• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Your impressions thus far....

NUFootballTim

Scout Team
15 Year Member
for those of you who follow the team more closely.....give me your impressions. are we good this year? better then last year?

I see all the threads about each game and the win/loss column, but I have yet to listen to or see a game this year. Give me your big picture perspective on the team thus far so the rest of us can catch up on how the BigRed is doing.

Last edited:

Lane from the radio today said this would be a 40+ win team. I don't see that...yet. They have some of the best pitching they have had in many years. Capable of shutting down powerhouses like LSU and A$M. But i dont think they have the offense to compete with the better teams in the country...yet. They will have 1 or 2 productive innings then go flat for the rest of the game. No HR power (.13/gm), no stolen base abilities (.93/gm), and poor base running decisions are issues.

The team has the athletes to compete with anyone, but will they?

:2cents:

Lane from the radio today said this would be a 40+ win team. I don't see that...yet. They have some of the best pitching they have had in many years. Capable of shutting down powerhouses like LSU and A$M. But i dont think they have the offense to compete with the better teams in the country...yet. They will have 1 or 2 productive innings then go flat for the rest of the game. No HR power (.13/gm), no stolen base abilities (.93/gm), and poor base running decisions are issues.

The team has the athletes to compete with anyone, but will they?

:2cents:

From what I have been able to listen to, I have to agree with most of what you said Ackos. Pitching is far better than just serviceable, but not dominating. On the good days they can shut anyone down, but, not as dominate as the day of Joba, Tony Watson or Shame Komine. The offense still is lacking in that IMP need a power threat in the middle. Someone that scares the living crap out of a pitcher because he can take a ball out of the park with a half hearted swing. A true home run threat could propel this team to a college world series berth. It is something that has been lacking for a long time. Small ball is great when you have a truly dominating pitching staff (like we had 5 or 6 years ago) but today not so much. I do not want to go back to "gorilla ball" which won't happen with composite bats that they use (versus the aluminum) but we do need a Home Run threat in the middle of our line up, or go to a total speed based offense like KC did and steal every base you can and create havoc that way to be able to score more runs.

but that is just my opinion, and I sure as heck ain't getting paid to make the decisions and am not the one trying to recruit to a cold weather (although not this early spring) location. I think Darin is doing pretty good.

Great pitching. Imo offense will get better with weather change. Should be a very good team

Great coaching we have will get us there.

Big 10 is improving so it will be tougher than first few years with just Indiana.

thanks for the impressions guys. exactly the type of info i was looking for.

So is Coach Erstad coaching small ball, or is that just what we are due to the lack of a homerun threat?

Our bats have to improve, good weather or not. As said, when we play the powerhouse teams, they'll kill us if we can't compete at the plate.

Our pitching has to be bullet proof if we don't hit. Tall order, for sure.

Just hoping the hitting improves. Could use some more dingers, too! :)

Great pitching. Imo offense will get better with weather change. Should be a very good team

Great coaching we have will get us there.

Big 10 is improving so it will be tougher than first few years with just Indiana.

I'd love to have this be true, but when have they played in bad weather? Vegas, Peoria, Houston, LA, Lincoln this week? Weather isn't holding the bats back. I want them to improve as much as anybody because this team could be damn good, but I don't think weather is the problem. I think Darby barely doing anything has hurt this lineup a lot. So many strikeouts and just a plummet down through the order. And Boldt not showing much power has hurt a bit too. Just those two things getting better could change the make-up of our lineup.

I can see us winning 40+ games and even uppers of 45, but, as others have stated, we absolutely need for our Bats to Come Alive. We have shown that we have the pitching, now we need to start pounding hit after hit and driving in run after run, while still having that good pitching. Kool-Aid on my part, maybe, but I think we have the coaching and the players to do it. GBR!!!!

Vinny, they have played in good weather but not able to practice in good weather at beginning.

Good point. Like I said I hope it's true and they warm up, just doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for this year as some past years.

Indeed! Hope the crowds keep showing up, and we finish this long homestand 16-0!

OK, question: if we win all the games at home this month, are we ranked?

I think we might. But, one never knows!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back