• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Xavier Johnson > decommit to Pitt! > Transfer Portal > Indiana

Josh Peterson LOL

Miles could probably land a decent mid-major job right now. Not like a New Mexico perhaps, but maybe a decent Mid-American or MAC school. If he has another 20+ win season and wins in the dance, he might be able to get a good mid-major job. At that point though, Nebraska should try to retain.
I actually think he’d jump if offered a solid mid major job. It’s obvious no one is heaping praises on him internally, and he’s got a serious uphill battle to face year in and year out in the B1G. Yes, it’s a P5 job, and he’s got great facilities, but it is Lincoln Nebraska. If he wants a longer term contract, a little less competition, maybe not playing second (or third) fiddle from a sports team standpoint, and possibly live somewhere more attractive for his family, he could jump ship. That would also give him some satisfaction that he left by his own choice, and not get shown the door, a bit of an extended middle finger to the AD and others.

I actually think he’d jump if offered a solid mid major job. It’s obvious no one is heaping praises on him internally, and he’s got a serious uphill battle to face year in and year out in the B1G. Yes, it’s a P5 job, and he’s got great facilities, but it is Lincoln Nebraska. If he wants a longer term contract, a little less competition, maybe not playing second (or third) fiddle from a sports team standpoint, and possibly live somewhere more attractive for his family, he could jump ship. That would also give him some satisfaction that he left by his own choice, and not get shown the door, a bit of an extended middle finger to the AD and others.
Still pretty young by coaching standards but there's something to be said to going to a place like CU pre-big east and, if you're reasonably successful, cashing million dollar paychecks for the rest of your life. Creighton hit the "jackpot" twice by nabbing guys that had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel in the Big 8/12. I don't think Miles is as good as either one of those guys but he could have a nice career back at a place like Colo St....speaking of which...did they ever get their crap together?

That said, if NU does go dancing and wins a game Moos wouldn't have much choice but to offer a 4 or 5 year extension at a nice raise. And there's little chance Miles walks away from 5 years at $2.5M+ to take a job that pays around $1M. And I would be blown away if he got an offer at a program that would be seen as a step up from Nebraska. If Miles made the dance every 3rd year he could retire from Nebraska a very wealthy man.

Scenarios for Moos

1. Miles leaves for another job: best
2. Miles get an NCAA birth and has a nice year but recruits no one of substance again: worst

If option 2 happens, Moos HAS to have the balls to not extend 4-5 years. Unless he’s going to rely on transfers, the roster is going to look Collier-bad.

Scenarios for Moos

1. Miles leaves for another job: best
2. Miles get an NCAA birth and has a nice year but recruits no one of substance again: worst

If option 2 happens, Moos HAS to have the balls to not extend 4-5 years. Unless he’s going to rely on transfers, the roster is going to look Collier-bad.

If option 2 happens, Moos will look like a complete tool and join the large fraternity of Nebraska Athletic Directors who have made Nebraska basketball the monstrosity that it is today.

If I'm Miles, I'm thinking I'm gone no matter what next season.

I would too. If he has a bad or average season, he's fired. If he has a good season, he should leverage it to get another job. I've made it a life goal to never get fired from a job, but I don't make $2 million, either. Nearly every basketball coach either has been or will be fired. A lot could be said for taking a year off while Nebraska pays out the reminder of the contract, or at least half of it. I dunno, I guess like Ed Sheeran, I'm just thinking out loud.

Here's my biggest fear. There's only probably a 10% chance of this happening, but it's Nebraska basketball, so worst case scenarios usually come true (although this would be pretty awesome so maybe not all bad). Everyone comes back for Nebraska, they get a good grad transfer, and one of their freshman from last year develops into a good player. They make the NCAA tourney and win a game, perhaps even win two. The core Nebraska fan base is ready to erect a statue of Tim Miles outside the PBA and Miles wants to keep it going in Lincoln. Moos gives him a 5-year extension but has basically fu**ked us in two recruiting classes and Miles tanks the next two years.

Last edited:

...but it certainly won’t help.
No, it definitely won't. You still have to weigh the factors for the long term health of the program. A couple of years of possible recruiting challenges aren't ideal, but IF a new coach became a reality, that could be a spark that actually lands us a few guys that we wouldn't generally get. Or we could see an improvement in player and team development. Recruits are great, but if we don't keep them, or develop them fully, the impact isn't what some suggest it is.

Everyone was so high and mighty on the opinion coach miles/ad bill mooz/state of the program bs, we stopped watching the subject of the thread.

I know decommits rarely go back but you never know (Guy Thomas went for a visit to pitt and came back). In this article he says he still has Nebraska tied for number 1.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsb...uard-xavier-johnson-recaps-visit-to-pitt/amp/

Also Pitt just signed a freshman pg

Last edited:
Everyone was so high and mighty on the opinion coach miles/ad bill mooz/state of the program bs, we stopped watching the subject of the thread.

I know decommits rarely go back but you never know (Guy Thomas went for a visit to pitt and came back). In this article he says he still has Nebraska tied for number 1.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsb...uard-xavier-johnson-recaps-visit-to-pitt/amp/

Also Pitt just signed a freshman pg
Wait, there was a subject?

All-Devaney_ph34r.png
Pitt it is!

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball-20182/CompositeTeamRankings

recruiting rankings:

7) Maryland
10) michigan
14) miss st
16) Mich St
21) Indiana
22) Ill
23) Ohio St
24) NW
37) Minn
40) Rutgers
41) Purdue
55) Iowa
59) Penn St
66) Wisc
101) NU

This supports the point I tried to make previously. Johnson is one player, one signee that took us from acceptable to a joke in our own conference by decommitting. This is how simple it is to make a difference in recruiting, one player can make a big difference. Johnson is a nice player, but he isn’t going to Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Villanova or even Michigan. He isn’t a top target of every top school, he’s a very good player, but not being pursed by top programs. He’s a 3* guard, yet he’s a guy several felt was symbolic of why we needed to extend Miles’ contract.

It bothers me we felt losing a 3* was justification for paying $2 million plus, yet ignored any new coach could bring similarly ranked players starting day one, not 2 seasons of relationship building, but day one. Just take a look at the school he committed to. A new coach coming into a very shaky situation filled with decommits and transfers, yet they attracted a guy we thought would be a difference maker. Basketball is simply a different creature than football when we look at recruiting and building a team.

Last edited:

Remember that time Nebraska recruited a guy who made an impact as a freshman, and got better each year? Ended up all conference, and was drafted into the NBA where he had a decent if not flashy career.

Maybe I'm just dreaming. Seems like it has been possible to get players to Nebraska in the past. With Miles it seems like everything has to fall in place perfectly rather than "things will be okay because we know what we are doing". Maybe that's just the way it looks from here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back