• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wyatt Mazour

Wyatt plays so hard it seems. I would like to see the coaching staff develop plays that would get the ball to our walkons several times a game. I think it would be a good incentive for future walk ons and a nice reward for those young men that work so hard.
I think Wyatt has some special talent. If they design something because they truly think that he would be the best one for that particular play I'm alright with it. Or maybe because its an opportunity to give another player a spell. I would be a little concerned with the message if it was just designed to give a Nebraska boy some carries when more deserving or qualified players are farther up the depth chart. I see what you are saying as a reward for walk on't but its a slippery slope.

th

I think Wyatt has some special talent. If they design something because they truly think that he would be the best one for that particular play I'm alright with it. Or maybe because its an opportunity to give another player a spell. I would be a little concerned with the message if it was just designed to give a Nebraska boy some carries when more deserving or qualified players are farther up the depth chart. I see what you are saying as a reward for walk on't but its a slippery slope.

for our program to reach the point we want it to, we need walk-ons to produce and not just as practice filler. To me that means the same training, coaching, S&C, and opportunity as everyone else on the roster, but the key word is "opportunity". They get the opportunity to earn their time on the field.

Warner did just that last year, going from nowhere to starting. Mazour will get time if he earns in practice.

FWIW, his athleticism definitely fits with a lot of scholarship backs around the country - I am guess his 40 is around 4.4 - 4.5 and his shuttle's likely 4.2 or lower, vertical maybe 33 to 34. He's had some injuries over the years (concussion as one of them?) that have held him back, but if he's healthy he can fit in and he'll compete for those snaps

for our program to reach the point we want it to, we need walk-ons to produce and not just as practice filler. To me that means the same training, coaching, S&C, and opportunity as everyone else on the roster, but the key word is "opportunity". They get the opportunity to earn their time on the field.

Warner did just that last year, going from nowhere to starting. Mazour will get time if he earns in practice.

FWIW, his athleticism definitely fits with a lot of scholarship backs around the country - I am guess his 40 is around 4.4 - 4.5 and his shuttle's likely 4.2 or lower, vertical maybe 33 to 34. He's had some injuries over the years (concussion as one of them?) that have held him back, but if he's healthy he can fit in and he'll compete for those snaps
I don't think anyone is denying he has skills. The point of contention is are those skills enough to overcome others who "the coaches" feel are better. Now will that change by fall? Its quite possible but only the coaches will have the opportunity to tell. I think the issue is whether they design plays for him or put him in based on being a walk-on for the purpose of sending a message. As I said I think this is a slippery slope as it can also send a message that they are bypassing people on the depth chart for the purpose of getting a walk on playing time.

As for is he getting the same practice opportunities. Well I have to believe the coaches are giving the best practice opportunities to the players who they feel are most deserving of them. Will that be Wyatt?

I don't think anyone is denying he has skills. The point of contention is are those skills enough to overcome others who "the coaches" feel are better. Now will that change by fall? Its quite possible but only the coaches will have the opportunity to tell. I think the issue is whether they design plays for him or put him in based on being a walk-on for the purpose of sending a message. As I said I think this is a slippery slope as it can also send a message that they are bypassing people on the depth chart for the purpose of getting a walk on playing time.

As for is he getting the same practice opportunities. Well I have to believe the coaches are giving the best practice opportunities to the players who they feel are most deserving of them. Will that be Wyatt?

totally agree. We'll see how good he can do, but they aren't going to design their offense so that the walk-on can get some carries.

The practice opportunities is a good point also. Warner really had a bit of luck as they WR's were struggling (and I think some people were out) and the coach said whoever graded best in practice was going to get snaps.. and lo and behold, Warner graded best. The ability to run multiple stations at a high level may have been a big part of what Osborne did, and last year we struggled to get one full unit on the same page on offense and defense, much less 2, but I think Frost is making a real commitment to getting there. Multiple stations means more opportunity and more development, IMO

Am I overly cynical if I want to skate up to them and yell, “are you blanking crazy? Don’t do it!!!!”
If not cynical, at least a little bit jaded, sad, bitter, or something. Marrying my wife was the wisest thing that I ever did, and I can't imagine my life without her. I understand that a lot of marriages don't work out, and I'm all for finding ways to help people stay happily married. The last thing that the U.S. needs right now is more kids growing up without both their mom and their dad.

I'm sorry for coming down like a ton of bricks, but that's how I see it.

If not cynical, at least a little bit jaded, sad, bitter, or something. Marrying my wife was the wisest thing that I ever did, and I can't imagine my life without her. I understand that a lot of marriages don't work out, and I'm all for finding ways to help people stay happily married. The last thing that the U.S. needs right now is more kids growing up without both their mom and their dad.

Yeah, jaded is probably more accurate. I would never actually encourage someone to not marry someone they love. Comments like that generally have become my way of dealing with what was probably the most difficult thing I’ve ever dealt with. I also agree that it is very difficult on kids. I don’t know what the answer is, but everyone needs to look at decisions they make and how they effect the people around them, and I definitely include myself in “everyone”.

Last edited:
Yeah... great idea. Let's design plays away from the best players. That'll help recruiting. Go watch your VHS of Rudy again.

A good team receives production from everyone. That's why they are a team! We need to keep this walk on tradition strong! That's how we will win championships again!

But for many guys, their production comes on the practice field.

That is what makes those on the field on game day so much better. We need those great practice squads. I have heard it from numerous players from the 1990s, gameday was usually way easier than practice the entire week. Most practice squad players don't get the credit they deserve. But some of those practice squad player develop enough going against the best during the week, they too get to see some game time on Saturday. A win - win situation.

I know you know this, but, married, divorced, whatever, has nothing to do with whether you spend your life with someone or if you are involved with your kids.

I know you know this, but, married, divorced, whatever, has nothing to do with whether you spend your life with someone or if you are involved with your kids.
In theory, that sounds great. In reality, though, every day I deal with the destructive effects of broken relationships in a school where 90+% of the students don't live with their father, and roughly 2/3 of them have no relationship with their father by any standard definition of that term.

Yes, it's true that getting married has about a 50/50 chance of ending in divorce. Having children out of wedlock may avoid divorce, but more often than not it means that there isn't any father in the picture at all, and the guy who is shacked up with Mom is the #1 candidate for abusing the children in every way imaginable.

Marriage is hard, and I'm not going to pretend that everyone should get married and stay married. What I am saying is that people who can't commit to staying together for the rest of their child's life should not be having children. It's narcissistic to think that one parent of either gender can be both parents, and kids need both. Also, for what it's worth, not all single-parent homes are equal. The children of those who die in the line of service have an almost infinitely better chance at graduating from high school, avoiding prison, getting a job, and maintaining a stable marriage of their own than do those who were abandoned by one or more parents.

Finally, being "involved with your kids" is not what is meant by "parenting." I'm a teacher and a coach, and I'm involved with your kids, but I can't replace the absentee parents that my students are craving.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back