluntary rules to restrict schools from paying players.
2. That didn't work, so they changed the rules. Those rules are illegal. History matters. Laws matter, regardless of when they were passed.
3. I'm not arging from a position that's favorable to college football. I'm arguing from a position that's in favor of an athlete being able to monetize their skills/fame, etc. in any way that is legal under US law.
I shouldn’t respond to this post because I’m about 5 drinks into my Knobb Creek but I will. I’ll start by saying you are lucky we are are only a couple years away from the Scott Frost love fest or I’d call your original post and the follow up post the most ridiculous irrational post I’ve ever seen on this board.
You truthfully want to say that in 1906 the people who created the NCAA did it for the purpose of preventing players from paying players? It has never been about restricting players. It has ALWAYS been about creating a fair platform between the schools. What were they going to pay them in 1906? 15 cents an hour? Players didn’t care about that.
Laws matter? What laws? The Supreme Court only recently ruled on the interpretation of the law which quite frankly would not have happened 5-10 years prior so yes…..history does matter. In no way, shape or form should laws such as this be retroactive because society has evolved. Yes we no longer allow you to smoke in a restaurant. Do we go back and bastardize the people who created restaurants 100 years ago?

I shouldn’t respond to this post because I’m about 5 drinks into my Knobb Creek but I will. I’ll start by saying you are lucky we are are only af couple years away from the Scott Frost love fest or I’d call your original post and the follow up post the most ridiculous irrational post I’ve ever seen on this board.
You truthfully want to say that in 1906 the people who created the NCAA did it for the purpose of preventing players from paying players? It has never been about restricting players. It has ALWAYS been about creating a fair platform between the schools. What were they going to pay them in 1906? 15 cents an hour? Players didn’t care about that.
Laws matter? What laws? The Supreme Court only recently ruled on the interpretation of the law which quite frankly would not have happened 5-10 years prior so yes…..history does matter. In no way, shape or form should laws such as this be retroactive because society has evolved. Yes we no longer allow you to smoke in a restaurant. Do we go back and bastardize the people who created restaurants 100 years ago?

1. NO, I am not saying that. The NCAA was created to be a football on field rules making body. That's it! It eventually evolved to run its first championship in 1921.

2. The best early college teams most certainly did pay players. One of the reasons Yale was so good is because Walter Camp spent money. Just to give one example, Tackle James Hogan got a stipend, an off campus apartment, a 10-day vacation in Cuba, and a monoply on the sale of American Tobacco Company products on campus. Unlike other coaches, Camp recruited players too.

3. In 1948, the NCAA created the "sanity code" to limit what it saw as corruption. The fact that some schools were paying players, buying cars, etc. The new rules allowed scholarships and awarding jobs based on financial need. (The new rules also did things like cement NCAA control of TV broadcasts.) In 1956 they eliminated the financial need aspect.

4. The "original system" established by Camp and other wealthy universities was entirely proper! The system established in 1948 and 1956 has always been illegal restraint of trade. It violates the Sherman Antitrust Act.

5. The NCAA has lost every antitrust case filed against it since 1984!!! The only "new" thing is the willingness of plantiffs to file cases and judges to stop buying the NCAA's joke amaturism argument. The NCAA's original purpose was fine. It went "off the rails" because it got too large and smaller schools passed rules changes that would have been, and are, utterly rediculous and illegal in any other industry. There simply is not a legal way to create parity in college sports. That's why the NCAA didn't even try for over 40 years.

6. NIL didn't at all begin just a few years ago. It started with the O'Bannon (and Sam Keller) lawsuits over the NCAA Football and basketball video games, and other things like t-shirts, jerseys, etc. more than a decade ago. Everything has logically followed from that decision. The NCAA and member schools have had the opportunity to get ahead of this for years and years. They didn't choose to do so. Most of the lawyers on both sides of this issue knew it was a loser for the NCAA and schools, and advised them so. Most university leaders lack foresight and are justly paying for it.

*I forgot to include that the major reason the NCAA finally instituted rules in 1948 is because paying players, buying cars, etc. wasn't well known by the general public up until that point. After WW Ii there were "scandals" that made the press and exposed the NCAA and universities hypocrasy on amateur athletics. Those scandals also held potential tax implications. The NCAA and most schools are non-profit organizations.

Last edited:

Are you saying that Nebraska will be scouring Canada for more future talent?

If Nebraska had varsity men's and women's hockey, the coaches would quite likely recruit Canada.

Coaches will go anywhere to get good players. Amy Williams has had an "Australia to Lincoln" connection going on for several years now. (Not just Jaz, who we got via Oregon, but Issie Bourne, Ruby Porter and now Jess Petrie.)

As far as I've read, DHS's only official comment on NIL is they were "studying" the issue. A couple of athletes at smaller schools in the past couple of years basically said they were going to accept NIL opportunities in the US and dare DHS to deport them for it. As far as I know, nobody's lost their eligibility or visa over it, but DHS still hasn't officially changed the rules. Jaz was only allowed to earn money when she went back home to Australia.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back