• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Xavier Johnson > decommit to Pitt! > Transfer Portal > Indiana

Yep. That's not to say that Moos isn't a quality AD, but hiring Scott Frost was no major challenge. What he does with the basketball and baseball programs will test his mettle.

Really, Considering the last 10 years I would suggest that it was more of a challenge than going out and hiring most of other coaches to come coach Husker football

Really, Considering the last 10 years I would suggest that it was more of a challenge than going out and hiring most of other coaches to come coach Husker football

I disagree.

Actually, if anything, the last ten years should want a homegrown Husker to want even more to come back and rescue his school.

I disagree.

Actually, if anything, the last ten years should want a homegrown Husker to want even more to come back and rescue his school.
Totally agree. Moos could only have ***** this up. It was teed up for him.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Moos could only have ***** this up. It was teed up for him.
He didn’t. He actually helped make this decision, a decision that was more difficult than you want to give credit even by Frost’s own admission, as smooth as possible. He didn’t micromanage the staffing decisions, even though he is on the hook for a 50 million dollar commitment. He has graciously stayed in the background and let Frost enjoy the limelight, even taking a backseat to TO being far more visible of late.

You are selling his influence far too short, and I can’t imagine why. If it’s because of this Miles thing, that’s a pretty sorry reason. We had a nice season, but fizzled when things mattered...again. Last year was one of the more pathetic efforts I recall seeing. The inability to recruit AND keep players to develop a cohesive group has been a yearly thing for TM.

‘So fire him’, some of you say. Well, I’m sure it’s not because that thought didn’t cross our ADs mind. But the kind of hire Moos is looking for isn’t there at the moment. There are plenty of reasons that might be the case. It could be a family situation that a prospective coach doesn’t want to uproot a family at the moment. It could be a class of kids he wants to finish another season with. It could be a new coach isn’t liking the idea of coming in on a 22 win season. Or it could even be that Moos as yet doesn’t have a strong enough relationship to sway the guy he wants.

I’d prefer we weren’t in this position, but I’m also not concerned with the possibility we burn a season. I’ve been a Nebraska basketball fan since I first watched my dad and Buss Whitehead playing in an alumni game. That continued through playing pickup games with Allen Holder, Carl McPipe and Andre Smith in the Coluseum, and summer leagues with Greg Downing. I deeply respect the program, but I also believe we have underachieved because we didn’t have an AD who felt it could be something better. I think Moos does. This decision is about expecting more, not just accepting an occasional 20 win season.

Last edited:

He didn’t. He actually helped make this decision, a decision that was more difficult than you want to give credit even by Frost’s own admission, as smooth as possible. He didn’t micromanage the staffing decisions, even though he is on the hook for a 50 million dollar commitment. He has graciously stayed in the background and let Frost enjoy the limelight, even taking a backseat to TO being far more visible of late.

You are selling his influence far too short, and I can’t imagine why. If it’s because of this Miles thing, that’s a pretty sorry reason. We had a nice season, but fizzled when things mattered...again. Last year was one of the more pathetic efforts I recall seeing. The inability to recruit AND keep players to develop a cohesive group has been a yearly thing for TM.

‘So fire him’, some of you say. Well, I’m sure it’s not because that thought didn’t cross our ADs mind. But the kind of hire Moos is looking for isn’t there at the moment. There are plenty of reasons that might be the case. It could be a family situation that a prospective coach doesn’t want to uproot a family at the moment. It could be a class of kids he wants to finish another season with. It could be a new coach isn’t liking the idea of coming in on a 22 win season. Or it could even be that Moos as yet doesn’t have a strong enough relationship to sway the guy he wants.

I’d prefer we weren’t in this position, but I’m also not concerned with the possibility we burn a season. I’ve been a Nebraska basketball fan since I first watched my dad and Buss Whitehead playing in an alumni game. That continued through playing pickup games with Allen Holder, Carl McPipe and Andre Smith in the Coluseum, and summer leagues with Greg Downing. I deeply respect the program, but I also believe we have underachieved because we didn’t have an AD who felt it could be something better. I think Moos does. This decision is about expecting more, not just accepting an occasional 20 win season.

I agree that Moos's best move in hiring Frost was doing very little. And yes, having Osborne reach out to Frost on multiple occasions likely had much more impact that anything Moos could have done. No doubt, Pederson or Eichorst would have screwed up that hire. Most competent AD's would have understood the best approach, especially understanding the relationship between Osborne and Frost.

Again, I think most Husker fans understand the approach with Miles.

My point (not that you were replying to me), remains that finding (if necessary) quality replacements for Miles and/or Erstad will be much more of a challenge for Moos than Frost.

I agree that Moos's best move in hiring Frost was doing very little. And yes, having Osborne reach out to Frost on multiple occasions likely had much more impact that anything Moos could have done. No doubt, Pederson or Eichorst would have screwed up that hire. Most competent AD's would have understood the best approach, especially understanding the relationship between Osborne and Frost.

Again, I think most Husker fans understand the approach with Miles.

My point (not that you were replying to me), remains that finding (if necessary) quality replacements for Miles and/or Erstad will be much more of a challenge for Moos than Frost.
I understand your point, and feel that Moos (along with the leadership of Green and Bounds) in a short period, established a great deal of confidence in the Athletic Department, and with Tom Osborne and Matt Davison. That didn’t happen by just stepping back. Ozzy saw something promising enough to encourage Frost to come back and take a job he knew would be a huge challenge and disruption to Frost’s life. TO doesn’t do things like that casually.

And yes, Moos is going to have other hills to climb in other possible hiring. And I’ve read some of the comments that Moos should get on board or he should have hired someone new. I’m actually very happy he didn’t fire Miles. Miles earned another year with 22 wins. I wasn’t sure about an extension, and was very much against anything long term, but a year is tolerable.

Now comes to how I assume someone with Moos’ experience views finding the best candidates. I look at how I look at people and positions. I’ve been in the Insurance industry a fair portion of my life. I’ve worked from California to Florida, for some of the largest companies, and for smaller regionals. I’ve met a ton of people, and made some solid professional connections. When someone says they are looking for a product person, or sales manager, or analyst, I know plenty of quality people in those positions. But not all would fit in a start up regional. Not all would do well in a large national focusing on the gulf states. I think Moos is going to look at things in a similar manner. Someone who is a fit for Oregon, fits the culture, fits the fan base, fits the PAC, may not be a great fit as coach of Nebraska in the B1G. He may not have that relationship in his arsenal yet. He might be working as we speak at developing or firming up relationships for several positions as the needs arise.

People talk about how approachable Moos is, and how he manages, but doesn’t micromanage. The reason most people micromanage is they don’t trust the person they tasked with the job. Moos builds relationships, and that builds the trust. I think that’s his strength, and I believe Ozzy saw that as well. The good doctor is pretty good at analyzing people.

I understand your point, and feel that Moos (along with the leadership of Green and Bounds) in a short period, established a great deal of confidence in the Athletic Department, and with Tom Osborne and Matt Davison. That didn’t happen by just stepping back. Ozzy saw something promising enough to encourage Frost to come back and take a job he knew would be a huge challenge and disruption to Frost’s life. TO doesn’t do things like that casually.

And yes, Moos is going to have other hills to climb in other possible hiring. And I’ve read some of the comments that Moos should get on board or he should have hired someone new. I’m actually very happy he didn’t fire Miles. Miles earned another year with 22 wins. I wasn’t sure about an extension, and was very much against anything long term, but a year is tolerable.

Now comes to how I assume someone with Moos’ experience views finding the best candidates. I look at how I look at people and positions. I’ve been in the Insurance industry a fair portion of my life. I’ve worked from California to Florida, for some of the largest companies, and for smaller regionals. I’ve met a ton of people, and made some solid professional connections. When someone says they are looking for a product person, or sales manager, or analyst, I know plenty of quality people in those positions. But not all would fit in a start up regional. Not all would do well in a large national focusing on the gulf states. I think Moos is going to look at things in a similar manner. Someone who is a fit for Oregon, fits the culture, fits the fan base, fits the PAC, may not be a great fit as coach of Nebraska in the B1G. He may not have that relationship in his arsenal yet. He might be working as we speak at developing or firming up relationships for several positions as the needs arise.

People talk about how approachable Moos is, and how he manages, but doesn’t micromanage. The reason most people micromanage is they don’t trust the person they tasked with the job. Moos builds relationships, and that builds the trust. I think that’s his strength, and I believe Ozzy saw that as well. The good doctor is pretty good at analyzing people.

Why on earth would anyone refer to Tom Osborne as "Ozzy?" Is that what Nancy calls Tom? I don't recall his former players referring to Osborne with this nickname. ;)

I'm sure the "fire Miles" comments exist here and everyone. Though again, I think that's a minority. However, I think a majority have concerns about Miles. I can relate with "very happy" Moos didn't fire Miles. There's nothing about Miles in the past few years that makes me "very happy." But I certainly understand bringing him back for next season. No need to make a move simply for the sake of making a move.

Why on earth would anyone refer to Tom Osborne as "Ozzy?" Is that what Nancy calls Tom? I don't recall his former players referring to Osborne with this nickname. ;)

I'm sure the "fire Miles" comments exist here and everyone. Though again, I think that's a minority. However, I think a majority have concerns about Miles. I can relate with "very happy" Moos didn't fire Miles. There's nothing about Miles in the past few years that makes me "very happy." But I certainly understand bringing him back for next season. No need to make a move simply for the sake of making a move.

Reverting to my junior high Black Sabbath phase released my inner Ozzy...my bad.

Moos just doesn’t strike me as someone who will feel overwhelmingly motivated to make hires, just to ‘put his stamp’ on everything in the program. His stamp could very well be helping Miles development and maturation as a leader of the basketball program. Seeing talent in someone is one thing, developing that talent is quite another.

I’d love to see Miles develop the areas he’s needing to. If Moos can get Miles to recognize those, and do the things he needs to to improve them, we could have a great long term answer as coach of the program. But if Miles doesn’t improve, then we need to move on. Miles has proven, just like Riley did, that we can get highly rated talent to take a look at us. Miles improved the talent over the two prior staffs, so he’s shown aggressive recruiting can get results. Now we need that to translate to a product that exceeds the sum of the parts on the court.

Last edited:

Reverting to my junior high Black Sabbath phase released my inner Ozzy...my bad.

Moos just doesn’t strike me as someone who will feel overwhelmingly motivated to make hires, just to ‘put his stamp’ on everything in the program. His stamp could very well be helping Miles development and maturation as a leader of the basketball program. Seeing talent in someone is one thing, developing that talent is quite another.

I’d love to see Miles develop the areas he’s needing to. If Moos can get Miles to recognize those, and do the things he needs to to improve them, we could have a great long term answer as coach of the program. But if Miles doesn’t improve, then we need to move on. Miles has proven, just like Riley did, that we can get highly rated talent to take a look at us. Miles improved the talent over the two prior staffs, so he’s shown aggressive recruiting can get results. Now we need that to translate to a product that exceeds the sum of the parts on the court.

I agree with your take on Moos. He's not in it to put his stamp on it.

Miles definitely has reeled in better overall talent than either Doc or Collier. Granted, it's a much different recruiting game now than it was 5-15 years ago. Miles' success in recruiting comes mostly with transfers. But as a result, it's been a revolving door of players like we've never seen at Nebraska. There's obvious positives and negatives with this approach.

So now barfneck and a couple people onnthe radio are whining about a 1 year extension.

What is the difference really. Even with a 2 year everyone still knew Miles would be on the hotseat. That includes opposing coaches and they will surely inform recruits. And it isnt like parents of recruits are stupid. It would be EASY to find cases of coaches with 3 years remaining (which would be the case with miles next March if he got a 2 yr extension now) getting fired. Contracts don't mean much of anything anymore so this is all much ado about nothing.

Josh Peterson on 1620 fretted about Miles being hired away should he win a game in the dance next year. Something he has never done in 11 years as a mid to high major coach. Sure. It could happen. But who will come calling? Certainly he'd only leave for a "better" job. Fans of a better program would riot if Tim Miles were hired.

I am in favor of Miles going and finding a better fit. The only job that I think he really wants more than Nebraska is Notre Dame. I don't know that he'll get that opportunity, but Nebraska is about as good a fit from Miles' side as there is going to be. I don't know that Miles is the best fit from Nebraska's side - need to have someone who can recruit and coach against a pretty good set of conference coaches. He's definitely got a big enough personality. I just wish we were pulling and developing freshmen that go on to be in the discussion for all conference. The only player that seems like he might be on that path is Roby.

As a Nebraska fan, I feel guilty asking for anything better than Miles, knowing that he is arguably the best coach we've had since Nee or Iba. Some day maybe the basketball team will break through... also some day I will die. I hope the former comes before the latter.

As a Nebraska fan, I feel guilty asking for anything better than Miles, knowing that he is arguably the best coach we've had since Nee or Iba. Some day maybe the basketball team will break through... also some day I will die. I hope the former comes before the latter.

Considering the comps are Collier amd Sadler.... ;)

Josh Peterson on 1620 fretted about Miles being hired away should he win a game in the dance next year. Something he has never done in 11 years as a mid to high major coach. Sure. It could happen. But who will come calling? Certainly he'd only leave for a "better" job. Fans of a better program would riot if Tim Miles were hired.

Josh Peterson LOL

Miles could probably land a decent mid-major job right now. Not like a New Mexico perhaps, but maybe a decent Mid-American or MAC school. If he has another 20+ win season and wins in the dance, he might be able to get a good mid-major job. At that point though, Nebraska should try to retain.

There really isn't anything perplexing about Timmy's future. He gets into the NCAAs and he continues to coach at NU. He doesn't, he's gone. I suppose, there is the rare possibility he wins 22-24 games and doesn't make the tourney again, but that's supremely unlikely. If that happens, he better hope he's reloaded the roster with transfers because he ain't recruiting HS without Hunter and without the big 3, our roster resembles UMKC.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back