• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could NIL be used to destroy a team?

ThrowFar60

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works within the Minnesota Basketball department on NIL and what he’s seeing.

The topic came up about using NIL as a weapon? I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have this kind of $$$ or even know of someone who does, but it was a fun discussion none the less.

The idea is could some Mark Cuban sized mega donor get in touch with specific agents or camps for players on an opposing team and say something a long the lines of “I’ll pay you $100,000 if you transfer from that school?”

Take Colorado for example, the Sanders boys and Travis Hunter are getting their fair share of NIL, but is anyone else? Could someone with deep enough pockets go in and completely destroy a programs depth to where they didn’t have enough quality athletes to be competitive?

Was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who works within the Minnesota Basketball department on NIL and what he’s seeing.

The topic came up about using NIL as a weapon? I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have this kind of $$$ or even know of someone who does, but it was a fun discussion none the less.

The idea is could some Mark Cuban sized mega donor get in touch with specific agents or camps for players on an opposing team and say something a long the lines of “I’ll pay you $100,000 if you transfer from that school?”

Take Colorado for example, the Sanders boys and Travis Hunter are getting their fair share of NIL, but is anyone else? Could someone with deep enough pockets go in and completely destroy a programs depth to where they didn’t have enough quality athletes to be competitive?
Or just stack players. Keep them from the competition for a year or whatever. They get paid, they may not start there, but they also won't be starting for the opposition.

Or just stack players. Keep them from the competition for a year or whatever. They get paid, they may not start there, but they also won't be starting for the opposition.

Barry Switzer has admitted doing the same thing (but different). Back then, there was no NIL, no transfer portal, and few scholarship limits.

OU would try to recruit the Top 10 TBS - and bench 8 of them - knowing that they weren't on the rosters of Nebraska or Texas.

NIL is different, but humans are the same.

Barry Switzer has admitted doing the same thing (but different). Back then, there was no NIL, no transfer portal, and few scholarship limits.

OU would try to recruit the Top 10 TBS - and bench 8 of them - knowing that they weren't on the rosters of Nebraska or Texas.

And when the monies right, like back then too, its the same all over again.
You could bottle up the first year of a player this way, and no, you couldn't keep him the next, you simply reload.

Devaney reportedly did the same thing: granted scholarships to kids just to keep them off some other team's roster.

Feel like this idea doesn't work as well in football as it might in other sports. Ignoring the fact that trying to poach someone who is already on someone else's roster is illegal (yes, I know people are still doing it)- why would you want to spend big bucks on someone who isn't a strong enough player to elicit any NIL money from the school they are currently at?

Take your example, if you go in and drop $200k on Colorado's starting TE and 2nd or 3rd best CB, how much damage does that do to Colorado? Football rosters are very big, especially in college, so cutting into the depth of a program by targeting guys who are getting little to no NIL money would require quite a bit of work.

In basketball, you could cut into depth a lot faster. Take away the 4th and 5th most important guys on a basketball team and you have a made a much larger dent.

I mean, if you can manage to do that, great. Places like Alabama, Ohio State, etc., kind of do that, but that was before NIL legalized. Load up on talent and worry about the rest later. Not sure I'd want to waste millions of dollars to simply sit on talent so other people can't have it. I have a hard time justifying spending this type of money period, but especially wouldn't on people you have no intention of playing.

We all want to see ZERO TAMPERING, but… its going to happen. The team has an outside “agent” who will contact the players “agent”, ….. so no one is directly responsible. All team agents and player agents should be CERTIFIED, thru an agreeable source, as this would reduce the tampering.

I mean, if you can manage to do that, great. Places like Alabama, Ohio State, etc., kind of do that, but that was before NIL legalized. Load up on talent and worry about the rest later. Not sure I'd want to waste millions of dollars to simply sit on talent so other people can't have it. I have a hard time justifying spending this type of money period, but especially wouldn't on people you have no intention of playing.
Are osu's qbs getting no NIL?

I can't think of a bigger locker room divider for kids aged 18-22 than a group of players receiving NIL money while another group in the same locker room isn't.

That's just me though.

I can't think of a bigger locker room divider for kids aged 18-22 than a group of players receiving NIL money while another group in the same locker room isn't.

That's just me though.
Girls will cause some problems too.......

Girls will cause some problems too.......

So true.

I will never forget very briefly meeting and speaking with Ahman Green when he came out of the locker room in Lincoln after the Kansas State game, where he tweaked his knee going into the southeastern corner of the end zone on a TD play. 97'?

I watched him hobble off into the distance on crutches with two of the most beautiful college girls I had ever seen clinging to both of his arms.

LOL.

I was much older, but I have to admit a little bit of envy on that one.............lol.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back