• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Your impressions thus far....

OK, question: if we win all the games at home this month, are we ranked?

I think we might. But, one never knows!
I would hope so. Been following the polls myself and before our Loyola Marymount series, both teams were receiving votes in one poll (I think the coaches poll). Then after we won 2 out of 3, they were still getting votes but we dropped out of it. So who knows!

I would hope so. Been following the polls myself and before our Loyola Marymount series, both teams were receiving votes in one poll (I think the coaches poll). Then after we won 2 out of 3, they were still getting votes but we dropped out of it. So who knows!

The Huskers will have an opportunity to make their case for being ranked in the games coming up. I am not really sure they have done so at this point. They have played a pretty weak schedule so far. They have only played two top 100 rpi teams and lost both games albeit closely. If we do well agains Texas and CSF, it will go a long way to getting some respect. Although CSF is only a .500 team right now, at least they are a "name" team.

So far overall... I think we should end up better than we were last year...

Our pitching looks to have settled on our 2nd and 3rd guy, and honestly until the past couple[weekends, our ace was struggling. With Hohensee out for a bit, it gave us a chance to build some depth and it looks like Howell is going to be a nice set-up man, we will get Hohensee back to be our other guy to lean on before handing the ball of to Roeder. Our mid-day starters still have something to prove in my opinion, but we have looked pretty good there so far against competition we should be dominating. However, Loyola Marymount is a good club, FGC made it to the tournament last year, UNLV is decent, and obviously LSU and A&M are who they usually are...

But it's going to come down to our offense like everyone has already mentioned. Boldt will be fine, Schleppenbach was a great addition to the leadoff spot, and I think now that we have settled on Alvarado in LF as opposed to Cox, that helps to have a more fluid lineup. During this 5 game home stand we have had, we are averaging seven runs a game, with only a 3 spot this past game that I think would have been more if we didn't have 3 starters out. Miller is seeing the ball a lot better and Headley hopefully comes back from his illness the same way. I think eventually we are going to hit a rough patch pitching and our bats will need to keep us in it just like our pitching kept us in some ball games early on. But with that being said, sometimes it's easier for the pitching to be ahead of the offense for these northern teams as pitching indoor or outdoor you can really get the same things done...

Hopefully this is Erstad's best team to date and we get a couple wins in a regional, heck, maybe we can make it out of one if we host?

The Huskers will have an opportunity to make their case for being ranked in the games coming up. I am not really sure they have done so at this point. They have played a pretty weak schedule so far. They have only played two top 100 rpi teams and lost both games albeit closely. If we do well agains Texas and CSF, it will go a long way to getting some respect. Although CSF is only a .500 team right now, at least they are a "name" team.
I agree that we haven't done enough to deserve it right now. Just pointing out that the polls can be funny and not very intuitive, especially this early in the season.

I agree that we haven't done enough to deserve it right now. Just pointing out that the polls can be funny and not very intuitive, especially this early in the season.

You are correct. Baseball is a tough sport to accurately poll.

Ok, a little off topic (sort of), but for those of you that have attended the home games, how do the cheerleaders fit in? Is it working out, or is it somewhat awkward to have cheerleaders for a baseball team? I believe this is the first year Nebraska is trying this (but I could be wrong on that). Just curious.

CABDv9lU8AEqsVp.jpg

Ok, a little off topic (sort of), but for those of you that have attended the home games, how do the cheerleaders fit in? Is it working out, or is it somewhat awkward to have cheerleaders for a baseball team? I believe this is the first year Nebraska is trying this (but I could be wrong on that). Just curious.

CABDv9lU8AEqsVp.jpg

Oh, I think I could work thru it! ;)

I havent seen a game, but based on the stat lines. box scores and and record, 12-6, 18 total games, and we have given up 4 or more runs only 4 times, so the pitching is doing really well so far, We have lost some 3-1 games.... the hitting will get better, but you cant replace good pitching. The future of the season looks good, I like our chances in the conference, to win a title.

As far as he hitting goes: first two games vs FGCU, we got 12 hits each game. I think, maybe, we ended up with 6 to 8? yesterday.

All together, not too shabby. As said, pitching has been pretty good.

Edit: Turns out, we had 7 hits on Sunday, for a total of 31 hits for the series. No bad! :)

Last edited:

CABDv9lU8AEqsVp.jpg

They don't, really. They basically stand on each dugout and do a couple of cheers. They also help with some of the promotions. I've been going to games for years and don't ever remember what is being called the "spring spirit squad". To each his own, but to me, despite the eye candy part, it's more awkward than working out.

probably about the only time including pretty girls could turn out to be a silly idea.....i'm all for pretty girls, but the spirit squad thing just doesn't jive with baseball.

Last edited:

No problem with it because it lets the team know they have a lot of fan support! So it may not help them directly but perhaps just give more team spirit which is a good thing imo.

probably about the only time including pretty girls could turn out to be a silly idea.....i'm all for pretty girls, but the spirit squad thing just doesn't jive with baseball.
I might have agreed with you, until I saw a piece on Utah Women's gymnastics. I now say think outside the box and turn the notion of what a baseball game is suppose to be like and make it fun for the crowd. I'm sure at one point, someone saw this idea as silly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/26/s...cs-meets-marketing-earns-high-scores-too.html
Utah’s Huntsman Center holds 15,000. But more than that were squeezing in to watch what was, on the schedule, just an ordinary conference dual meet with Stanford. The standing-room-only attendance was announced at 15,202.
Utah gymnastics has the highest average attendance in women’s college sports nearly every year, beating out the likes of Tennessee and Connecticut basketball, Nebraska and Hawaii volleyball, and Alabama and Georgia gymnastics, most of them quite easily. It vaults past professional women’s sports, too, like the W.N.B.A., where top teams hope to draw 10,000.

Marsden’s mantra is unchanged: Create a fast-moving event with no lulls, keep the audience informed of the score and let fans know that their enthusiasm creates an advantage.
The marketing model mirrors the N.B.A.’s. Utah’s gymnasts — nicknamed the Red Rocks, from a marketing campaign 20 years ago that stuck — are introduced with pyrotechnics, dramatic lighting and bass-heavy video production......... There are cheerleaders, a pep band and a student section.

[video]https://youtu.be/O_JxdGSlk2c[/video]

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back