Get tickets for all Husker games here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Pernell: Interview with JoJo Domann

JoJo Domann of Pine Creek High School in Colorado Springs, Colorado, is rated as a high three-star prospect by 247Sports, Rivals and Scout, and is yet to be rated by ESPN. As one of the best overall players in the Huskers' 500-mile radius, JoJo has become one of the most sought after players on the Huskers' recruiting board. Domann is a former high school teammate of 2015 Nebraska signee Avery Anderson and is regarded as one of the best linebackers in the Western United States. Nebraska will likely sign at least four linebackers in this upcoming class and Domann is arguably their top target. It's no secret that linebackers will have a lot of responsibility in Mark Banker's cover 4 scheme. One of their most important assignments will be the need for them to cover running backs, tight ends and even slot receivers occasionally. Domann is exceptional in coverage and seems to be tailor-made for this system. There are a handful of 'local' products that Nebraska coaches and its fans are holding their breath on and JoJo Domann is among those players. I had the opportunity to interview JoJo in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?
    A: For fun, I like to beat my friends at FIFA.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?
    A: I started playing tackle football in 6th grade.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?
    A: The Kansas Jayhawks

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?
    A: The Indianapolis Colts

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?
    A: I don't really have a preference between the two.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?
    A: I like Ed Reed's game.

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?
    A: No, not really.

Q: Are you happy the NCAA went to a playoff, or did you prefer the BCS system?
    A: I love the playoff system.

Q: When and who was your first scholarship offer?
    A: My first offer was from Colorado in December of 2014.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?
    A: I have 14 offers at the moment (Colorado, Nebraska, Arizona State, Kansas State, Cal, North Carolina, UNLV, Air Force, Colorado State, Nevada, Oregon State, Virginia, Utah State, Wyoming).

Q: Is there a school that hasn't offered you that you would like to see do so?
    A: I would like to get offers from Stanford, TCU and Michigan.

Q: What are some of the considerations you have when deciding between schools?
    A: I am looking for a football town, a winning program and personal relationships with my coaches!

Q: Are there any schools who currently lead for your commitment?
    A: No, I don't have any clear leaders right now.

Q: Do you pay attention to the recruiting momentum of the teams you are considering?
    A: No, not really.

Q: Did you attend any schools Spring Game?
    A: No, I didn't.

Q: You were a top performer at both the Las Vegas Pylon 7-on-7 national tournament in March, and the IMG 7-on-7 tournament in April. You were then named Linebacker MVP at the Rivals Camp Series in St. Louis last month. Do you have any other camp plans this summer?
    A: I am camping at Stanford on the 16th of this month.

Q: Who is currently recruiting you the hardest?
    A: Nebraska, Kansas State, Colorado and Arizona State

Q: New Nebraska coach Mike Riley and his staff have made the 500-mile radius around Nebraska a recruiting priority. They want border-states like Colorado to be treated like in-state kids. After being named Colorado Defensive Player of the Year as a junior, you are arguably the best player in the Centennial State for the 2016 class. You are exactly the kind of player he wants to bring to Lincoln. Where do the Huskers currently stand with you?
    A: I'll be visiting Lincoln one last time before I make my decision and they have everything that I'm looking for in a school.

Q: Have you thought about who you might want to "officially visit"?
    A: I plan to take official visits to the team that I commit to and also my second place finisher.

Q: You are friends with Eric Lee and a former high school teammate of Avery Anderson. Both of them enrolled early, took part in spring practice, and have been a part of the program for about six months. What have they told you about Nebraska so far?
    A: They love the atmosphere. They are both doing really well and just have emphasized how it's a job!

Q: Are the two of them pulling for you to join them in Lincoln?
    A: Yes! They are coming after me pretty hard.

Q: With your speed and coverage skills, you could play either OLB or SS in college. What positions are you being recruited to play?
    A: I have been recruited and offered by different schools to play OLB, SS and WR.

Q: What position would you prefer to play in college?
    A: I will play whatever that gets me on the field.

Q: When Mike Riley and the new staff took over at Nebraska, they noticed a glaring need for linebacker help. Most people agree that you are the #1 LB on the Huskers' recruiting board. Does the possibility of playing your way onto the field early with the Huskers excite you?
    A: Yes, I never really thought about it that way though. I just want to find the right fit and I know that I'll work my way onto the field wherever I end up.

Q: Under the new staff, Nebraska will play a 'Cover 4' defense. The system is predicated upon strong linebacker play. In a Cover 4, linebackers have to be athletic and versatile. You are one of the best coverage linebackers in the country and your skillset suggests that you would excel in a Cover 4 scheme. Is this a defense you could see yourself playing in?
    A: Yes! They do a lot of different things with their linebackers and I definitely see myself playing and doing well under Coach Bray.

Q: What do you feel are some of your playing strengths?
    A: My strengths include my ball skills, my instincts and my overall knowledge if the game.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?
    A: I would like to work on my speed and size.

Q: How would you feel about Redshirting?
    A: I think it's good for a players development and getting used to college classes. It also gives you a chance to familiarize yourself with the overall speed and talent in college football.

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?
    A: The toughest part is just the constant contact with 20+ colleges everyday.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?
    A: Sports Broadcasting

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?
    A: To win another state championship.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?
    A: No, not yet. I am just focused on high school and finishing my career with a 3-peat. I will worry about that after my senior season.

Q: What do you think you will miss the most about high school?
    A: Just all of the relationships that I have with everyone.

Q: Do you have a time frame as to when you would like to commit?
    A: Mid-July

Q: In addition to 'National Letter of Intent Day' in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball?
    A: No, I don't.

Q: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending the same school?
    A: Not really, no.

Q: When you do decide to commit to a school, will you be an active peer recruiter? Will you try and sway some kids to join you?
    A: Yes! For sure!

Q: What are 3 things on your 'Bucket List'?
    A: (1) To be in a movie. (2) To be on The Bachelor. (3) To create my own restaurant.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
    A: My biggest influences are my father and my brother.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.

Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of Volleyball?

• Video player