• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

YouTube TV and the Championship Match

Plague of Crickets

Where am I?
5 Year Member
I'm not sure if this has been posted. If you have YouTube TV and want to watch the match, keep an eye on the negotiations between Google and Disney. ESPN may disappear from YouTube TV tonight, and if so, you'll need to switch to another provider to catch the match. I'll be switching to Hulu TV if that happens, but there are other options.

Last edited:

YouTube TV did in fact cut off the ESPN channels. Who knows whether they'll be back tomorrow or ever. The cheapest alternatives are to sign up for a free trial with one of the other streaming TV services, or to subscribe to ESPN+ and watch in a web browser or using the phone or tablet app ($6.99/mo). Grrr...

Edit: Turns out that a subscription to ESPN+ won't get you live games. For that you need a streaming service or cable.

Last edited:
As much as ESPN has caused problems with its love affair (outright favoritism) with the SEC, Google is every bit the villain when it comes to causing problems for consumers. A few months ago it was YouTube TV vs. Roku. In the past, the Big Ten Network, Discovery family of networks, NBC Universal, and others have been in the crosshairs. It goes beyond $$$ -- it's Google's insatiable appetite for controlling access to viewer information.

As much as ESPN has caused problems with its love affair (outright favoritism) with the SEC, Google is every bit the villain when it comes to causing problems for consumers. A few months ago it was YouTube TV vs. Roku. In the past, the Big Ten Network, Discovery family of networks, NBC Universal, and others have been in the crosshairs. It goes beyond $$$ -- it's Google's insatiable appetite for controlling access to viewer information.

It's hard to root for either company. Disney is predatory, and trying to force people to switch to Hulu, which they own a majority stake in. IMHO, there's a real anti-trust issue there. And Google...yeah.

Last edited:
I’ve been using YT-TV for a while and like it…but this IS frustrating.

I’ll be looking at Sling just for the ESPN stuff… and maybe a total switch from YT-TV to FuboTV.

i wonder if there’s ANY chance they’d reach a deal today before the game.

Last edited:

I think viewers are being played as the pawn in the perennial game between the network and Google. This is just the latest round.

Fun fact – networks avoid selling channels to distributors ala carte. So when they sit down at the negotiating table, ESPN is mandating that Google pay a certain monthly licensing fees for every one of those 15 channels, even if we all know that it's the "ESPN" channels that command the top dollars.

Said differently, ESPN is likely presenting Google with a rate card that prices out "ESPN" around $5 per month and "National Geographic Wild" at $.50 per month – with the expectation that Google has to buy all 15 channels.

Hoping that somebody, some day, figures out how to create a true, ala carte plan.

Aside from that – YTTV has the best streaming quality and user interface, IMHO. Makes me reluctant to switch.

It's hard to root for either company. Disney is predatory, and trying to force people to switch to Hulu, which they own a majority stake in. IMHO, there's a real anti-trust issue there. And Google...yeah.

I forgot about that wrinkle. And it's the Disney channels that Hulu really touts in their promotion.

So yeah, I imagine that Disney is pushing YTTV to pay top dollar, otherwise, we'll just keep those channels for ourselves and capture more Hulu subscribers.

Live sports channels remains the "straw that sirs the drink" for any kind of TV package.

I’ve been using YT-TV for a while and like it…but this IS frustrating.

I’ll be looking at Sling just for the ESPN stuff… and maybe a total switch from YT-TV to FuboTV.

i wonder if there’s ANY chance they’d reach a deal today before the game.

As Ferris says, things move fast.

Noticed that all my ESPN library got turned off immediately when the negotiating deadline came and went.

Just signed up for FuboTV. I'm not jumping to HuluTV over this dispute, because that allows Disney to have have it's cake and eat it to. Hopefully YouTube TV gets it figured out in the next couple of days, and I'll gladly restart my subscription with them.

Just to reiterate, ESPN+ WILL NOT GET YOU ACCESS to tonight's game. There is ESPN+ (add on service) and the ESPN app. ESPN app allows you to watch tonight's game, but will need a cable or OTT subscription login info to access.

I've been overpaying for DirecTV for a while, but I guess here is an advantage to procrastinating my call to them. They've been willing to give me a lower negotiated price (and usually throw in Sunday Ticket if I agree to stay with them another year). I just haven't gotten around to calling them yet this year after my price went back up after the year passed.

Anyone have DirecTV Stream yet? If so, how does it compare to regular DirecTV or other stream services?

I've been overpaying for DirecTV for a while, but I guess here is an advantage to procrastinating my call to them. They've been willing to give me a lower negotiated price (and usually throw in Sunday Ticket if I agree to stay with them another year). I just haven't gotten around to calling them yet this year after my price went back up after the year passed.

Anyone have DirecTV Stream yet? If so, how does it compare to regular DirecTV or other stream services?

DirectTV in the year 2021 reminds me of satellite radio. A slowly dying platform. I got endless calls offering me the XM rate of $9 for 6months of service when I bought my last new car.

I think viewers are being played as the pawn in the perennial game between the network and Google. This is just the latest round.

Fun fact – networks avoid selling channels to distributors ala carte. So when they sit down at the negotiating table, ESPN is mandating that Google pay a certain monthly licensing fees for every one of those 15 channels, even if we all know that it's the "ESPN" channels that command the top dollars.

Said differently, ESPN is likely presenting Google with a rate card that prices out "ESPN" around $5 per month and "National Geographic Wild" at $.50 per month – with the expectation that Google has to buy all 15 channels.

Hoping that somebody, some day, figures out how to create a true, ala carte plan.

Aside from that – YTTV has the best streaming quality and user interface, IMHO. Makes me reluctant to switch.

I've had YTTV and now HULU Live. Although I agree about the better UI, I found YTTV much "buggyer" than Hulu, which has been stone cold reliable. I had all kinds of issues with YTTV - did uninstall/reinstall at least a half a dozen times in the year+ that I used it. I don't think it was my system given the solid reliability of Hulu and other streaming apps on the same system.

And man, do I ever agree with you re: a true ala carte plan. Sometimes I feel like the streamers are using cable TV as their golden standard :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I just went with Sling Orange (for the ESPN channels). $10 for the first month should give me enough time to cancel when/if Google and Disney come to terms. I won’t stay with Sling at $40/month.

If Google vs. Disney drags on too long, I’ll likely move from YTTV to FuboTV.

At least I’m good to go for the game tonight!

GBR!!!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back