• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Xmas Prime Rib

BasilLongfellow

Starter
10 Year Member
I tried it on my own this year.

I did two 4 lb prime ribs. They both turned out awesome.

Number 1:

I seasoned it the night before in an oven bag with a rub made of a generous squeeze of Dijon mustard, a generous dashing of Worcestershire sauce, 5 cloves of mashed garlic, generous rosemary needles and generous thyme. Then I sprinkled generic beef seasoning over it, patting the sides and ends. I did not season the bottom. I let it sit overnight.

I let the meat sit for 30 minutes in the sun to come to room temperature

I preheated the smoker to full blast, between 380 and 450 degrees and flashed it for 20 minutes. I turned it down to 225 then. i cooked it for 3 hours until internal temp was 120 then wrapped in foil and left it on grill because the other prime rib was not done yet. It stayed on for 2 more hours.

I let it rest for 30 minutes.

Number 2:

I generously dashed red wine vinegar, about a cup of parsley, generous rosemary, 5 cloves of chopped garlic and about a 1/2 cup of olive oil. I pureed the rub in the blender, then rubbed. I rubbed the prime rib then let it sit overnight in the oven bag.

I also let the meat sit for 30 minutes in the sun to come to room temp. Then I rubbed it with generic beef rub.

I did not flash this meat. When the smoker cooled to 225, I put the Prime Rib on a grate in the smoker over a baking pan filled with Beef Broth. It cooked for about 5 hours.

I let it rest for 30 minutes.

Here's how it started:

aaStart.jpg

Here's how number 1, the prime rib on the right, turned out:

aanumber 1.jpg

Here's how number 2, the prime rib on the left, turned out:

aanumber 2.jpg

Number 1 was zesty, but still good. Number 2 was absolutely ridiculously good. Cooking it over the beef broth is how I'm going to do it from now on.

Sorry, Had a picture of a prime rib I did but, can't seem to get it the picture to load!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back