• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

Statistically.... Our average national rank in turnovers lost, 2010-2016 is 79th. Turnovers gained is 71st.

Turnovers Lost (2012 through 2015 was really bad):

View attachment 10630

Turnovers Gained:

View attachment 10631
That's interesting, because the site I used showed the turnovers gained national ranking as much lower... Maybe it was because I was looking at per game numbers instead of total numbers and we had bowl games included and approx 45 teams wouldn't have the extra game(s)?

Statistically.... Our average national rank in turnovers lost, 2010-2016 is 79th. Turnovers gained is 71st.

Turnovers Lost (2012 through 2015 was really bad):

View attachment 10630

Turnovers Gained:

View attachment 10631
Thanks for providing those numbers.

Without even looking at statistics and just with watching the games over the years, it felt to me like we were much worse at turning it over than we were at creating turnovers, but we really haven't been good at either.

It'll be interesting if we ever get another pro-style QB into the NFL after Ferragamo. Would love to show that Nebraska is good for something other than just linemen and the occasional RB.
So the reason to play this offense is to see if we can get a QB into the NFL? I see...

I take it at face value instead of attaching stuff to it. Didn't see the word reason or an insinuation to reason in the post.

C

And that's how I meant it. Nebraska regularly gets linemen in the NFL (Suh, Crick, Gregory, Nicks, Raiola, Carriker, Wistrom, the list goes on ad nauseum), and we usually get RBs in the league (Abdullah, Burkhead, Helu, Jackson, Buckhalter, Green, LP, etc).

But if I had to guess at our third most productive position? Probably kickers/punters. I'd love to start seeing us get more QBs and WRs drafted, and I think that Riley running a more pro style offense will only help that. Look at our GREATEST QBs - Frazier, Crouch, Frost - and it's obvious that our option oriented offense wasn't suited well to getting QBs drafted.

And that's how I meant it. Nebraska regularly gets linemen in the NFL (Suh, Crick, Gregory, Nicks, Raiola, Carriker, Wistrom, the list goes on ad nauseum), and we usually get RBs in the league (Abdullah, Burkhead, Helu, Jackson, Buckhalter, Green, LP, etc).

But if I had to guess at our third most productive position? Probably kickers/punters. I'd love to start seeing us get more QBs and WRs drafted, and I think that Riley running a more pro style offense will only help that. Look at our GREATEST QBs - Frazier, Crouch, Frost - and it's obvious that our option oriented offense wasn't suited well to getting QBs drafted.
I have never seen getting players drafted as one of the top goals of our program.

But you have to admit, it means we have better talent.
It means we have good players with the skillets that professional teams like. Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Gerry Gdowski, and a bevy of wide receivers over the years didn't lack talent... they lacked the particular skill set preferred by NFL teams.

But you have to admit, it means we have better talent.

Exactly. Most NCAAF players will never take a single snap in the NFL, but the top end kids definitely will. Teams like Alabama or Ohio State are recruiting classes full of NFL talent annually.

The goal is still winning NCAA titles but lots of draft stock means lots of NFL-level talent on Nebraska's roster. And that translates to better odds at winning Big Ten and CFP crowns.

Correlation =/= Causation, but I'll take a roster full of future draftees than a roster full of 3rd Team All-Conference players every day of the week.

did anyone say it was?
DuckTown and others seem to really want it to happen, and it's been discussed as an important recruiting tool. I like seeing guys going to the NFL, but it's not a big concern of mine... especially when it comes to quarterbacks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back