Get tickets for all Husker games here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Pernell: Interview with Quayshon Alexander

Quayshon Alexander of De Paul Catholic High School in Wayne, New Jersey, is currently rated as a
    four-star prospect by 247Sports (#143 overall) and ESPN (# 269 overall), and as a high three-star by Rivals and Scout. When Mark Banker and Trent Bray arrived in Lincoln back in December and saw the lack of depth at linebacker, they quickly made the position a top priority for the 2015 class. The Huskers ended up signing five potential linebackers in February. Banker has said he would like to have around 12 scholarship linebackers on the roster, ideally, and that means it will remain a position of need in the upcoming 2016 class. Nebraska will likely sign four or more linebackers in this class as they look to restock the roster. Quayshon Alexander, who has offers from Michigan, Miami, Mississippi and others, is on top of their board at outside linebacker. I had the opportunity to interview him in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?
    A: I love to watch WWE and play video games in my off time.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?
    A: I started playing football back in the 2nd grade.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?
    A: Boise State

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?
    A: The Pittsburgh Steelers.

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?
    A: I don't have a preference.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?
    A: Not really, unless I'm on the basketball court. Then I try to be like Paul Pierce. He's the greatest!

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?
    A: I wear #2 because my brother wore it.

Q: Are you happy the NCAA went to a playoff, or did you prefer the BCS system?
    A: (laughing) I didn't notice.

Q: When and who was your first scholarship offer?
    A: I got my first offer during my sophomore year, from Rutgers.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?
    A: I have 14 offers right now.

Q: Is there a school that hasn't offered you that you would like to see do so?
    A: No, I am blessed and happy with the ones that I have.

Q: What are some of the considerations you have when deciding between schools?
    A: I worry about location somewhat, but not much. Early playing time does not affect me, the school I choose to attend is giving me an opportunity to play football and attend a great academic institution. I will try as hard as I can and if that lands me on the field, then I am blessed!

Q: You have said that Nebraska is the favorite to gain your commitment. Are there any other teams currently in your final group?
    A: Rutgers, Arizona State, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Iowa and Ole Miss.

Q: Your brother, Kiy Hester, plays for hometown Rutgers. Do you feel a pull to stay home and play with him?
    A: There is added pressure from different people to stay home, but I feel no different about the decision I make, whether it will be Rutgers or not.

Q: You have said that your mom wants you to take visits before you commit. Are you making plans to visit Nebraska with her so she will be confident with your possibly being a Husker?
    A: My mom may attend, her health is not in the best condition. Whether or not she accompanies me on the trip is undecided.

Q: Do you pay attention to the recruiting momentum of the teams you are considering?
    A: Yes, I definitely look at schools and see who theyíre recruiting and who they already have committed.

Q: Did you attend any schools Spring Game?
    A: I went to see Pittsburgh's spring game.

Q: Do you plan on attending any camps or combines this summer?
    A: No, I don't plan on attending any this summer.

Q: Who is currently recruiting you the hardest?
    A: Nebraska, Rutgers, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Ole Miss, Oregon and Iowa

Q: Have you thought about who you might want to "officially visit"?
    A: Nebraska, Iowa, Arizona State and Pittsburgh. The last one I am still undecided about.

Q: You are capable of playing defensive end or linebacker. Has Nebraska told you where they would like to play you?
    A: They told me that they see me as an outside linebacker.

Q: What position would you prefer to play in college?
    A: OLB

Q: When Mike Riley and the new staff took over at Nebraska, they noticed a glaring need for linebacker help. Does the possibility of playing your way onto the field early with the Huskers excite you?
    A: Well, I didnít know that their linebacker position was such a necessity, but I expect to compete and have fun!

Q: What do you feel are some of your playing strengths?
    A: My strengths are my quickness, versatility, agility, hands, speed and strength.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?
    A: I would like to understand not just the defense I am in thoroughly, but I want to understand the opponents offense too.

Q: How would you feel about Redshirting?
    A: I do not mind redshirting. Whatever helps my team the most, I will do.

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?
    A: There is no annoying part. Iím very fortunate to be in the position that I am in, and I know I need to do something with it.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?
    A: Most likely a Business or Life Skills major. And I definitely want to minor in Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs.

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?
    A: To be the best I can be for my school, coaches, family and friends.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?
    A: I plan on doing the best that I can on and off the field. That is adequate enough for me.

Q: What do you think you will miss the most about high school?
    A: Lunch time, my coaches, friends and the cookies.

Q: What is the craziest recruiting "pitch" you have heard so far?
    A: Nothing has really stood out to me.

Q: Do you have a time frame as to when you would like to commit?
    A: After I take my unofficial to Lincoln, most likely.

Q: In addition to 'National Letter of Intent Day' in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball?
    A: I'm not sure, but I do think that official visits should be allowed earlier so that there isnít as much conflict with our school and football schedule.

Q: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending the same school?
    A: No, not really.

Q: When you do commit, do you think you will be an active peer recruiter and try to sway some kids to play with you?
    A: No, personally I want kids to make their own decisions. They have to want to be a Husker, or wherever they plan on attending. I feel it deep down in my heart that Nebraska is the school for me. When other people feel the same thing, Iím sure theyíll make the right decision.

Q: What are 3 things on your 'Bucket List'?
    A: I want to Skydive, meet Paul Pierce and meet all of my favorite WWE wrestlers.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
    A: The people in my everyday life and The Undertaker.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is the Defensive Coordinator

• Video player