• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Year 7: Tim Miles

One Hit Wonder

Recruit
2 Year Member
It's Year 7 of the Tim Miles era. In the previous 6 seasons he only has two seasons with a winning record. 2 first round tournament knock outs (NCAA and NIT). A career record of 104-99 for a 51% winning record. He still makes "rookie coach" mistakes and mistakes that rookies don't make. His lack of ability to get a true "big man" in a conference that thrives on big men is disappointing. His recruiting is suspect and the roster has been a revolving door.

At $2.25MM per year, Nebraska fans should have higher expectations. Nebraska has some of the most beautiful on-campus facilities in the conference and in the country. Nebraska fans should have higher expectations. Tim Miles is the Mike Riley of college basketball.

I don't think it's premature to say it's time to start looking for a new coach. He may get his third winning this season but his overall body of work has been proven and he's hit his ceiling.

Blast away.

It's Year 7 of the Tim Miles era. In the previous 6 seasons he only has two seasons with a winning record. 2 first round tournament knock outs (NCAA and NIT). A career record of 104-99 for a 51% winning record. He still makes "rookie coach" mistakes and mistakes that rookies don't make. His lack of ability to get a true "big man" in a conference that thrives on big men is disappointing. His recruiting is suspect and the roster has been a revolving door.

At $2.25MM per year, Nebraska fans should have higher expectations. Nebraska has some of the most beautiful on-campus facilities in the conference and in the country. Nebraska fans should have higher expectations. Tim Miles is the Mike Riley of college basketball.

I don't think it's premature to say it's time to start looking for a new coach. He may get his third winning this season but his overall body of work has been proven and he's hit his ceiling.

Blast away.
I agree, limiting our consideration to just this season is pretty damning as well. This is definitely one of the more talent rich rosters we've had in years as is evidenced by Tim playing up to 9 guys in a given night, and we've lost two games. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason that we shouldn't be undefeated. Blowing the lead against Minnesota is particularly frustrating and emblematic of Miles' tenure so far.

I agree, limiting our consideration to just this season is pretty damning as well. This is definitely one of the more talent rich rosters we've had in years as is evidenced by Tim playing up to 9 guys in a given night, and we've lost two games. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason that we shouldn't be undefeated. Blowing the lead against Minnesota is particularly frustrating and emblematic of Miles' tenure so far.
Blowing the lead was bad, but Minnesota is a solid team, playing in a pretty emotional moment. It can happen, but I wasn’t a fan of the lack of any type of adjustment.

I’d also point out, I think Tech is an excellent team, so that loss wasn’t a big surprise.

As I pointed out in previous threads, the "Tim Miles Enigma" isn't the team this year, which is senior laden, its what happens in the years following. Miles has shown he can't develop young talent, and is relying on a experienced roster to win.

Say Miles goes to the NCAA's this year (which this team should), is this delaying the inevitable of his firing after next year???

I feel if the Huskers somehow do not make the tournament this year Miles is gone. Sure the conference is stacked with great competition this year, but with the level of experienced talent on this team, anything less would be a huge disappointment.

It's scary to think about the likely set back that will come next year after Palmer, Copeland, and Watson leave. Besides Allen, I just don't see any significant performance from the underclassman, and some of that has to do with Miles and lack of development.

I feel if the Huskers somehow do not make the tournament this year Miles is gone. Sure the conference is stacked with great competition this year, but with the level of experienced talent on this team, anything less would be a huge disappointment.

It's scary to think about the likely set back that will come next year after Palmer, Copeland, and Watson leave. Besides Allen, I just don't see any significant performance from the underclassman, and some of that has to do with Miles and lack of development.
Nana and Roby are likely to return, based on current performance. Heiman has another year of getting stronger too.

Last edited:

I'm trying not to let my bias from prior years cloud my judgement too much. We are 7-2, 1-1 in the B1G, so it's not like we are pulling a Riley and falling apart immediately. Miles has some nice pieces on the table, he just needs to manage them a little better. I'm not sure they are prepared for times when it gets tough. That's not saying they are soft, that just means they don't have a 'go to' beyond trying to better your man one on one. To be honest, no one should care who is the better man, they need to decide how to be the better team. If screening (and I do mean screening) off the ball for Copeland, Nana, Roby, whoever, is going to get them a little cleaner look at the basket, then start setting REAL screens. The motion offense everyone seems in love with, is the main reason officials are concentrating on calling the moving screens. I haven't seen more than a dozen true screens in all the basketball I've watched this year, but I've seen a couple of hundred of those wonderful matador screens, that are never really set, never really stop a defenders progress, and rarely create true space for the man trying to use the screen.

That's my offensive whining session. As for the defense, I would show Roby every blocked shot he had LAST year. That's when I saw him spending more time being a help side defender, which allowed him to be the sniper who swatted guys on drives. We are getting so many teams just dropping the shoulder and driving right into the middle of a defender for buckets or fouls. We need Roby out of the middle, where he doesn't get to really use that great explosiveness. Let him be the guy who times the block from 5 steps away, instead of the man in the middle trying to protect the rim. That's not his game.

Last edited:

Not 100% sold on Lue, but I'd actually love for Lue to take over the reigns. I wanted so bad for Miles to succeed, but he just doesn't have it. Call a time out Miles, call a damn time out. Any ways, Miles makes it to the tourney and goes one and done, I believe he is done at Nebraska. If he coaches us to our very first tourney win, he hangs around as the HC, if he doesn't, I believe Moos parts ways and looks for a new HC.

Fastest coach in ISU history to 100 wins? No doubt, he’d be at the top of the list. I think the world of Lue, but Fred has lived the college coaching experience.

Yep, that's the difference.

The Mayor was a very accomplished college coach at Iowa State. He proved his meddle ... won the Big 12 Tournament twice (his last two seasons in Ames) ... won 23 games or more his final four seasons ... lost in the Sweet Sixteen by 5 points to eventual national champs, UConn in 2014 ...

So what if he failed in the NBA? As we know, most NBA coaches aren't suited for college coaching and most college coaches aren't suited for the NBA.

If Hoiberg wants to return to college coaching, there will be a long line begging for his services.

And yes, I also think the world of Tyronn Lue. But he'd be a much greater risk as college coach than Fred Hoiberg.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back