• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

You kept it going, 'till the sun fell down

Interesting. I didn't realize he was that old. Not a lot of classic rock singers left. RIP Ric.

Drive is one of my most hated songs of all time. Still, RIP man, that’s too young.

I love their synthy sound blended with the 80s guitar riffs. Have liked them since I was a kid. Just listened to Heartbeat City on Saturday, have several copies of that on vinyl. It's sad that it takes his death to remind everyone how great The Cars are.

RIP Ric.

RIP Ric, Personally I thought their albums got progressively worse. The debut is almost a perfect album. All the songs are good to great. Candy-O and Panarama good, but their last one became way more poppy and geared towards making good MTV videos. Sorry Rowdy other than Drive it is not a good album.

I much prefer the songs that Ben Orr sang vs Ocasek.

Again RIP Ric

RIP Ric, Personally I thought their albums got progressively worse. The debut is almost a perfect album. All the songs are good to great. Candy-O and Panarama good, but their last one became way more poppy and geared towards making good MTV videos. Sorry Rowdy other than Drive it is not a good album.

I much prefer the songs that Ben Orr sang vs Ocasek.

Again RIP Ric
The first album was a legit masterpiece. That's a blessing and a curse for a band. Nothing is ever going to live up to the debut. They could've quit there and been a legendary cult band like the Stone Roses, Modern Lovers, Rites of Spring, etc. Heartbeat City wasn't great but You Might Think and Magic are '80s pop anthems and were perfect for the time. I'm in the anti-Drive camp, but it's one of their most popular and endearing songs. In short, Heartbeat City is certainly not the artistic statement that the eponymous first album was, however, IMO, it holds up fine to other mainstream pop albums of the era.

The first album was a legit masterpiece. That's a blessing and a curse for a band. Nothing is ever going to live up to the debut. They could've quit there and been a legendary cult band like the Stone Roses, Modern Lovers, Rites of Spring, etc. Heartbeat City wasn't great but You Might Think and Magic are '80s pop anthems and were perfect for the time. I'm in the anti-Drive camp, but it's one of their most popular and endearing songs. In short, Heartbeat City is certainly not the artistic statement that the eponymous first album was, however, IMO, it holds up fine to other mainstream pop albums of the era.

Heartbeat City is all that you say it is, a mainstream pop album, didn't like it. It just doesn't fit what I think of as a Cars album. It is not "moody" enough for lack of a better term. Ric Ocasek head on a fly body is a bad image in my head. Drive, though not a personal favorite of mine, it fits more of what I think a Cars song should be. Drive could have been on any of the first 3 albums and fit in just fine.

It is not that I don't like like pop music, I just don't like what the Cars put out.

I didn't know Ocasek was that old. Born in 1944 that makes him 34 when the first Cars album is released. That is a lot of grinding before you make it. You have to admire that.

Heartbeat City is all that you say it is, a mainstream pop album, didn't like it. It just doesn't fit what I think of as a Cars album. It is not "moody" enough for lack of a better term. Ric Ocasek head on a fly body is a bad image in my head. Drive, though not a personal favorite of mine, it fits more of what I think a Cars song should be. Drive could have been on any of the first 3 albums and fit in just fine.

It is not that I don't like like pop music, I just don't like what the Cars put out.

I didn't know Ocasek was that old. Born in 1944 that makes him 34 when the first Cars album is released. That is a lot of grinding before you make it. You have to admire that.
I definitely agree that Heartbeat City wasn't as edgy or subversive as the first album. It is pretty crazy that he was that old when they broke. 34 is a dinosaur in the business these days. Hell, it was back then.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back