• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

YOUR OUT

Nebugeater

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member

I like how the 2nd article refers to his swing as a practice swing for the next pitch. I think he knew it the second he swung around.:cool:

I like how the 2nd article refers to his swing as a practice swing for the next pitch. I think he knew it the second he swung around.:cool:

I think both are true. He took the swing as a practice for the next pitch, but the second he completed it, he realized his mistake.

HAHAHAHA!!!! That is flipping HILARIOUS!!!! It's fairly obvious he did a "practice" swing, but that was a live ball, HAHAHAHA!!!! Good stuff.

So if you haven't see this strike out from the AA Hartford Yard Goats you have to invest a minute of your life and see this video clip. I believe the game was May 26th

No matter where this guy goes in professional baseball he will have created a situation that will not go forgotten.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/weird-minor-league-strikeout-likely-the-most-bizarre-yo-1795606023

And another story

http://uproxx.com/sports/weird-baseball-strikeout-yard-goats-minor-leagues/

Ump is a turd! Really? I would like to see the regulation on that one!

The pitch was thrown and the ball was still in play when he swung CB. As funny as that was, it was a strike as soon as his bat went around.
That makes zero sense- in the MLB you see it all the time where a catcher can't get ahold of a ball thrown in the dirt and the batter takes a "practice" swing while still in the batters box. I've never seen it called a strike... besides, the ball had hit the ground well before he swung, and was still on the ground after he finished his swing. Obviously, no contact was made- bad call blue. If the naysayers want to say this was the right call- what would you call it when a batter is still taking "practice swings" and the pitcher throws the ball to home plate because he finds something wrong with the ball and wants a different one?

That makes zero sense- in the MLB you see it all the time where a catcher can't get ahold of a ball thrown in the dirt and the batter takes a "practice" swing while still in the batters box. I've never seen it called a strike... besides, the ball had hit the ground well before he swung, and was still on the ground after he finished his swing. Obviously, no contact was made- bad call blue. If the naysayers want to say this was the right call- what would you call it when a batter is still taking "practice swings" and the pitcher throws the ball to home plate because he finds something wrong with the ball and wants a different one?
Agree. The definition of a strike is swinging at the ball.

Apples and oranges. The ball wasn't in the dirt, the pitcher wasn't asking for a new ball either. It was still a live pitch and the batter swung, strike called.

Glad someone agrees, that was a "nasty" call by the umpire. Does it ever have to be by the ump? :Taunt:

You've seen a guy taking practice swings in the batters box when a ball is thrown in the dirt and the catcher is having trouble picking it up? I've never seen that ever. Your second example time is called so the ball isn't in play so that would be another wrong example.

Good call by the ump, don't swing at a ball on the way to the catcher if you aren't attempting to hit it. I suppose we shouldn't call a strike on a guy who is getting intentionally walked but swings at it?

Last edited:

Apples and oranges. The ball wasn't in the dirt, the pitcher wasn't asking for a new ball either. It was still a live pitch and the batter swung, strike called.
I would argue that the rule says you have to strike at the ball. Swinging the bat no where near the ball is not a strike at the ball.

http://www.usabaseball.com/documents/7/9/4/128576794/NCAA_Rulebook_2016_7nojpzr8.pdf

A Strike
SECTION 4. A strike is:
a. A legal pitch struck at by the batter without the ball touching the bat;

It does go on to add this, but would still contend that the ball was not in front of him and he was making no attempt at trying to strike it.
A.R. 2
If a pitched ball strikes the ground in front of the batter and the batter swings
at it, the ball is in play if hit and a strike if missed

The ball was still in play. If there was a runner on base attempting a steal in that situation it would be a live play. So should it be for the batter. If it was a dead situation then the runner could not try and advance

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back