Get tickets for all Husker games here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackshirts??

Recruit

Blackshirts??

Any Blackshirt sightings yet at practice???

I know it gets old every year in guessing and waiting for them to be given out but it is part of our tradition that I really love. Maybe after we beat up on Sparty.....

Husker Immortal
    That's just a silly tradition that has no place in modern NU football. Bo-Shirts are the word.

as long as we are winning...I wouldn't hand out anything. Don't fool with Karma

You just had to bring it up, eh?

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    You just had to bring it up, eh?
    Had to be done, the offense is playing old school, we need the D to rise again as well.

One would assume that they would be a Awarded after a big win... But I'm not sure the players know what it means now.

Ahh yes, the annual (weekly?) "crab about the Blackshirt" thread. For the time being, let's accept that the tradition has been changed and Blackshirts are now awarded, not just given away. Here are my thoughts:

The defense needs to make some big statements in both the non-conference games as well as against a solid (not elite, not terrible) conference opponent. Beating up on Fresno and FAU was expected. Beating up on Miami opened a few eyes. Beating up on Michigan State will prove the defense is not a fluke.

And that's when you award Blackshirts. Once you've tilled the soil (FAU), planted the seeds (McNeese, Fresno), seen the first crops sprout (Miami) and seen enough growth to estimate your harvest (MSU). We're not asking them to load up the combine and go into harvest - but based on the performance arc, you can get a feel for how the harvest will look by season's end.

Assuming we beat up on MSU fairly well, then I feel safe saying that no other team on our schedule should pose a tremendous threat to our defense. Can we be outcoached? Yes. Have mental mistakes and breakdowns? Absolutely. But in my mind you award the Blackshirts when you see that spark that can predict the tone of the season.

It's the "Eye of the Tiger" speech that Apollo gives Rocky - it's not the rematch against Clubber Lang.
    It's Han and Luke rescuing Leia from the trash compactor - not the final Trench Run.

It's the moment when greatness is conceived - not when it's realized.

Husker Immortal
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The starters on defense get blackshirts. At the start of the season. Blackshirts have never been given away (unless you want to count Pelini's efforts). They were always earned.

It's as easy as that.

Backbench, ................. Final Final, City
    Nice Analogy, DTH!

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    Ahh yes, the annual (weekly?) "crab about the Blackshirt" thread. For the time being, let's accept that the tradition has been changed and Blackshirts are now awarded, not just given away. Here are my thoughts:

The defense needs to make some big statements in both the non-conference games as well as against a solid (not elite, not terrible) conference opponent. Beating up on Fresno and FAU was expected. Beating up on Miami opened a few eyes. Beating up on Michigan State will prove the defense is not a fluke.

And that's when you award Blackshirts. Once you've tilled the soil (FAU), planted the seeds (McNeese, Fresno), seen the first crops sprout (Miami) and seen enough growth to estimate your harvest (MSU). We're not asking them to load up the combine and go into harvest - but based on the performance arc, you can get a feel for how the harvest will look by season's end.

Assuming we beat up on MSU fairly well, then I feel safe saying that no other team on our schedule should pose a tremendous threat to our defense. Can we be outcoached? Yes. Have mental mistakes and breakdowns? Absolutely. But in my mind you award the Blackshirts when you see that spark that can predict the tone of the season.

It's the "Eye of the Tiger" speech that Apollo gives Rocky - it's not the rematch against Clubber Lang.
    It's Han and Luke rescuing Leia from the trash compactor - not the final Trench Run.

You can do what you want, but when you say "Let us accept that ... Blackshirts are now awarded, not just given away", as if they didn't use to mean anything before because they were "just given away", I'm going to tell you "No thank you, let's not" and then tell you where you can..."
    Run, Riley, run!

Backbench, ................. Final Final, City
    Always Earned; Never Given! I can agree with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Don View Post
    Always Earned; Never Given! I can agree with that!

Yep! Called being a starter!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post

So?

If the Defense is just average all year and the offense pulls out all the wins then we go a whole year without Blackshirts being handed out?

Yep one fine tradition down the drain!

Now before my little stalker blows up on me!

This is the ONLY thing that I disagree with Bo on! Besides this, Bo and his staff have been doing a damn fine job!

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkman1 View Post
    Yep! Called being a starter!
    Why don't kids get credit anymore for working out during the summer, hitting the weights, competing against each other and winning a starting position? How did that become something not earned? Just drives me crazy.

That is what football is about. teamwork, hardwork and being the best you can be. And then to be told that starting is not something you earned.

Takes all kinds.