• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Xavier Johnson > decommit to Pitt! > Transfer Portal > Indiana

It seems that Moos isn't the AD genius that many made him out to be.

Why? Because he didn't jump on a replacement he wasn't excited about? Because he didn't pander to a bunch of bedwetting fans who lose their minds when we have a recruit back out? I'm sure this isn't his first choice in moving into next year, but he isn't hitting the panic button and potentially throwing money down the drain just to calm people who won't remember this day in a year or two.

Why? Because he didn't jump on a replacement he wasn't excited about? Because he didn't pander to a bunch of bedwetting fans who lose their minds when we have a recruit back out? I'm sure this isn't his first choice in moving into next year, but he isn't hitting the panic button and potentially throwing money down the drain just to calm people who won't remember this day in a year or two.
Because he cut the program at the knees and then wants to see how it runs the race. He basically gave the head coach a vote of no confidence which if he feels that way, he should have moved on from Miles. Instead, he has poisoned the well making it not only harder to keep recruits/staff but when the current staff ultimately fails, the new staff will be further in the hole.

Because he cut the program at the knees and then wants to see how it runs the race. He basically gave the head coach a vote of no confidence which if he feels that way, he should have moved on from Miles. Instead, he has poisoned the well making it not only harder to keep recruits/staff but when the current staff ultimately fails, the new staff will be further in the hole.
Miles didn't earn another guaranteed 4 million dollars. Miles certainly could earn that if he actually puts together a solid year, but you folks with the notion that we have to keep all things smooth for a coach or the world comes to an end are wrong, and really generous with other people's money. Moos isn't poisoning the well, the problems are the byproduct of a business decision not to reward a .500 coach with what would potentially be an 8 million dollar buy out...and what is that supposed to guarantee us? Are we going to have a program that is consistently winning 20+ games? Are we making regular trips to the NCAAs? Have we seen either one of those yet?

And before you get on some rant about the need to cut Miles loose if we weren't going to support him, I'll remind you that in order to achieve the level of play I suggest, we need someone who can bring that. Moos very likely had a conversation with at least one candidate, and I'm guessing most knew who that was. He apparently said this wasn't the right time. If more than one did, and Moos didn't like the others he has on a short list, then I'm very happy he didn't put us in a position of doing a panic hire that could potentially put us in a position of paying off 2 former coaches in a couple of years. Let's see how the year plays out, let Moos work on some relationship building, see if Miles can put together back to back years, and see if someone in the coaching field distinguishes themselves to the point they attract our attention. Who knows, our best option might be finishing up a very successful career in a different league, planning to take next season to refresh and re-energize, and be our #1 plan should we need a new Head Coach.

The point is, ease up with the panic, and stop thinking everything has to be handled only one of two ways.

Last edited:
Miles didn't earn another guaranteed 4 million dollars. Miles certainly could earn that if he actually puts together a solid year, but you folks with the notion that we have to keep all things smooth for a coach or the world comes to an end are wrong, and really generous with other people's money. Moos isn't poisoning the well, the problems are the byproduct of a business decision not to reward a .500 coach with what would potentially be an 8 million dollar buy out...and what is that supposed to guarantee us? Are we going to have a program that is consistently winning 20+ games? Are we making regular trips to the NCAAs? Have we seen either one of those yet?

And before you get on some rant about the need to cut Miles loose if we weren't going to support him, I'll remind you that in order to achieve the level of play I suggest, we need someone who can bring that. Moos very likely had a conversation with at least one candidate, and I'm guessing most knew who that was. He apparently said this wasn't the right time. If more than one did, and Moos didn't like the others he has on a short list, then I'm very happy he didn't put us in a position of doing a panic hire that could potentially put us in a position of paying off 2 former coaches in a couple of years. Let's see how the year plays out, let Moos work on some relationship building, see if Miles can put together back to back years, and see if someone in the coaching field distinguishes themselves to the point they attract our attention. Who knows, our best option might be finishing up a very successful career in a different league, planning to take next season to refresh and re-energize, and be our #1 plan should we need a new Head Coach.

The point is, ease up with the panic, and stop thinking everything has to be handled only one of two ways.
I am not panicking, I am saying that Moos isn't playing the game. The game is very ridiculous but it exists and to ignore it is even more ridiculous. Sure, Moos is going to save some money by not giving an extension but he is also stacking the deck against the program. And then, by losing staff and at least one recruit, you are digging the hole deeper for the next guy. And do we want a top-level guy for our next coach? Why would that guy come to a program whose AD makes his job harder?

I believe the term is cutting off the nose to spite the face.

If this was his way of doing things, why not just fire Miles after the season so we had a chance to really start over with a new guy? If there were talks with a prospective coach, I would hope there were several. And if this is the case, Miles is gone anyway and next season is just a smoke-screen and the lack of extension is just a way of setting up hurdles so that there will be a reason to do so. In my opinion, that is not a way to run an athletic department.

Last edited:

I’m not convinced Moos is a genius yet. He managed to not mess up the Frost to Nebraska connection, which he does deserve a lot of credit for. Say Moos went to Tennessee though, would he have landed Frost or a similar homerun hire? I have no doubt he’s better than at least 2 out of our 3 past AD’s though, but I’m not convinced he’s infallible yet.

Conversely, I can’t say it’s his fault, either. I’ve made it clear that I would have made the change. I can understand why he didn’t though. It’s some tricky water to navigate.

Xavier Johnson is really, really good. I would bet a lot of money that he’s a good player wherever he decides to go. It would/will suck losing him, but it’s one kid. If there’s one thing positive I can say about Miles, he has a knack for getting talent here. A lot of that may have been Kenya the past 5 years, but I wouldn’t underestimate Tim Miles ability to absorb this in terms of finding talent.

22 wins was great. Horrible schedule, but who are we to argue with our pathetic basketball history. That season saved him from getting fired this year. It didn't earn him a 4-year contract extension. Bring in some recruits, do it again and then he'll get his extension. That's how pathetic we are. All we are asking is that you don't make the NCAAs, get bounced in the NIT after 20 wins, and there's a good chance he get an extension. Most coaches would like those odds.

But if he runs to Barfy for another op-ed piece about how great he is, I'd fire him on the spot.

Last edited:
I’m not convinced Moos is a genius yet. He managed to not mess up the Frost to Nebraska connection, which he does deserve a lot of credit for. Say Moos went to Tennessee though, would he have landed Frost or a similar homerun hire? I have no doubt he’s better than at least 2 out of our 3 past AD’s though, but I’m not convinced he’s infallible yet.

Conversely, I can’t say it’s his fault, either. I’ve made it clear that I would have made the change. I can understand why he didn’t though. It’s some tricky water to navigate.

Xavier Johnson is really, really good. I would bet a lot of money that he’s a good player wherever he decides to go. It would/will suck losing him, but it’s one kid. If there’s one thing positive I can say about Miles, he has a knack for getting talent here. A lot of that may have been Kenya the past 5 years, but I wouldn’t underestimate Tim Miles ability to absorb this in terms of finding talent.

Yep. That's not to say that Moos isn't a quality AD, but hiring Scott Frost was no major challenge. What he does with the basketball and baseball programs will test his mettle.

Yep. That's not to say that Moos isn't a quality AD, but hiring Scott Frost was no major challenge. What he does with the basketball and baseball programs will test his mettle.

Wow, how soon we forget. Had the right people not said that the right leadership was in place, Frost very well could have stayed at UCF, or had his pick of several other jobs at good programs. Moos played the entire thing wisely and well, so if he’s not ready to extend Miles, and he isn’t thrilled with the candidates that didn’t say ‘no’, then let the man work. Burning a season and recruiting year is far from ideal, but lobbing 4 million around to make folks feel good, or hire someone who isn’t a top choice is far worse.

Wow, how soon we forget. Had the right people not said that the right leadership was in place, Frost very well could have stayed at UCF, or had his pick of several other jobs at good programs. Moos played the entire thing wisely and well, so if he’s not ready to extend Miles, and he isn’t thrilled with the candidates that didn’t say ‘no’, then let the man work. Burning a season and recruiting year is far from ideal, but lobbing 4 million around to make folks feel good, or hire someone who isn’t a top choice is far worse.

Did I suggest Eichorst would have been able to hire Frost? I don't think so. But I believe the majority of capable AD's would have. It wasn't that hard of a sale. It would have taken a poor AD to screw that up. And yes, Eichorst would have qualified as capable of screwing it up.

I also didn't say anything about whether or not Miles should have been fired, extended beyond a year, or whatever. But for the record, I'm "okay" with what Moos did. It was probably the best short-term solution (as I tend to believe, Moos didn't find a replacement that was interested). The test will come in the longer term. Especially if Miles and team doesn't improve from this season over the 2018-19 season. I'm skeptical with Miles. Such is the nature of being a Nebraska basketball fan.

You seem to be ultra-defensive tonight. ;)

Last edited:
22 wins was great. Horrible schedule, but who are we to argue with our pathetic basketball history. That season saved him from getting fired this year. It didn't earn him a 4-year contract extension. Bring in some recruits, do it again and then he'll get his extension. That's how pathetic we are. All we are asking is that you don't make the NCAAs, get bounced in the NIT after 20 wins, and there's a good chance he get an extension. Most coaches would like those odds.

But if he runs to Barfy for another op-ed piece about how great he is, I'd fire him on the spot.
Barfy has been a monumental moron for as long as he has covered NU bball.

Last edited:
Did I suggest Eichorst would have been able to hire Frost? I don't think so. But I believe the majority of capable AD's would have. It wasn't that hard of a sale. It would have taken a poor AD to screw that up. And yes, Eichorst would have qualified as capable of screwing it up.

I also didn't say anything about whether or not Miles should have been fired, extended beyond a year, or whatever. But for the record, I'm "okay" with what Moos did. It was probably the best short-term solution (as I tend to believe, Moos didn't find a replacement that was interested). The test will come in the longer term. Especially if Miles and team doesn't improve from this season over the 2018-19 season. I'm skeptical with Miles. Such is the nature of being a Nebraska basketball fan.

You seem to be ultra-defensive tonight. ;)

Defensive? I don’t believe so, but if I am, I’d prefer that over the panic I’m seeing in too many posts. So if I’m sounding chippy, I apologize, I just can’t see the logic in wasting money, or reaching on a coach. This is anything but an ideal situation. Long term extensions have zero to do with a coach’s job stability. We’ve seen plenty of coaches get an extension one year, and fired the next. Extensions are smoke and mirrors for any program that isn’t historically rock solid stable. In programs that aren’t in that rock solid category, the only thing they are is punitive. They punish the university and athletic department for wanting to change coaches.

Last edited:

Defensive? I don’t believe so, but if I am, I’d prefer that over the panic I’m seeing in too many posts. So if I’m sounding chippy, I apologize, I just can’t see the logic in wasting money, or reaching on a coach. This is anything but an ideal situation. Long term extensions have zero to do with a coach’s job stability. We’ve seen plenty of coaches get an extension one year, and fired the next. Extensions are smoke and mirrors for any program that isn’t historically rock solid stable. In programs that aren’t in that rock solid category, the only thing they are is punitive. They punish the university and athletic department for wanting to change coaches.

I don't think there's any panic expressed in posts here. Just differing opinions. Personally, I don't think there was an obvious best solution at this time in relation to the coaching situation. Which, in that case, I think staying pat for now is reasonable. If Moos had hired someone else, I wouldn't have been upset. If he's going with Miles for another season (which he is), I'm also not upset. It is what it is. For now anyways.

Last edited:
So a loi is really nothing?

https://www.unitedsportsusa.com/blog/what-is-the-letter-of-intent/

If you break a LOI by going to another college, you can still play at that college. You can even still get scholarship money. However, you will not be allowed to compete for 1 year. Since most colleges won’t give you scholarship money if you aren’t playing, breaking a Letter of Intent usually means you won’t be getting a scholarship from any college. Only after 1 year is up will you be able to compete again.

If you sign a LOI and then change your mind, it is possible to appeal it and ask for a release. After all, colleges don’t want student athletes who don’t really want to be there. In most cases, the NCAA does grant the release. However, don’t count on this happening. Make sure you are satisfied with the scholarship offer and really want to go to the college before you sign!

https://www.unitedsportsusa.com/blog/what-is-the-letter-of-intent/

If you break a LOI by going to another college, you can still play at that college. You can even still get scholarship money. However, you will not be allowed to compete for 1 year. Since most colleges won’t give you scholarship money if you aren’t playing, breaking a Letter of Intent usually means you won’t be getting a scholarship from any college. Only after 1 year is up will you be able to compete again.

If you sign a LOI and then change your mind, it is possible to appeal it and ask for a release. After all, colleges don’t want student athletes who don’t really want to be there. In most cases, the NCAA does grant the release. However, don’t count on this happening. Make sure you are satisfied with the scholarship offer and really want to go to the college before you sign!
Thanks!

So I guess someone saying: " I won't rest easy until the kid signs his Loi!" really holds no water either!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back