• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Zach Duval--the problem or only part of the problem?

What do you think of Cam Jurgens and Piper? How are they being limited by S&C staff and what needs to be done differently with those two?
Love Piper, he was the guy that was ready from the jump out of high school. He was a guy we actually showed a video of squatting correctly. Excited to see what he can be, not too worried about freshmen being limited by S/C unless it's injuries.

Jurgens just needs to stay healthy.

Last edited:

How much is on Duval v. how much is on Austin?

Trying to play devils advocate here, it’s just that it didn’t seem like Stille, Rogers, Robinson, or D. Daniels had issues creating push on the defensive side of the ball. I think there’s plenty of blame to go around, until we’re consistently in the Big 10 title game at least.

If you have to get rid of either Austin or Duval, I can see why one would opt for Duval to go. Austin has done a pretty good job of recruiting, and I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt if he tells you that his guys can’t create push because they’re stiff and can’t win the leverage game.

I beat a dead horse with this argument, I just have a hard time accepting that our defense can get better, and our offense gets worse, and the offense failing is a knock against Duval, but our defense improving isn’t a sign that things are working.
That's my thing, I think there's a sum of some issues. I don't know what decisions were at Austins feet and which ones were at Frosts, that's a big reason I am in wait and see mode for the line. I did say before the season we have a chance to return all 5 guys on the line to a team that looked to be improving at the end of 2019, so even if we don't start all of them it should be better because Benhart starting would mean a move to guard for Farniok, etc.

Defensively, I think we are building to hold up against Iowa and Wisconsin. I'm fine with that. But the problem comes when we play Ohio State, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, our defense struggles in space. Is what it is I suppose.

I won't go down all the guys I saw regression/injuries from the first three years because that's horse has been beat. I just think the results are there. Heck, they are almost there with Frost too. Just need to be good in 2021.

*** could you maybe give us some of lifts they are doing and agility work.
They probably are doing their circuit right now, Crossfit before Crossfit was around. I posted this a couple years ago:
It can be different, but basically you have to start with back squats. Looks basically like this:

1 - Back squat
2 - Bench
3 - Low pull
4 - Lunges
5 - Shoulder raises
6 - Bent over rows
7 - Leg curls
8 - Tricep extensions
9 - Bicep curls

It's really really old school. There's been some advancements that can help it.

They probably are doing their circuit right now, Crossfit before Crossfit was around. I posted this a couple years ago:
Duvall seems to be good at getting guys bigger. My opinion I would do like the guys from Alabama they have that Duvall coach but they have the speed guy analytics guy tracking stuff I think that would work well here. I just don’t get with Frost and his love affair with the SC results. In your opinion why don’t they post results of training? My opinion they are not as great as they say I really can’t say anyone but One running back got faster that was attributed to playing at a lower weight.

Duvall seems to be good at getting guys bigger. My opinion I would do like the guys from Alabama they have that Duvall coach but they have the speed guy analytics guy tracking stuff I think that would work well here. I just don’t get with Frost and his love affair with the SC results. In your opinion why don’t they post results of training? My opinion they are not as great as they say I really can’t say anyone but One running back got faster that was attributed to playing at a lower weight.
Rhea and Ballou are unreal down there. They actually gave a shoutout to a Lincoln company this morning.

I don't know why they don't give numbers. Part of me thinks it's because we put 800 pounds on the bar for squats but if we listed squat maxes they would all really be in the 500s. Frost held the QB squat record at Nebraska at 475 pounds, every single DB reps in the 600s now the way we do squats.

Don't have a great answer for you on the testing.

Rhea and Ballou are unreal down there. They actually gave a shoutout to a Lincoln company this morning.

I don't know why they don't give numbers. Part of me thinks it's because we put 800 pounds on the bar for squats but if we listed squat maxes they would all really be in the 500s. Frost held the QB squat record at Nebraska at 475 pounds, every single DB reps in the 600s now the way we do squats.

Your right those guys are amazing they have a speed guy right there in town that worked with Nate Gerry, Luke Gifford and some other guys he had some amazing results. Is there one player you look at and see and speed improvement or mobility. I just don’t see it plenty who put on weight. I’m with you I want them to be successful.

Jurgens just needs to stay healthy.

My impressions of Jurgens' health is that it is not wholly attributed to S&C problem, but as much as a physical / structural issue with his feet / legs.

Maybe a part of that could be attributed to some of the weight gain from his TE body to that of an offensive lineman.

This is an interesting read from Rigoni... his dissertation.

Here is the table of contents:

[/QUOTE]
LIST OF APPENDICIES, TABLES, & FIGURES……………..……….............................vii
CHAPTER 1: Introduction: Marginal Revenue Product of a Premium College Football Player.......…..8
CHAPTER 2: Meta-Analyses of Traditional Physical Performance Prediction Metrics…….....…16
CHAPTER 3: Applied Practitioners: NFL Scouting Perspectives……..……………......………...34
CHAPTER 4: Subject Matter Expert: Dr. Tom Osborne's Integrative Approach…..…..…………54
CHAPTER 5: Performance Index: An Enhanced Evaluation Process………………...….........….71
CHAPTER 6: Toughness: Model Comparisons Suggest Predictive Utility of Biomarkers………92
CHAPTER 7: Conclusion: Toughness Predicts Performance in College Football………....……113
REFERENCES…………………………………………………………………….…...…………125

Attachments

• 17272671.pdf
    311.2 KB · Views: 86
Your right those guys are amazing they have a speed guy right there in town that worked with Nate Gerry, Luke Gifford and some other guys he had some amazing results. Is there one player you look at and see and speed improvement or mobility. I just don’t see it plenty who put on weight. I’m with you I want them to be successful.
The thing that worries me is people point to the guys that either stay away from our training (for whatever reason) or younger guys. For example, people always pointed to JoJo or Wan'Dale. That said, it's tough to be mad at what you see from Casey Rogers or Ty Robinson, but again Chinander did a really good job getting those guys in optimal spots like our nickel package.

I don't see many guys getting faster. I worry what may come out with Wan'Dale and McCaffrey, our training is much different than how the McCaffreys do it. Not saying one is right one is wrong, I just have my preference.

My impressions of Jurgens' health is that it is not wholly attributed to S&C problem, but as much as a physical / structural issue with his feet / legs.

Maybe a part of that could be attributed to some of the weight gain from his TE body to that of an offensive lineman.
Tough for me to be too mad at S/C for Jurgens injuries. I guess I could be frustrated they tried putting 50 pounds on him when he had those issues but I don't think those injuries are a functional problem with our training.

Last edited:

That's one thing I am not crazy about from a distance, and I hate to criticize without actually seeing them train, but I don't like overloading on the weight. To me that's a philosophy vs implementation issue. Sometimes it's more important to do whatever it is that you do intelligently than one style versus another IMO.

It takes years and years for most people to build up huge lift numbers if ever. When you start talking about squatting 800 pounds, especially for multiple reps, or skill players squatting three times their bodyweight...well, there's very few people that can legitimately do that. I know a guy that once had an official three times bodyweight squat and at the time there weren't many males in the US who had officially posted that.

Football players don't neccesarily need to hit true parallel on squat depth but when guys are overloading the weight so much that they aren't even coming close, it's too much weight. Because not only does it take a long time to actually build the strength needed to legitimately squat 800+ but a person's soft tissue and connective tissue has to be made ready for that type of load too. And if it's not it can contribute to stiffness and inflammation in joints and ligaments.

That's one thing I am not crazy about from a distance, and I hate to criticize without actually seeing them train, but I don't like overloading on the weight. To me that's a philosophy vs implementation issue. Sometimes it's more important to do whatever it is that you do intelligently than one style versus another IMO.

It takes years and years for most people to build up huge lift numbers if ever. When you start talking about squatting 800 pounds, especially for multiple reps, or skill players squatting three times their bodyweight...well, there's very few people that can legitimately do that. I know a guy that once had an official three times bodyweight squat and at the time there weren't many males in the US who had officially posted that.

Football players don't neccesarily need to hit true parallel on squat depth but when guys are overloading the weight so much that they aren't even coming close, it's too much weight. Because not only does it take a long time to actually build the strength needed to legitimately squat 800+ but a person's soft tissue and connective tissue has to be made ready for that type of load too. And if it's not it can contribute to stiffness and inflammation in joints and ligaments.
If you don't use it you lose it. Range of Motion goes away if you train without it, thus why we look stiff IMO. Go watch any guy at a local gym putting on a ton of weight whether that be bench or squats and then look at them move, it's not pretty typically.

Duval tried creating a mindset of look how strong you are and a mentality to work hard. I understand that. But it's looking like being actually strong could be better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back