• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Year 5 Of Erstad And

In a roundabout way, you are saying what I have said about all of our athletic programs for years. We have to grow our own. Two of the names you mentioned were from Lincoln, and the third was a lightly recruited player from Hawaii.

Baseball is a very difficult collegiate sport to excel in when you are a northern school. Not impossible, but very difficult. Most of the top recruits from the warm weather states want to go to a warm weather school. If you look at the rosters of most of our past great teams in baseball and other sports, many of the big contributors were from Nebraska.

Yes, we need to recruit nationally, but we really need to develop some excellent high school athletes in Nebraska, and then recruit them to Lincoln.

I think we all understand what you are saying about Northern schools, but ALL of the schools in the B1G are northern. I'm talking about at the least ​being in the top echelon of the Big 10 year in and year out

I think we all understand what you are saying about Northern schools, but ALL of the schools in the B1G are northern. I'm talking about at the least ​being in the top echelon of the Big 10 year in and year out

Well, I will wait and see how the season plays out. I don't get too excited one way or the other with pre-season polls.

Neither do I, but with what Nebraska has lost , and what they have coming back , it's not looking good . Who knows maybe Erstad will surprise

Well, I think Darin has come a long way. Sadly, recruiting is tough, no one wanting to practice preseason in cold and snow!

I just hope I/we can hang in there, this season. :confused:

Just have to wait and see, I guess. :popcorn:

Looks like, the teams have gone to a huge format, to show their rosters. I have them attached, so I can spell some of these names correctly, if possible. :)

Let's just try to have fun today, because.........................BASEBALL IS BACK!!!

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME.............................................:popcorn: :banana: :cheers:

Well, he said it was because his wife was from Arkansas and she wanted to get closer to home. I tend to think that being in a little better recruiting area probably was at least a tiny factor in the decision.
Bingo! It's easier to recruit in the south, and you consistently find far more talented players.

Ill give it a rest when we hire a real baseball coach.

No, the positions aren't a lock, but it is letting you know what the B1G thinks of Erstads Huskers, and that is, "not much"

Remember when we entered the B1G and thought baseball dominance was a given?
You will never give it a rest. We've had one guy who took us to the big show throughout our entire history, but you maintain that we should always be there. You live in a dream world.

Maybe you thought baseball dominance was a given.

Erstad knows the game better than any one of us, and major league experience speaks volumes imo. He is a baseball coach.

Last edited:
You will never give it a rest. We've had one guy who took us to the big show throughout our entire history, but you maintain that we should always be there. You live in a dream world.

Erstad knows the game better than any one of us, and major league experience speaks volumes imo. He is a baseball coach.

:thumbsup: I like Darin. He is a sharp man. :)

Great post!

Well, he said it was because his wife was from Arkansas and she wanted to get closer to home. I tend to think that being in a little better recruiting area probably was at least a tiny factor in the decision.

I don't remember his wife being from Arkansas (although I don't doubt it), but I remember he also said it was a difficult decision for him to make because he fell in love with NU baseball during his time at NU. He had also graduated from Arkansas, had played baseball for the Razorbacks, and that it was the one (and only) place he would leave NU for to coach elsewhere; that if it had been any other college, he never would have left.

And yes, the AD made a HUGE mistake by not keeping Childress. HUGE.

I don't remember his wife being from Arkansas (although I don't doubt it), but I remember he also said it was a difficult decision for him to make because he fell in love with NU baseball during his time at NU. He had also graduated from Arkansas, had played baseball for the Razorbacks, and that it was the one (and only) place he would leave NU for to coach elsewhere; that if it had been any other college, he never would have left.

And yes, the AD made a HUGE mistake by not keeping Childress. HUGE.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back