• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Yale v. NU - Corvallis Regional - 6/2/17

I think you are just frustrated, as a lot of folks are, because we all want to see NU succeed. There is no way Coach Erstad or any of the leaders on that team took Yale for granted - there is no such luxury in the tournament, teams are there for a reason.

Baseball is a funny game. Coached a long time, there are days when stuff just doesn't work. Players can get tense when things don't go well, and if there isn't enough resolve in enough players on the squad to pull themselves out of a funk, the tension spreads throughout the dugout. Doesn't happen all the time, but it happens, and I am not necessarily referring to slumps.

Guys aren't relaxed, patience at the plate suffers and they swing at pitches they shouldn't. Or they swing without conviction. Or, worse yet, they try to coerce a base on balls to make something happen and lose any remaining positive aggression at the plate. Baseball, in general, lends itself to overthinking things - I did not see the game, but even if I did I wouldn't necessarily try to analyze the mentality in the dugout today; there are too many opportunities throughout the course of 9 innings for a team that is inconsistent offensively to create their own demons.

Nebraska has been prone to offensive woes all season long ... today's effort came at a very inopportune time. Gotta get it done tomorrow.

I agree.

NU has underachieved so many times in postseason games in recent years, there's no way they could have taken Yale for granted.

But there does seem to be something mental going on.

I think you worded it quite well.

Last edited:
I agree.

NU has underachieved so many times in postseason games in recent years, there's no way they could have taken Yale for granted.

But there does seem to be something mental going on.

No doubt. I've seen talented teams rally from seemingly unsurmountable deficits in the late innings, been part of comebacks on both sides of the ledger that felt like they probably shouldn't have happened. I've also seen the same teams flat as a nickel and not worth much more, losing to a team it should have owned and put away early ... in those situations, when everyone is scuffling, guys press all the more.

Anybody happen to catch the body language today?

Politz (a righty) came into today with nice numbers -- against mostly subpar competition. 3.47 ERA. Opponent batting average of 263.

We go out and hit .182 and score one run in 9 innings against him.

I see he's from Austin, TX ... so I can find him when the season is over and let him know my displeasure.

No doubt. I've seen talented teams rally from seemingly unsurmountable deficits in the late innings, been part of comebacks on both sides of the ledger that felt like they probably shouldn't have happened. I've also seen the same teams flat as a nickel and not worth much more, losing to a team it should have owned and put away early ... in those situations, when everyone is scuffling, guys press all the more.

They showed snippets of the dugout. Not enough to gauge much, but I noticed Erstad and Silva were at the far end, like usual, then there was a big gap before the first player.

Last edited:

Yes! Here is a photo: :Bananalazy:

Politz (a righty) came into today with nice numbers -- against mostly subpar competition. 3.47 ERA. Opponent batting average of 263.

We go out and hit .182 and score one run in 9 innings against him.

I see he's from Austin, TX ... so I can find him when the season is over and let him know my displeasure.
So you can make his day, again? ;)

Made the trip down from Vancouver Wa to root for the Huskers today. There was a big difference in the energy levels of the two teams from the start of the game. Yale seemed fired up and ready to play. Nebraska was slow out of the gate and never matched their energy level. Yale batters were getting deep into counts against Jake and made him throw a lot of pitches early. It looked like he couldn't locate his curveball so they waited and made him pay. I kept thinking we would rally but the Yale pitcher kept lead off batters off base and threw strikes. Nebraska got robbed of at least 3 hits by great plays and had some bounces go against them. Team was flat. Hope they can turn things around tomorrow and get another chance at Yale and get by them for a shot at OSU to salvage this trip. GBR!

Watching the Ore St game.
Just heard, for the entire season, Ore St pitchers have era of.....1.98!! Yikes! :Whiteflag:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back