• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR Xavier Watts Commits To Notre Dame

I just don't think I would want to play for ND for the simple fact that they are so limited by their schedule from having real rivalries and from getting into CFP. Not being in an actual conference just doesn't seem like it would be much fun. The only thing your team is playing for is to get into a better bowl game since you can't win a Conference title game. Sure, the school has a historic tradition and it is a good college, but it would be difficult to get up for games after your team loses two games, since your team is playing for nothing really after that other than a better bowl game.
Except they were in the CFP just last year. Notre Dame goes undefeated and they get in regardless of being an independent.

The local sports radio shows will get their licks in on this issue tomorrow, and I'm guessing most will be level headed and reasonable. Then hopefully the issued dies off quickly.

EDIT: I just read on another site that according to a ND insider that Nebraska was not even Watts second choice. Not sure if that is true but it could change the narrative if it is true, especially for the radio sports guys who are more "tightly wrapped" than others. I can imagine it going down like this on Early Break with Jake Sorensen and Steve Sipple:

Jake: OH MY GOD!!!! XAVIER WATTS PICKED NOTRE DAME!! SIP, NEBRASKA WASN’T EVEN IN THE BALLPARK! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? WHY CAN’T FROST LOCK DOWN THE NEBRASKA KIDS!!

Sipple: Jake, calm down.

Jake: HOW CAN I CALM DOWN? YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS TO THE PROGRAM? I DON’T EITHER BUT IT CAN’T BE GOOD!!

Sipple: Now Jake, stop acting like a millennial. No wait – you are a millennial.

Jake: IS FROST ON THE HOT SEAT NOW? IS MOOS ON HIS WAY OUT? SOMEONE REMOVE THE SHARP OBJECTS FROM MY DESK!!!!

Last edited:
If we can kill it this year we always have a chance to get him back. Win 10 games with a killer offense and he'll have something to think about. Right now ND is the better choice and I absolutely hate ND.

If we can kill it this year we always have a chance to get him back. Win 10 games with a killer offense and he'll have something to think about. Right now ND is the better choice and I absolutely hate ND.
I agree. I would add that it would help if Notre Dame got beat by Georgia, Michigan, USC, and Stanford, especially if a couple of those were blowouts. Brian Kelly took N.D. to the 2012 BCS Championship, but the bloom was off the rose within a couple of seasons as they backslid. He is only two years removed from being considered on the proverbial "hot seat" going into the 2017 season after going 4-8 in 2016. Even though they made the CFP last year, getting blown out by Clemson dampened the positive vibe from that. If things start heating up again, I think that Kelly would take a long hard look at NFL offers, which have come in the past. If N.D. were to lose 4 games this year, things would heat up again. I have nothing against Kelly, and I don't loathe Notre Dame, but I'm just putting it out there that this could happen.

Last edited:
Even without recent success being taken into consideration, you can't blame a kid for picking ND. All the tradition one could ask for and a top notch education. Some kids just want to get away from home and see whats out there. Good luck to him, but I hope he changes his mind.

@Navythomas8

Was that you on Twitter responding to X's commitment tweet? You, and others, got blasted by Sharpe and Benning this morning. I'm hoping it wasn't you because that was completely classless.

I don’t think this ones over yet....

Close friend of mine played for Florida State in the 2000s and he’s hell bent that they’re getting Brian Kelly. I hope our coaches have stayed on him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back